Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the fcuk is using up the memory on my HTC wondows phone 8x???

• 03-05-2013 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

If you're thinking off getting a new windows phone 8.... avoid this piece of siht!

I keep having to delete apps to free up space... If there is very little space on the internal memory, other items won't work like youtube will not load, soccer live scores won't load and I have to sign in every time I visit any websites that I would normally be signed into like faceboard or boards!

I have an SD card that I save all my music and phtography to so that is not taking up space!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Windows Phone 8 currently has a big problem with useless data being saved in a section called "Other" on the phones memory. I've got a HTC Windows Phone 8S, so I know how much of a pain it is.

Check the Storage in Settings and see whats taking up all the space, its probably 'Other', if so, back up all your data, and reset the phone. This will clear that space. But the problem will reappear within a few weeks.

So your options are basically;

1. Wait for the problem to be fixed (No info on if/when thats actually going to happen)

2. Scrap the phone and get a new one.

Windows Phone 8 is actually pretty decent, but I wouldn't recommend one to anyone until problems like this get fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

DjFlin wrote: »
    Windows Phone 8 currently has a big problem with useless data being saved in a section called "Other" on the phones memory. I've got a HTC Windows Phone 8S, so I know how much of a pain it is.

Check the Storage in Settings and see whats taking up all the space, its probably 'Other', if so, back up all your data, and reset the phone. This will clear that space. But the problem will reappear within a few weeks.

So your options are basically;

1. Wait for the problem to be fixed (No info on if/when thats actually going to happen)

2. Scrap the phone and get a new one.

Windows Phone 8 is actually pretty decent, but I wouldn't recommend one to anyone until problems like this get fixed.

Cheers mate.... might try that....

Have no probs with Windows Phone as a OS but the memory issue on the HTC WP8s makes the OS practically obsolete!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Was wondering why 02 were selling them for sub €180 lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Is it just HTC windows 8 phones with this problem or is it all windows 8 phones including Nokia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

This has been sorted on the Nokia windows phones with a utility called Storage Check, which lets you clear temp files, cache etc but also identify which apps are taking up space. Eg the tumblr app takes up crazy amounts of space. Anyway I believe a similar app is coming to the HTC apps shortly but will require a firmware update, thus the delay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The problem the HTC 8s is it only has 4GB internal RAM, and they've only left 1.2GB for the user to use. Most other phones have 8GB or more. As W8 can't install apps to the MicroSD card, you're kinda stuff for installing apps, and application data. So unless they strip out the apps you can't uninstall from a new firmware, or MS let you install apps to SD card. Its very flawed.

The 8x shouldn't have that problem. Something else going on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

At last an explanation for my HTC 8s nighmares! I regret straying from my iphone 4. Wont send texts or receive updates, crashing randomly, losing login details to apps. Royal PITA.

Bought the phone in January 2013 as a low cost (€19) experiment as was bored with Apple. Should have known fromn the price!!

I will beg three to take the thing back as its faulty if this is a WP8 os problem.

MrBlack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Well moving apps to SD card only came in on Android on 2.2 or 2.3 AFAIK.

The issue is just worse on the 8s as its internal/local storage (not ram) is 4GB rather than 8GB on most other W8 phones.

I don't have a W8 phone, so this maybe bad advice. But if you do a clearout of your apps and data, does the phone work ok. Is there some apps you can load, or something in the OS to check free space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

See http://www.wpcentral.com/install-apps-sd-card-tested-out-windows-phone-8

The phone is not faulty it just does not have enough ram, it seems you are a power user needing a lot of apps installed, these issues would not be happening with a slightly higher end phone, there is no comparison with the iphone as it not a low end phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

simi956 wrote: »

The phone is not faulty it just does not have enough ram, it seems you are a power user needing a lot of apps installed, these issues would not be happening with a slightly higher end phone, there is no comparison with the iphone as it not a low end phone

I respectfully disagree with you that the phone is not faulty.
    If it keeps filling up its "other" folder in the phone memory and this cannot be deleted without a hard reset which returns it to factory reset then I think its not fit for purpose. False/misleading advertising at the least-although the information that came with the phone was on the sparse side, in that there wasnt much really-just a white box with warranty, WP8 EULA and quick guide

I have about 15 apps roughly including kindle, skype, whatsapp rte news, BBC news etc. The phone has a 32gig card for music & photos as I knew the phone didnt have much internal memory, but I wasn't told that when this hidden folder gets full, the only solution is to wipe the phone and reinstall every thing from scratch.

Overall the whole WP8 OS has been disappointing to me and I really wanted it to work as I am a heavy excel user and liked the ability to access excel files on the phone and the good link to skydrive.
    Now I'd gladly slink back preferably to apple or even android.

• Advertisement

simi956 wrote: »

Its not ram. Most of the low & mid W8 phones have 512MB of ram which is fine for W8.

Its the local storage with 4GB. Most of the others have 8GB or more.

Also you can't move apps and I assume app data to the SD card. I assume this is something MS will fix eventually.

mrblack wrote: »
    ...The phone has a 32gig card for music & photos as I knew the phone didnt have much internal memory, but I wasn't told that when this hidden folder gets full, the only solution is to wipe the phone and reinstall every thing from scratch.....

Have you tried apps like these? Again I never used them, so try at your own risk.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/storage-cleaner/7112c24b-3e72-4dd2-8105-606e9d04b58f

http://smartphones.wonderhowto.com/how-to/eliminate-excess-junk-data-your-windows-phone-8-free-up-more-storage-space-0143705/

Steve has a rant about the HTC 8s at the end of this video.

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/flow/item/16847_The_Nokia_Lumia_620_reviewed_a.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

I've deleted a good few apps, pictures, all my videos and music, downloaded an app to clear storage, restarted the phone and I have managed to free up ZERO space.. well according to one section of my phone anyway!

Here's what it says in the Make More Space app:

MMS_zpsf8b58ab3.jpg

Here's what it displays in the Settings > Phone Storage section:

wp_ss_20130820_0001_zps686664c3.jpg

This makes no sense!

Advertisement