Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for peeling nails

• 03-05-2013 7:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

As the title says I have been having a problem with my nails peeling for the last few months. It's just right at the tip. Any advice on how to remedy this? My nails are quite weak in general. Would love to get them back to their original health.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Mine were like this too (particularly my index fingers), but after buying loads of different anti-split polishes it finally stopped when I bought Essie Grow Stronger. I picked it up for around E7 in TK Maxx, but I don't think it's too much more instore.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

I tend to have really weak nails but find that taking Vitamin D really helps. We've a big shortage of Vit D in Ireland and its so important for our health. I take a multivitamin every morning and 2-3 Beeline Vit D tablets as well. Although the multivitamin is supposed to have 100% of your RDA there are some thoughts that that is way too low, and I've definitely found that taking extra makes a big difference. I really notice the difference in my nails - they're quite strong now!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Susie120704

It may be an old wives tale but my mother swears by jelly to strengthen her nails. She has fabulous nails and makes sure to eat jelly twice a week. I can't confirm as am a biter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Mountaingrey

I'll try get my hands on some vitamin tablets tomorrow. Also I love jelly so wouldn't mind trying out your suggestion either:)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

Let us know how it goes! Give the vitamins time to kick in. By the way I take a multivitamin plus 2 Beeline Vit D (25mcg each) every morning and that really works for me. Make sure you wear gloves when washing up or going any housework too - cleaners are very harsh on hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

My nails have been in an awful state for years. Always, breaking, pealing, growing awfully.

I tried taking Perfectil Skin and Nails a few months ago, think I'm on my third box, and my nails have never looked better. They're REALLY strong which tends to freak me out a bit!

It's amazing though. I've had no breakage in that time which is a huge milestone for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Do you buff your nails? I love the shine it gives but you pay for it later when the bottom part of the nail reaches the tip - I've almost completely stopped buffing and that made a big difference. Also, vitamin B & E are good for boosting hair/nails/skin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    My nails have been in an awful state for years. Always, breaking, pealing, growing awfully.

I tried taking Perfectil Skin and Nails a few months ago, think I'm on my third box, and my nails have never looked better. They're REALLY strong which tends to freak me out a bit!

It's amazing though. I've had no breakage in that time which is a huge milestone for me.

How much does it cost per box in Ireland?

Faith wrote: »
    How much does it cost per box in Ireland?

It costs anywhere from e8 to e12. It's usually on offer in either Doc Morris, Boot's or Hickey's Pharmacy so I look around before buying a box.

And really, with the positive effects I think it's not a bad price for 30 tablets. Well worth it because it was traumatic having such awful nails for years.

Try it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    It costs anywhere from e8 to e12. It's usually on offer in either Doc Morris, Boot's or Hickey's Pharmacy so I look around before buying a box.

And really, with the positive effects I think it's not a bad price for 30 tablets. Well worth it because it was traumatic having such awful nails for years.

Try it.

Thanks, I will. I'm in the UK now and it's about £6.50 a box here, so I might buy a couple of boxes before I move back.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    Thanks, I will. I'm in the UK now and it's about £6.50 a box here, so I might buy a couple of boxes before I move back.

Ooh! That's really cheap. Definitely try it. My nails had been so bad for so long I'd tried everything.

I thought covering them with varnish would strengthen them. I thought cuticle oil would stop the pealing. I used Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, all sorts of hand creams and lotions. I tried Vitamin B. I tried Vitamin E. You name it, I took it.

Perfectil is the ONLY thing that worked. As I said before, the strength of them now kind of is a bit weird but that's only because I'm not used to it! It's probably how they were always meant to be!!

Advertisement