Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Championship final day madness!

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Delighted for the Irish lads at Hull

Elmohamady I thought was hilarious,throwing a few shapes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

On a plus side, Liverpool fans get to sing the Steve Bruce chant again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

All drama'd out after that. Crazy day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I fancy Brighton for the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

cambo2008 wrote: »
    All drama'd out after that. Crazy day.

Crazy day indeed. Great stuff, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Love the championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brighton for me, playing well and they didn't have a trauma today.

Must say I'd love to see Gus Poyet take them up though he might get head hunted for Newcastle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Danny Baker @prodnose
    Football. ****ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive bastards.

Sean Hewitt @WafcSean
    The Hull players look like Stoke fans on deadline day.
    2:54 PM - 4 May 2013

From 101greatgoals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

amazing West doing East a favour.

Still Wednesday staying up is all that really matters.

Was at Peterbrough last saturday for the game, i hope you enjoyed your pitch invasion...lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Forget the Premier League, i absolutely love the lower leagues of English football!! They're just brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

mike65 wrote: »
    Brighton for me, playing well and they didn't have a trauma today.

Must say I'd love to see Gus Poyet take them up though he might get head hunted for Newcastle!

Yep I think Brighton will do it too. They are the best passing side in the division, I've seen them play Cardiff and Hull off the pitch without winning. They certainly outplayed us at the Amex. All they were lacking was consistency, which they seemed to have sorted in the last ten games. They finished the season on fire.

And they play their hated rivals Palace too!

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Billy Davies gave his post-match press conference at the same time as his pre-match press conference. :pac:
    Leave Billy Davies alone. Billy Davies is his own man. Billy Davies does not respond to such scurriless attacks on his character. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Absolutely gutted. **** way to not get up. Hope it doesn't do damage to the morale for the Play Offs because they're clearly the best team of the 4.

Now to look at flights for May 27th if they do win the semi :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Tits :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Special mention must go to Dean Saunders who has relegated two teams in two years, and also to Roger Johnson who has completed his third relegation in three years. Best of luck in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Watford

why_rage_guy_184790632.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Paul Mcshane back where he belongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

One of the only guys who doesn't like Watford then?

Delighted to see Hull pip them for the auto spot, hopefully they wont be able to pull themselves together for the playoffs either.

Not to worry though, will just take 75 players on loan next season and that will do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Mcshane - the legend lives on ;)

kryogen wrote: »

Delighted to see Hull pip them for the auto spot, hopefully they wont be able to pull themselves together for the playoffs either.

Not to worry though, will just take 75 players on loan next season and that will do the trick.

Nothing wrong with it. Teams use feeder clubs all the time. Just because this is a bit higher up people are up in arms about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

They won't be able to do that because of a forthcoming change in the rules. No lover of Hull because I can't stand Steve Bruce, but I'd rather they went up than Watford because of the way they exploited a loophole in the rules this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Watford unfortunately don't have the option of charging ridiculous amounts into games and then spending that on wages of players who earn what about 10 of Watford do combined,

There are plenty of problems in English football, this ranks pretty low.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with it. Teams use feeder clubs all the time. Just because this is a bit higher up people are up in arms about it.

Watford's situation has nothing to do with feeder teams. Watford, Udinese and Malaga have shared ownership, and the owners exploited a loophole whereby foreign loans are counted as permanent transfers rather than loans. A club is only allowed play a maximum of 5 loan players at any time, but Watford could have conceivably started with 11 due to the fact that they were loaned from Italy and Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

I think Palace might prevail in the playoffs (also the fact the did P'boro is not biasing me in anyway!!)

All 4 teams have a chance but the auto spot was there for Watford to take and they missed it which has to hurt and for that reason I dont reckon they will make it.

Would not surprise me at all if Leicster get the final spot....

Zaph wrote: »
    Watford's situation has nothing to do with feeder teams. Watford, Udinese and Malaga have shared ownership, and the owners exploited a loophole whereby foreign loans are counted as permanent transfers rather than loans. A club is only allowed play a maximum of 5 loan players at any time, but Watford could have conceivably started with 11 due to the fact that they were loaned from Italy and Spain.

I've heard that a lot will be bought for next season, obviously for minimal fees. It's Granada who are the Spanish club owned by the Pozzos.

Although not released publicly yet I don't think, talk is Vydra has signed permanently for Watford for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ah I was wondering what Watford did to raise all the ire here. Cheeky little loophole to exploit to be honest.

What is the ethical issue with loan deals though? I don't get it.

SantryRed wrote: »
    I've heard that a lot will be bought for next season, obviously for minimal fees. It's Granada who are the Spanish club owned by the Pozzos.

Although not released publicly yet I don't think, talk is Vydra has signed permanently for Watford for next year.

Sorry, meant to say Granada.

Can't see anyone being bought until next January due to the transfer embargo. Except if they need a keeper in a hurry, I doubt that the league will be making too many exceptions for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

CSF wrote: »

Doesn't the team where the loaned players go not have to pay their wages? I think that's where the issue comes from. Watford were more than likely saving thousands each week by not having to pay the loaned players' wages.

The league rules don't allow more than 5 loanees to play at a time, presumably to ensure that clubs don't pack their teams with talent that they otherwise couldn't afford to sign, and end up neglecting the players already on their books.

• Advertisement

The league rules don't allow more than 5 loanees to play at a time, presumably to ensure that clubs don't pack their teams with talent that they otherwise couldn't afford to sign, and end up neglecting the players already on their books.

I'm still not getting why this is anymore of a problem than teams with lots of money signing similar players and neglecting the players already on their books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Wolves should never have sacked Mick McCarthy last year. Secondly, they should have eaten some humble pie during the season and have gotten McCarthy back before he went to Ipswich.

Charlton fans at one time were fed up of Curbishley and mid-table security in the Premier League. When Curnishley left, Charlton dropped badly.

McCarthy was the first Wolves manager in 30 years to have kept them in top flight for a third season on the trot. Considering where he brought them when they were on their knees as a club when he came in, they should have backed him more.

Portsmouth once brought back Redknapp. The move worked to a degree regards cup success. For other reasons, they spent crazily though which was a different issue.

I'm still not getting why this is anymore of a problem than teams with lots of money signing similar players and neglecting the players already on their books.

Presumably it's seen as a way to circumvent the financial fair play rules as it's a lot cheaper to loan players than buy them. It would be something that lower level teams without lots of money do, which could give them an unfair advantage in their division.

Brighton and Watford are the two strongest teams and who I'll be rooting for. How much psychological damage was done to Zola's boys today , we won't know. Leicester are the dark horses. Palace haven't a hope in hell. Peterborough totally outplayed them today yet somehow contrived to lose.

Presumably it's seen as a way to circumvent the financial fair play rules as it's a lot cheaper to loan players than buy them. It would be something that lower level teams without lots of money do, which could give them an unfair advantage in their division.

It isn't circumventing financial fair play rules though, in that it's managing funds more prudently, rather than spunking funds away on the wagebill. I think the loan system is a great thing, in that it almost always gives footballers an opportunity to play where they likely wouldn't have been where they were.

It isn't circumventing financial fair play rules though, in that it's managing funds more prudently, rather than spunking funds away on the wagebill. I think the loan system is a great thing, in that it almost always gives footballers an opportunity to play where they likely wouldn't have been where they were.

Yes, but when used to that extent it deprives a lot players who would have otherwise played an opportunity. I don't see anything wrong with the loan system, it's a great way for young players to get first team football, but there has to be some sort of control on it. As regards it circumventing the FFP rules, I said presumably because that's the only reason I could think of, but someone else might know for certain or if there are other reasons.

Yes, but when used to that extent it deprives a lot players who would have otherwise played an opportunity. I don't see anything wrong with the loan system, it's a great way for young players to get first team football, but there has to be some sort of control on it. As regards it circumventing the FFP rules, I said presumably because that's the only reason I could think of, but someone else might know for certain or if there are other reasons.
    I'm honestly eager to know. I honestly don't get why it's any worse than paying a specified amount of money for a players services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The final day looked brilliant. I managed to avoid the results and watched it on the football league show there. Bloody crazy how it went! The ball from Kim for Cardiff's first was delightful, can't wait to see a few of his games next season. He was at fault for the second Hull goal though, very poor decision to try a pass from the edge of his own box.

Advertisement