Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for new flats!

Options
  • 03-05-2013 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭

Summer's approaching fast and I'm looking forward to some short quick ones on the road. My current 5k shoes are the Adizero PRO 4, I still like them but do find them a bit narrow.
    Not afraid of a low drop most of my miles are in sub 9mm with a fair chunk in sub 6mm.
    Thinking of Brooks T7 (love my ST5's) or Saucony Type A5 (based on good recent experience with the Kinvara 3). I love my various Inov8's, but not sure they cut it as a racer.

Anything else that I should throw in the mix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you like the Kinvaras, you'll like these. Great price too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I can only say that I have worn most of the shoes you have and Nike Lunarracers are by far my favourite shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

That's a great price.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    That's a great price.
    That's where I got mine and what I paid (it's a very good site). We just have to make sure that we don't clash at races. :D
    They are also selling Kinvara 3's for very cheap. Just not available in my size, sadly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bah I got excited when I saw the price and went searching for the wimmens at that price. Don't have my size. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Summer's approaching fast and I'm looking forward to some short quick ones on the road. My current 5k shoes are the Adizero PRO 4, I still like them but do find them a bit narrow.
    Not afraid of a low drop most of my miles are in sub 9mm with a fair chunk in sub 6mm.
    Thinking of Brooks T7 (love my ST5's) or Saucony Type A5 (based on good recent experience with the Kinvara 3). I love my various Inov8's, but not sure they cut it as a racer.

Anything else that I should throw in the mix?

Well I did my first race in the inov-8 road-x-treme 178 last Tuesday. Just missed sub 20 by a few seconds, but still a pb.
    Not sure how easy it would be to get hold of a pair to try on, but I'm really impressed with them so far.

Well I did my first race in the inov-8 road-x-treme 178 last Tuesday. Just missed sub 20 by a few seconds, but still a pb.
    Not sure how easy it would be to get hold of a pair to try on, but I'm really impressed with them so far.

What's the fit like on those, I find I'm either UK 9.5 (f Lite, mud-roc) or 10 (Road X, TR)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

What's the fit like on those, I find I'm either UK 9.5 (f Lite, mud-roc) or 10 (Road X, TR)?

Its the same fit as the Road-X & TrailRoc, they're the only shoes I have and I went with the same size, seems fine so far.

Sounds strange to me that you'd downsize the flite or mudroc, as they're both on the narrower last - though I believe there's a newer version on the anatomical last they use on the road shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I'm thinking of getting these but don't know anything about saucony sizing. I'm a 10.5 in asics & brooks. Thinking of taking a chance any going with the same. Any opinions?

TRR wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting these but don't know anything about saucony sizing. I'm a 10.5 in asics & brooks. Thinking of taking a chance any going with the same. Any opinions?
    Can only compare with Mizuno, and they're bang-on for me (Precision/Waverider). All size 10.0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Same size.

Its the same fit as the Road-X & TrailRoc, they're the only shoes I have and I went with the same size, seems fine so far.

Sounds strange to me that you'd downsize the flite or mudroc, as they're both on the narrower last - though I believe there's a newer version on the anatomical last they use on the road shoes.

Find the f Lite and the mudroc slightly longer, I've a narrow foot anyway.
    Bought a pair of 178's today, probably won't get to wear them for a few weeks, will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Nice recommendation Krusty, just picked up a pair of Kinvara's for €64 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

antomagoo wrote: »
    Nice recommendation Krusty, just picked up a pair of Kinvara's for €64 :D

Don't have my size. Let me know how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I have the Brooks ST Racer 5 and I love them. I've worn them for races up to 10k and I often wear them for shorter runs (maybe a fast lunchtime 4 or 5 miles). Just wondering 2 things:

1) Do lighter shoes like this wear out faster and how do you know if they're worn out?

2) if wear-wise & psychologically i'd like to keep them for races, do brooks do anything similar I could wear just for general training / longer races? I currently wear the Ghost, which I really like & have had no problems with, but sometimes when i put them on after the ST 5s they feel like they have a lot of sole ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Any racer is a relatively short life shoe, you just kinda know when they're done, there's nothing definitive about them, like any shoe they just feel done. It's possible the upper will wear out first and that will be a good guide.

Brooks are relaunching a shoe soon 'Launch' which used to sit really nicely between the Ghost / Glycerin and racing shoe in terms of weight and longevity. ASICS are also doing a neutral DS Trainer which will be a similar weight and structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Brilliant. Thanks!! Yes I heard the Launch (& its relaunch!) mentioned on Facebook. I must try it on when it comes in.

I seem to be quite light on shoes - maybe because I alternate 3 or 4 pairs - but none of them seem to wear out, really, and I definitely have way more than 500 miles on 2 of my Ghosts and they still seem fine. I'll keep an eye on the ST5s for signs of wear though.

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I ordered these and they arrived in the post this morning :)

The last pair of shoes I bought online were delivered but the left shoe was missing (in fairness to the compnay they sent out a replacement pair). When I picked up the box this morning I was thinking oh no hear we go again except this time I was expecting no shoes in the box. Happily they are both present and sooooooooooooooooooooo light :)

The last pair of shoes I bought online were delivered but the left shoe was missing (in fairness to the compnay they sent out a replacement pair). When I picked up the box this morning I was thinking oh no hear we go again except this time I was expecting no shoes in the box. Happily they are both present and sooooooooooooooooooooo light :)

Didn't have my size left so I went with the 178's, if my quads are still talking to me later I'm might take them for a short spin on the treadie.

One word of caution (which I'm sure you don't need) but one of the lads in the club picked up a pair of these shoes and had a fair bit of calf trouble since. On the other hand I jumped into them and wore them for a few long sessions and three 5k races, without any issues. The only key difference is that I'd been wearing the Saucony Kinvara 3s, which may have helped with transitioning to the significantly lighter and lower drop A5. So take it handy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

One word of caution (which I'm sure you don't need) but one of the lads in the club picked up a pair of these shoes and had a fair bit of calf trouble since. On the other hand I jumped into them and wore them for a few long sessions and three 5k races, without any issues. The only key difference is that I'd been wearing the Saucony Kinvara 3s, which may have helped with transitioning to the significantly lighter and lower drop A5. So take it handy!

Agreed, but watching TRR go from Kayanos to A5's could be fun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

I tried on a pair of Kinvara 4's at lunchtime. Feels like a lovely shoe...might pop back over after work and pick them up. Is there much difference between them and the A5'S - which model is newer?

On a slightly different issue. I have always done my longer runs inn Asics GT series shoes. Very happy with them, injury free for couple of years, They are however a bit bulky and I would ideally like to move onto something a bit sleeker and lightweight. I would like to get up on my toes a bit more instead of plodding along.
    Any suggestions anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    I tried on a pair of Kinvara 4's at lunchtime. Feels like a lovely shoe...might pop back over after work and pick them up. Is there much difference between them and the A5'S - which model is newer?

On a slightly different issue. I have always done my longer runs inn Asics GT series shoes. Very happy with them, injury free for couple of years, They are however a bit bulky and I would ideally like to move onto something a bit sleeker and lightweight. I would like to get up on my toes a bit more instead of plodding along.
    Any suggestions anyone?

If I'm not mistaken : the K4 is the newer model [ I've got K3 ]
    The difference is that the Kinvara is a 4mm drop whereas the A5 is Zero drop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Vico1612 wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken : the K4 is the newer model [ I've got K3 ]
    The difference is that the Kinvara is a 4mm drop whereas the A5 is Zero drop

A5 is also 4mm drop but a much much lighter shoe.

Giving the Inov-8 Road-x-treme 178's a spin tonight on a gentle pacing duty 5k (20min).
    Reported US sz 8 weight - 178gms
    Actual UK sz 10 weight - 217gms
    3mm drop
    I like the way the tongue is stitched in place on one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

EauRouge79 wrote: »

Any suggestions anyone?

Bought myself a pair of under armour charge rc2. 5mm drop and hopefully a good move forward from my asics. Fit like a glove and light as well. They seem good for training but also may fit the bill for racing.

Advertisement