Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for a first time bartender?

Options
  • 04-05-2013 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'll give you a little background to start with (ie. how I got myself in the situation where I'm bartending with no experience). I moved to Norway a few weeks ago for personal reasons, it's important to me that I stick here, but circumstances have changed and I need to get a job asap if I want to avoid coming home with my tail between my legs. It'll be a while before I can speak the level of Norwegian needed to operate in a Norwegian speaking workplace.

On a whim I emailed the local Irish pub (Irish owner, only one other Irish person on the staff, best pub in the city, but the city isn't too big to start with) asking what level of Norwegian I would have to speak before I could apply for a job there. They said to send in my cv and a picture and they'd see, so I did that, and they said we could organize a trial shift. I know I only got the chance because I'm an attractive, young Irish girl, but I am enormously nervous. Granted, I have the experience of being practically raised down at the pub every Friday night with the parents, and despite being 19 I have spent most of my "drinking years" down at the local pub with a few friends rather than out at clubs, but that's about all the experience I have with pubs, I have never been behind the bar myself. This is extremely important for me, if I get the job permanently it makes my life so much easier.

So, my question is, do you have any tips for me? Ways I can make sure they just have to keep me?The shift is in a week and I want to be as ready as I can be. I'm asking this because to be honest, I am nervous as hell, and I need to know what to expect so I can calm down!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭marshmallowx

I think once you have a bit of banter with the customers that's the main thing, pulling pints will come with time, worked in bars for years myself so once you have a bit if confidence and can have the Craic with the customers that's all they are looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

They probably won't start you behind the bar on your first night, you'll more than likely be collecting/cleaning glasses, and taking orders if it's the kind of bar that has table service.

I agree with the above poster, you'll make a good impression if you're relaxed and can have the chat with customers. Make sure you're smiling and have a friendly demeanour. If you are only on the floor to begin with, try to stay out of the way of bar staff if it's a busy night. There's not much space behind a bar so it's like doing a dance trying to avoid smashing into other staff when serving drinks!

Good luck OP, I think you'll be fine.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

I would not drink on the job,pretend you kissed the blarney stone they love that

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g190455-s606/Norway:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I'll give you a little background to start with (ie. how I got myself in the situation where I'm bartending with no experience). I moved to Norway a few weeks ago for personal reasons, it's important to me that I stick here, but circumstances have changed and I need to get a job asap if I want to avoid coming home with my tail between my legs. It'll be a while before I can speak the level of Norwegian needed to operate in a Norwegian speaking workplace.

On a whim I emailed the local Irish pub (Irish owner, only one other Irish person on the staff, best pub in the city, but the city isn't too big to start with) asking what level of Norwegian I would have to speak before I could apply for a job there. They said to send in my cv and a picture and they'd see, so I did that, and they said we could organize a trial shift. I know I only got the chance because I'm an attractive, young Irish girl, but I am enormously nervous. Granted, I have the experience of being practically raised down at the pub every Friday night with the parents, and despite being 19 I have spent most of my "drinking years" down at the local pub with a few friends rather than out at clubs, but that's about all the experience I have with pubs, I have never been behind the bar myself. This is extremely important for me, if I get the job permanently it makes my life so much easier.

So, my question is, do you have any tips for me? Ways I can make sure they just have to keep me?The shift is in a week and I want to be as ready as I can be. I'm asking this because to be honest, I am nervous as hell, and I need to know what to expect so I can calm down!

I'd say that they'll probably have you working on the floor beforehand. Then, when you have quiet moments, you'll pour pints and you'll learn to do different drinks.

When I started out as a barman, I found it difficult making certain cocktails. Everybody had their different methods. Find the most experienced person there and watch out for what he/she does. Everybody has their own way of doing things. You can be told to do such a thing one way. Then, another way. People always have their particular way. So, learn from the best.

Clean up when you have a spare moment. Honestly, you'll be thankful when people flood in for drinks. Also, during those moments, make sure you have drinks in the fridge, lemons, ice at hand.

Always, be friendly. Sometimes your co-workers might be a little cranky, a bit snappy and you might have to work with people you don't like. Just be friendly and don't let them get the better of you. It can be hectic. I had to work with a girl I absolutely hated. (took everything too seriously, was rude to the customers/me, etc). If you ever get a customer/staff being angry, take it on board and don't get upset. If they're drunk, just give them a vacant look if they talk horribly to you. Just don't rise to the bait. It's part of the job.

Don't drink on the job even if you're offered. It's ok if you're cleaning up, doing the accounts and the bar is closed. But, I would pay for it unless you know the manager won't mind. It's a bit of a grey area though. I normally had a small glass of coke when I was doing the accounts/cleaning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Don't worry about the quality of the said pulled pints, if its authentic irish pub there's no skill to them just tip the glass until there's zero head in the pint glass.

• Advertisement

Don't worry about the quality of the said pulled pints, if its authentic irish pub there's no skill to them just tip the glass until there's zero head in the pint glass.

On that note, watch out for how Norwegians drink their beer. I worked as a barman in Spain and Spanish people love a beer with a foamy head. Whereas, in Ireland and the UK, the customer would ask you to get rid of it and fill it to the top :rolleyes:

Honestly, OP, you'll be fine. Just be observant, learn from others, make mistakes (and learn from them). You'll get there. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭misses with rifles

carry a lighter and a bottle opener always handy
    dont be worried about knowing what to do it comes quick when you get busy
    as for language i worked in bars on the continent people who go to irish pubs generally have good english but its never any harm to pick up some of the local Dont worry you will be grand

carry a lighter and a bottle opener always handy
    dont be worried about knowing what to do it comes quick when you get busy
    as for language i worked in bars on the continent people who go to irish pubs generally have good english but its never any harm to pick up some of the local Dont worry you will be grand

I think Norwegians, in general, have a very good understanding of English. All their TV is subtitled in Norwegian. So they are used to understanding spoken English at the very least. I have Norwegian friends myself and their English is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Lot of great advice so far.

I used to be a barman and I started with no retail or bar experience.

Couple of things:

When using the till, if it doesn't tell you how much change to give, count upwards when figuring out the change. So if the price is 76 and he gives you 100, you do this:

76 + 20 = 96. (You now have a 20 coin in your hand).
    96 + 2 + 2 = 100. (You now have a 20 coin and two 2 coins).

The above system is much easier than subtracting.

The hardest part initially for me was hearing their orders and remembering what they wanted. Actually making the drinks is easy. So really concentrate when they give you an order and repeat it in your head as you are making their drinks.

And of course, clean as you go.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Best advice - Always smile and look happy even if your in a bad mood. There is literally nothing worse than seeing a bartender with a puss on their face. I've worked in a very busy pub for 3 years and found this very important with the customers and the boss man. You'll also pick up a few tips.

Also, try and look busy if its quiet. There's always something to do - Stock bar, collect glasses, empty trays, fill ice, cut lemon and limes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Fletch87

Always clean as you go. A clean station will make your life a lot easier when you get busy. And once you get in the habit of putting things back once you use them the flow of your service will be a lot better.

When you come on shift have a checklist to run through to make sure all you need is in place for the rest of the night. e.g. half bottle of JD left, get one in so you have it on hand when you run out (stock will always run out at the worst possible time!)

Same goes for lemons, glassware, change in the float etc

Appearance and hygiene is fairly important. When I started, there was a young lad who didn't work too well in the heat and I was asked by the seniors to have a word with him. ( I decided to get a whip around from the lads to buy everyone stuff for our lockers and when I passed him his set I told him how a drunk customer gave out to me about my BO the night before so I got us all a set!)

Never give anyone a reason to mistrust you around cash.

Don't get involved in any sort of argument with customers or drunks. Find the quickest possible way to diffuse the situation. Can either be a drink, a bit of charm, the vacant look mentioned above or taking them away from an audience. It'll get tiring and ruin your night if you let it.

Keep your head up. Pet peeve of mine is a barman not looking to see is everyone looked after.

There are loads of little things but to be honest as long as you have a good attitude you'll have no problems. You can teach anyone with a personality how to work a bar, you can't teach a bar man how to have a personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

Friendly, helpful, use initative like cleaning tables, ensuring stock is behind bar before busy periods etc, alot of good advice given already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 incupsofcoffee

You have all given me such great advice, I feel a lot calmer having read this! I'm goung to take it all on board, learn the recipes for the drinks on the menu, get to know the currency a little better and hope that the tips you've all goven me and a good attitude will get me through the first few days! Thanks a million for taking the time to help me out, I'll let you know how I get on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

When going on duty and it is possible to do so, keep as little or no cash on your person as possible. Always have a safe locked place for your personal items such as coats or handbags as these can go missing or be damaged by jealous customers or staff if left in a accesable public place.

I used to do music sessions in pubs and had hassle with my jackets coats etc being scorched by careless smokers or stolen. Also having no cash money on your person makes it extremely easy to prove you are not a thief if money goes missing at the end of the night when the takings are added up.

Depending on the morals and competence of the management, a new staff member is always easy game to get the blame for cash "slippages" if the regular staff are ruthless enough to try it on.

Advertisement