Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sennheiser (or other) headphones for 150-250?

• 04-05-2013 1:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Looking to buy a good pair of over the ear headphones for music listening, and occasional movies/games/general tasks.

I listen to lots of music, metal, electronic, ambient, rock, jazz, everything! A lot of my music is in FLAC, but I wouldn't exactly call myself an "audiophile". I just really appreciate nice sound.

Can anybody recommend me some headphones around the €150-250 range. I was in heathrow a few months back and listened to a really nice pair of
    Sennheiser headphones which were 200something pounds, and they were amazing.

For the past year and a half I've been using http://www.philips.co.uk/c/noise-cancelling-headphone/noise-isolating-cushions-shn9500_00/prd/
    They're alright, a bit mediocre but its good enough quality to keep me satisfied until they broke that is.

*I'd prefer not to buy of Amazon or Ebay.
    *wired or wireless, I don't really mind as long as I don't have to fiddle around with too much software. Rather just plug and go.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Also been thinking about AKG. Are they any good?

http://www.thomann.de/ie/akg_k701.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

I wouldn't dream of touching a "fashion" model. I'm well aware dr-dre beats are the biggest rip off shíte going. I'm not into the fashion at all, these are for use in private, to enjoy the sound quality of my music.

Good to see
    Not all headphones work on the same economics as the fashion brands. Classic brands like AKG, Shure, Audio-Technica, Grado and Klipsch still market based on realistic sound and value. With no celebrity endorsers to share profits and a nearly unlimited shelf life, because the style doesn’t change with fashion, the marketing model is different.

In that article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I'm using my Sennheiser HD558's right now on my hifi. Purchased them locally last year for about €170 (which was great because like yourself I didn't want to ise Amazon or Ebay), but unfortunately they were bought in HMV.

I prefer to listen to CDs on a hifi, so it does a good job of driving them - nice, airy sound, good soundstage, natural sounding treble, mids and bass (although I did do the 'foam mod' with them and prefer them like this). I listen to a lot of metal and jazz on them, some electronica, funk, disco and lots of pop from the 50s to the 80s, and they hold up pretty well across the different genres. The phones are physically comfortable too, can wear them for many hours at a time with zero discomfort (they've big velour ear pads and open-backed).

I tend not to use them on the laptop as they sound pretty flat and lifeless regardless of EQ'ing; they need a half decent but of equipment to drive them (hence they're almost permanently plugged into the hifi - this is the case with most headphones I've tried in this price range - you should probably consider a headphone amp if you're primarily listening through a computer).

AKG, Shure, Grado and Audio Technica all compare favourably as headphone manufacturers to Sennheiser, just not as well known for some reason. Those AKG's you linked to - if I had known about Thomann when I bought these Sennheisers, I'd be ranting about my AKGs instead! :D Nice.

A good resource for researching what to buy for your needs and what's available is http://www.head-fi.org/

Happy shopping :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Hi all. Looking to buy a good pair of over the ear headphones for music listening, and occasional movies/games/general tasks.

I listen to lots of music, metal, electronic, ambient, rock, jazz, everything! A lot of my music is in FLAC, but I wouldn't exactly call myself an "audiophile". I just really appreciate nice sound.

Can anybody recommend me some headphones around the €150-250 range. I was in heathrow a few months back and listened to a really nice pair of
    Sennheiser headphones which were 200something pounds, and they were amazing.

For the past year and a half I've been using http://www.philips.co.uk/c/noise-cancelling-headphone/noise-isolating-cushions-shn9500_00/prd/
    They're alright, a bit mediocre but its good enough quality to keep me satisfied until they broke that is.

*I'd prefer not to buy of Amazon or Ebay.
    *wired or wireless, I don't really mind as long as I don't have to fiddle around with too much software. Rather just plug and go.

Check out http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk. I've used them before and they are very reputable.

Audio Technica ATH-M50s or Sennheiser HD 25-1 1. Both are closed and they don't allow sound in or out.

I have Audio Technica AD ATH-700s which are open and are excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I've been looking at headphones as well. I'm not very knowledgable on them but I know to stay clear of the overhyped beats at least.

Although expensive, the Sony MDR1-1r headphones seem to be good. Around ~£180 on amazon the last time I checked, so way more reasonable than the RRP of around £299 for them!

So I've just been informed I need an "amp" for the AKG headphones by somebody I know. Or else the sound will be "pretty weak".

Anybody know anything about this? is it necessary or what?

Hows this look? http://www.thomann.de/ie/samson_samp_headphoneamp.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

1ZRed wrote: »
    I've been looking at headphones as well. I'm not very knowledgable on them but I know to stay clear of the overhyped beats at least.

Although expensive, the Sony MDR1-1r headphones seem to be good. Around ~£180 on amazon the last time I checked, so way more reasonable than the RRP of around £299 for them!
    I've got a pair of the MDR 1r and they are very very good. I'm very happy with them. If you don't mind in ear have a look at the klipsch x10 on amazon. They are also fantastic and a great price for what you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

So I've just been informed I need an "amp" for the AKG headphones by somebody I know. Or else the sound will be "pretty weak".

As far as those Headphones go, yeah, I'd say 99% of owners have an amp. Not sure about that amp you posted, but check out Head-Fi and there's an appreciation thread for those 701s where a heap of info is at your fingertips/

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jay1912

Have a look at sennheiser momentum.
    Think they are approx 299.. But they are pretty decent going by the review
    I've not tested them but have seen them and look very impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

jay1912 wrote: »
    Have a look at sennheiser momentum.
    Think they are approx 299.. But they are pretty decent going by the review
    I've not tested them but have seen them and look very impressive.

I liked the sound from the Momentum but they did feel a bit flimsy to me. I am used to m50s though that have fallen from my desk more times than I can count without a scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

The K701s are quite demanding when it comes to amplification. They also have a rather divisive "analytical" signature, which is obviously not for everyone. Make sure you read into them thoroughly before purchasing... unfortunately that's probably the best you can do; I doubt there are any bricks and mortar shops selling them in Ireland.

Advertisement