Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bunch training rides in Dublin

Options
  • 04-05-2013 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm moving from Melbourne to Dublin in the next week and looking for training groups to ride with, weekday early mornings as well as weekends. My searches on the Web show me that there are a good few clubs in Dublin, but seem to have only "spins" at the weekend.

We have a few informal training rides in Melbourne where anyone can turn up - is there anything similar in Dublin? And is Phoenix Park a good place to go for an early morning ride? I'll be at a central hotel initially.

Any advice on good bike shop rides, clubs, etc, would be valued. I'm interested in looking at the vets racing scene as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

mikeyV wrote: »
    I'm moving from Melbourne to Dublin in the next week and looking for training groups to ride with, weekday early mornings as well as weekends. My searches on the Web show me that there are a good few clubs in Dublin, but seem to have only "spins" at the weekend.

We have a few informal training rides in Melbourne where anyone can turn up - is there anything similar in Dublin? And is Phoenix Park a good place to go for an early morning ride? I'll be at a central hotel initially.

Any advice on good bike shop rides, clubs, etc, would be valued. I'm interested in looking at the vets racing scene as well.

Some of our politicians have been going to the Phoenix Park for an early morning ride for years

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

mikeyV wrote: »

I don't ride with a club personally but the Phoenix Park is pretty good for a pre-work spin. Centrally located, roughly 12 km perimeter, so a few laps of that is a decent enough spin. A lot of ramps though and some of the roads are in a poor state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

MickeyV

I hope you enjoy your time in Dublin.
    Unfortunately there is no real tradition in Dublin of big bunch group rides that welcome all comers.
    Over here people cycle with their clubs or their mates.

Alternatively you could post up on this site the type of cycle you want:
    Eg, time, duration, intensity, speed and see does anyone fancy accompanying you. This has worked very well I the past.

Alternatively join a club.

In terms of the Pheonix Park.
    Yes it is used by lots of cyclists in the early morn and in the evening.
    Gets busy in evening with commuters and cars so morning probably best.

Effectively it's a 9km loop or a 12km figure of eight.

Hope that this helps.

Advertisement