Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara Adventure Challenge 2013

Options
  • 03-05-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey folks, didn't see anyone talking about this yet so thought I'd get the ball rolling (hope I'm in the right place!)...

Signed up for the Connemara Adventure Challenge this year after catching the running bug (like so many others) in a big way in the last year or so.

Both incredibly excited and incredibly nervous for next Saturday.

I haven't given a lot of thought to my time...I just want to finish in one piece! It's the first time I've done anything on this scale, so I'd love to hear from both first-timers and vets with pointers etc on what to do/not to do for this final week. I'm also a kayak novice so if anyone had any tips for that section (which I hear is surprisingly tough) they would be greatly appreciated.

Best of luck to everyone who has signed up, feicfidh mé sibh  i gConamara!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

You'll really enjoy it, just relax and take your time initially as the first km through the bog will suck all the energy out of your legs if you try and hare off. The surface after that is much better.

The kayaking isn't too bad at all, have a look at the training video on the Gaelforce website if you've never done it before and put the heaviest person in the back (make friends in the transition!). I find remembering to move and stretch my legs a little bit in the kayak wards off stiffness, as you're sitting with your hips flexed after running and cycling. But even if you're not the most expert pair out there on the water you will be grand. Remember to admire the view!

It's a fun day out, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MackieAttackie

Thanks a mill Whistlejacket, really looking forward to it. All that's left to do now is to pray for as little wind/rain as possible (forecast isn't optimistic!)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Put the person who can steer in the back of the kayak. ;)

Advertisement