Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this building?

Options
  • 04-05-2013 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Just randomly came across this on imgur.

I'm guessing it's in the city somewhere because it reminds me of the holy ghost..

3GOWeuX.jpg

Apparently it's an abandoned college / seminary ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iamaiamai

Wow - that was fast!

So I'm taking it that that's the building behind the good shepherd?

It doesn't really look like that now - I never even noticed it was boarded up.

I guess the Good Shepherd will be following it soon enough.. Unless there are plans for when W.I.T. vacates it in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Is that not the diocesan seminary off johns hill? You can some what see it from the Folly and Ballytruckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

iamaiamai wrote: »
    Wow - that was fast!

So I'm taking it that that's the building behind the good shepherd?

It doesn't really look like that now - I never even noticed it was boarded up.

I guess the Good Shepherd will be following it soon enough.. Unless there are plans for when W.I.T. vacates it in the next couple of years.

how do u know that wit is leaving the good sheperd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Jambo wrote: »
    Is that not the diocesan seminary off johns hill? You can some what see it from the Folly and Ballytruckle.

Yeah i was thinking that too, the place by the good shepherd is different, often dropped my aunt to work there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Jambo wrote: »

Your bang on, this is St Johns College. It was a seminary for the priesthood until vocations fell away and it was closed. Some waste of a beautiful building. If the economy ever picks up this would make a fabolous hotel with a great view of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Your bang on, this is St Johns College. It was a seminary for the priesthood until vocations fell away and it was closed. Some waste of a beautiful building. If the economy ever picks up this would make a fabolous hotel with a great view of the city.

Looks like the building off to the side of the peoples park where the school is.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Its St Johns college, its just at the top of the folly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Looks like the building off to the side of the peoples park where the school is.

It's not, it's St John's College.
    St. John's closed as a seminary in 1999 due to the decline in vocations, with the 13 students transferred to other seminaries. A number of church and community groups used its lands and buildings, instead such as Diocesan offices, Accord and Cura. The local Scouts have a purpose built facility on the grounds of the college.
    In 2007 the college building and some of the land was sold to the Respond Housing association, with a new pastoral centre being built for the diocese and opened in 2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John's_College,_Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Finnbar01 wrote: »

I know i was just saying it looks like the building near the peoples park could be the same architect.

• Advertisement

how do u know that wit is leaving the good sheperd

Heard off porters in WIT last year and heard it spoken about by staff. Plan is to move everyone up to the industrial estate, as far as I've heard.

They could have changed plans in the interim but apparently the good shepherd is too expensive to use as a campus and they are spreading themselves too thinly as it is.

Also: Thanks for the help everyone! Was thinking it couldn't be the one on Manor Hill as the book indicated!

What a beautiful building, such a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thedancingcow

Eddie Rocketts

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Heard off porters in WIT last year and heard it spoken about by staff. Plan is to move everyone up to the industrial estate, as far as I've heard.

They could have changed plans in the interim but apparently the good shepherd is too expensive to use as a campus and they are spreading themselves too thinly as it is.

Also: Thanks for the help everyone! Was thinking it couldn't be the one on Manor Hill as the book indicated!

They have been saying that for years now!

Sully wrote: »
    They have been saying that for years now!

well they've already moved applied arts up so we'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I don't think the building is just lying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

It's a beautiful building on beautiful grounds. Would make a fantastic hotel someday but would need a lot of investment.

Anyone that played for Villa back in the day would have trained on the on-site pitch a few times.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I don't think the building is just lying there.

Well it looks pretty desolate all boarded up like that. Doesn't look like it's being put to any good use.

Advertisement