Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paracord stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

heres one I done for a buudy of mine the charm on the bottom is his and he was looking to get it mounted it start with the charm then 1" loop then into a lanyard knot, I put an extra 2 strands into it at this stage and started a 4 strand round braid then 4 strands at then end are woven back through the lanyard knot and left loose. I havn't put a break away buckle on this as I think it will take away from the piece but it someone tugs on it hard enough it will unreavel. I might boil the knot I'm not to sure yet.

These are going to Chad for some of our countries finest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

the GALL wrote: »
    I made these for a mate of mine who was doing a charity walk, to buy guide dogs for kids with autism. He was looking for something different, and I think I got it right. Basicaly all the black(60+ft) can be removed and still keep the integrity of the 3 pieces. I put a caraniner on one end so the lead can be clipped to his belt keeping his hands free while still using his poles. The colour choice was his own as Cara is a black and white sheprador. Anyway I like them the're a good solid piece and they will stand him well for years to come

That is one amazing looking collor and leash I defiantly buy that in a heart beat. Did it take long to make?

jonon9 wrote: »
    That is one amazing looking collor and leash I defiantly buy that in a heart beat. Did it take long to make?
    thanks

jonon9 wrote: »

It took me a couple of hours of tying. The hard part was getting the design right and finding the hardware that would hold up and still be light enough that the dog wouldn't notice and the carrier wouldn't get tired holding.
    Once you have a jig it makes the job a hole lot easier. You should also research what cord you are useing there are a lot of different types out there of varying quality and even more stores trying to sell 550 Paracord that's chineese knock offs. I rang 4 stores in around the Capel st area of dublin looking for cord, one guy was trying to tell me his chineese 550 Paracord was as good as the American paracord, I near choked laughing. Another wanted €14 for 100' of chineese stuff, the another two didn't stock it. One guy I rang just off the M50 wanted €23 for 100' of german made stuff.
    At the end of the day you probably won't be Parachuteing with it so the most it'll be used for is lashings, ridge lines, and makeing crafts for friends and family but still if you ask for a product you expect to get the product you ask for at a reasonable price and not be duped into buying inferior product at inflated prices. That's just my two cents on it.
    If you need to know anything else just ask, I'm not an expert on it but through experience I would say I know more than most.

• Advertisement

This one took me a while but was definitely worth it there's 94' of cord in this, now alls I need is a dog.

I was thinking about making one of these for a while but couldn't decide on what to put in it. So I decided to ask some preppers on what their views were on it.
    They wanted a means to
    1 Trap animals
    2 Light fire
    3 Navigate
    4 Fish
    5 Build shelter
    I'm not too sure about it myself what would you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

A snare

Some flint.

A fishing hook. Maybe some fishing line if it were possible.

Obviously a button compass.

Then your paracord to help your shelter.

And I think a wire saw would be very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Sorry I miss read your post there.

Following on from the last post, they now want a LED bulb and battery included sure we'll see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Following on from the last post, they now want a LED bulb and battery included sure we'll see what happens.

hey the paracord stuff u make is awesome, dere must b a million uses for dat stuff!!! Do you sell any of it, id b interested in a few bits:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

You could look at adding a small key fob ED like one of the photon micro lights
    http://www.batteryjunction.com/phxpesaflmix.html

You could look at adding a small key fob ED like one of the photon micro lights
    http://www.batteryjunction.com/phxpesaflmix.html

That might work I'll have a look at that during the week:D

Check this out. This is my new dog lead for the mother in-law's dog made with 92ish feet of cord it has 10 separate knots in it. It's tough top do and needs a lot of concentration but once your in the Zone it flies along and is really worth the finished product.

Some buddies of mine have been using 550 Paracord as the suspension lines with their hammocks, I'm a ground dweller myself. Anyone any views on this? I'm waiting on one of the lines to fail and the inevitable fallout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Some buddies of mine have been using 550 Paracord as the suspension lines with their hammocks, I'm a ground dweller myself. Anyone any views on this? I'm waiting on one of the lines to fail and the inevitable fallout.

How many lines? Its not that difficult to work out the actual weight on each individual line once you know the angles the paracord makes with the hammock. This site explains it very well http://www.ropebook.com/information/vector-forces .

Proper milspec paracord should support 550 lbs. The problem is that a large amount of what's on sale is not true paracord.

@The Glass key
    Just the one line from tree to hammock to tree. I had my doubts about it at first but he spent 3 nights swinging in the trees with it. We checked the lines when we broke camp and no visable damage at all to it
    @Gran Hermano
    That's true and an even larger amount of people would not know the difference by touch or feel. I had a guy last week ask me where'd I get the 'baler twine'? as I wrote earlier in the thread about shops selling '550 Paracord' one guy was telling me the chinese stuff is the very same when clearly its not. I kinda walked away from that place saying not only would I not buy paracord from him but I'd have my doubts about buying anything from him.

Anyway, anybody tie anything nice lately? I got a copy of the ABOK and am working my way(slowly) through it. I might start taking photo's of some of the pieces I've done an put up photo's with the knot numbers.

With nothing to do last week I put a few of these together

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there,
    gall, could you put up a link to the making of these. I'd be very interested in having one, as I have the same size torch.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

At a guess you need to be looking for ABOK Ashley Book Of Knots which I'm downloading atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi there,
    gall, could you put up a link to the making of these. I'd be very interested in having one, as I have the same size torch.
    regards
    Stovepipe
    Paracord coil on YouTube you use strimmer cord and Outter sleeve of paracord their easy enough to make

Exactly what the mods said

It's nothing got to do with the ABOK, but if you want a FREE copy of it on PDF Pm me

Gran Hermano, That's a nice way of doing it but it's not the way I have done it, and it's not the way the Paracord community in the States would recommend.

Everyone has different ways of making paracord items once whatever way you decide to do it works for you that's all that matters

That's true shadow fox but for people to say it's this or it's that when it's clearly not undermines the effort that some people put into things.

That's true shadow fox but for people to say it's this or it's that when it's clearly not undermines the effort that some people put into things.

Not really this thread is to share ideas on what to do with paracord not to judge that person A put more effort into making something than person B so person A's is better. It's whatever way the person feels comfortable doing it and works for them. Most people here are making things for personal use after all

• Advertisement

No offence intended the GALL, was merely sharing how I'd seen them made.
    Was also unaware there was a US versus Europe thing going on.
    This chap doesn't sound European to me and is using the method i am familiar with.

As said above it is always useful to know the many ways one may skin a cat.

Advertisement