Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzing from trip switch after change to night meter

Options
  • 04-05-2013 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hello,

Have got day/night supply in the house, when the night/storage heaters kick in there is the loud thump/click, tonight when this happened a buzzing/hissing noise started from the fuse box.

To investigate I turned some of the trip switches off then back on to see if the noise would stop. The noise appeared to be coming from a single trip switch as when I flicked it off it stopped, turning it back on again the noise did not come back.

Could anyone let me know what sort of problem this could be??

Comments

froger wrote: »
    Hello,

Have got day/night supply in the house, when the night/storage heaters kick in there is the loud thump/click, tonight when this happened a buzzing/hissing noise started from the fuse box.

To investigate I turned some of the trip switches off then back on to see if the noise would stop. The noise appeared to be coming from a single trip switch as when I flicked it off it stopped, turning it back on again the noise did not come back.

Could anyone let me know what sort of problem this could be??
    I'd say the contactor for the night storage heating is on its last legs and needs replacing. It happens. Get an Electrician in to have a look and replace the contactor. Quick, easy and cheap enough fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well if the buzzing stopped when an MCB was switched off, and the contactor was still on, then its likely a loose terminal on the MCB, or a faulty mcb.

If it is a problem MCB, and it only starts buzzing when the heating comes on, is it one of the storage heater mcb`s that was buzzing froger?

Or what does the MCB control?

Loud buzzing from contractors themselves is caused by dirt or rust on the pole faces that close against each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 froger

The buzzing is from one of the storage heater MCBs once turned off it stopped.

I will need to get that checked out then, will leaving the MCB off be okay for the weekend before getting someone in to check it out.

Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

froger wrote: »
    The buzzing is from one of the storage heater MCBs once turned off it stopped.

I will need to get that checked out then, will leaving the MCB off be okay for the weekend before getting someone in to check it out.

Thanks for the replies.

Yea it will be fine. likely a loose terminal on the MCB or MCB is faulty, if it is an actual heater MCB controlling 1 heater.

Advertisement