Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs for the title

Options
  • 04-05-2013 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭

Man U won the Premier League with ease this year.

Chelsea have a fantastic squad and have loads of money to strengthen if they wish.

Man City just like Chelsea have bags of money and a decent squad.

The Gooners, I don't wish to consider.

To all the other teams I'm not bothering to mention, apologies.

What are the chances that Spurs could win the Premier league next season?

Am I just a delusional fan to think, maybe we could???????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

Don't think they have any real chance.They are currently 23 points behind United with a
    game in hand.That would be some swing.
    United,City and Chelsea will strengthen their squads making it more difficult.

Though if Levy gets the transfer business finished early in the summer it will help Spurs challenge for 2/3/4
    which is the best they can hope for imo.No messing around on deadline day.Get the new players
    integrated into the squad during pre season and hit ground running in August.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Lets just worry about securing a regular top 4 position first, and we'll go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Someones been on the crack pipe again....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Sorry but this isn't going to happen any time soon. Last season was a good shout to win the league as ever and our past manager played a big part in blowing it.

I don't expect us to get that close next season, even with CL football enticing players to the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Struggle for 4th every year to winning the league! I don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I wouldn't call it impossible to challenge if we'd have won a couple of "easy" games this year we'd be the same as city but I can't see it without either the "top 4" all having poor seasons or we get unbelievably lucky in the close games.

Id love to experience a title challenge though, even just an outside chance with three games to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

This Is a joke right?!
    You do realise there's a very real chance were gonna finish 5th unfortunately, which more than likely means bales gone. That alone will set us back a couple of years seen as he has scored so many goals for us this year.
    If we don't get cl football levy will not pay out for the superstar striker that we need, even with the bale funds that we get.
    Lets just hopefully finish 4th and forget about league titles any time in the next 2-3 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

"Always aim for the Moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars"

In other words if we try and assemble a title challenging team next season if (and when) we fall short maybe we can finish 3rd and still be an improvement on this year

ziedth wrote: »
    "Always aim for the Moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars"

In other words if we try and assemble a title challenging team next season if (and when) we fall short maybe we can finish 3rd and still be an improvement on this year

I like this one better :D

‘It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.’

Don't think I need to mention who it was who said that...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

oh lord...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Delete this thread

We sound as delusional as Liverpool fans !

Dont think spurs will ever win the title

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Emoran that is very pessimistic. I hope Spurs FC and their players don't feel as you do or we will never be contenders. I am fifty today and Spurs have never won the league in my lifetime. I know we are outsiders but I do believe with some improvement on our current squad we can compete. Shur you have to show some belief. Maybe I am slightly delusional but without belief there is way less chance of achieving anything. Come on the Spurs.

What's the point in supporting your club if you don't think they'll ever win the title!... I'd like to think someday we will win it, just don't think it'll be next season.

Happy 50th Birthday Jobeenfitz!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I can't see Spurs coming first unless AVB uncovers the next Falcao and all of a sudden our defense turns into chelsea in 05/06.
    I'm not sure which is more unlikely :pac:

I think we will be fighting for fourth again next year to be honest it would be nice to secure it a bit sooner in the season though that should be the aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

It would take an unlikely series of events but anything could happen. Man City have shown that throwing money at a team gives you a fanatastic squad but not necessarily a fantastic team. There is only so much talent to go around and then you need a manager that can keep everyone happy. Spurs could unearth the next Modric, Michu or Berbatov, bring Sandro and Kaboul back into the squad, and add a less flaky left-back without spending too much money. With a relatively injury free season, they could definitely get the extra 15 points or so that would get them up there challenging. I'm sure everyone here could probably name 15 points extra that should have been won this year (6 on Merseyside for a start).

It would then depend on retaining Bale for whom silly money will be dangled in the Summer and Utd, City, Chelsea and Arsenal cancelling each other out to a degree or losing the plot. Utd amazed me this season as I do not share Fergie's view that this is the best squad he has assembled (I think he is trying to convince himself and his players more than anything), Man City appear to be only going through the motions half the time. Chelsea have Abramovitch and John Terry so anything can happen there and it remains to be seen if Wenger has the bottle to spend a huge transfer fund wisely, if it actually materialises.

It is not beyond the bounds of possibility but I wouldn't be holding my breadth all the same. Look at the way the team is struggling through games lately that, on paper, should be no contest. Sometimes years of being also-rans does weigh on players.

Ferguson retiring means the Premier League will open up again. It's going to be interesting to see what sort of impact it will have on the club.

Just never know what's round the corner...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

There is no reason except for laziness or lack of ambition why this team cannot win the league. Of course we need imnprovements but in my honest opinion we should have won the league last year with the players we had.

had Defoe scored at the Etihad we would have been top at the end of January.

What the hell is 4th anyway? The standard of the EPL is so poor at the moment that we won't get a better chance.

We should be challenging next season at the very least, by that I mean still within a shout come April.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

golfball37 wrote: »
    There is no reason except for laziness or lack of ambition why this team cannot win the league. Of course we need imnprovements but in my honest opinion we should have won the league last year with the players we had.

had Defoe scored at the Etihad we would have been top at the end of January.

What the hell is 4th anyway? The standard of the EPL is so poor at the moment that we won't get a better chance.

We should be challenging next season at the very least, by that I mean still within a shout come April.

While I think this thread is a bit daft, your comments above make a lot of sense.

Any United Fan will tell you that this is their worst team in years, they have been poor for a few seasons now tbh.

I wholeheartedly agree with your comments about Defoe and the Eithad last season. We were a whisker away from taking the 3 points there and I truely believe we could have gone on to finish 2nd had that result turned out differently.

As for this season, I think we are punching above our weight a little bit. Who knows what next season could bring... but I'd be fairly optimistic that with a few clever additions over the sumemr we could as you say "still within a shout come April"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Good to see some of the latest posts are more optimistic so it proves I am not delusional. Or does it mean ye too are delusional? Ah who gives a fuk. Come on the Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

With United, Chelsea and City all appointing new managers for next season is this thread really all that absurd? I mean its unlikely that any manager will win the title in his first season. That and the level of consistency AVB has brought to Spurs "12 games unbeaten, 10 away wins, 3pts v Arsenal, United and City and on course for our highest Premier League points haul"

Obviously I'm biased but I believe there could be a chance for us to capitalise on the disruption at other clubs...;) COYS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

With United, Chelsea and City all appointing new managers for next season is this thread really all that absurd? I mean its unlikely that any manager will win the title in his first season. That and the level of consistency AVB has brought to Spurs "12 games unbeaten, 10 away wins, 3pts v Arsenal, United and City and on course for our highest Premier League points haul"

Obviously I'm biased but I believe there could be a chance for us to capitalise on the disruption at other clubs...;) COYS

Very possible if Levy splashes the cash on a playmaker and a striker early in the transfer window

Very possible if Levy splashes the cash on a playmaker and a striker early in the transfer window

So not possible then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Spend 60 or 70m and it's maybe possible, don't and we are playing for 4th again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

lol

delusions of grandeur here lads, get a grip and stop embarrassing yourselfs. Arsenal are miles ahead on and off the field.

Spurs will never compare unless they get 50 billion in oil money. Mid table club until then I'm afraid.

Small willy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

slegs wrote: »
    Small willy?
    More like badly phrased accuracy imo
    Spuds havent a shot at the title for years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Max Power1 wrote: »
    More like badly phrased accuracy imo
    Spuds havent a shot at the title for years

Hence the reason for the discussion - what are the chances next season. And if you read the responses you'd see that no honest Spurs fan thinks it's possible unless serious money is spent, which won't happen.

Nothing wrong with discussing ambition, is there?

Advertisement