Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Would You Do ?

Options
  • 04-05-2013 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My situation is as follows:

Last October i recieved a permanent job offer after 3 interviews and 8 weeks later i accepted,

The job offer i recieved was worth €20,000 a year more than i was on between rise in salary,pension,healthcare ans bonus. So i took the job and handed in 6 weeks notice to my current employer,left on good terms.

I started my new job in the new year and on the first day of the job my boss informed me that her brother would be helping in my job for a while as he was a general operative on site and was doing the job i was offered for the last 6 months while a replacement was found ,which would then be me.

Later that day while i as having a chat with my new boss, i asked her why her brother didnt go for the job as he was already doing it and she informed me he did but he didnt have the experience i had and that he also couldnt work directly under herself as it was against company policy and her voice changed straight away,:eek:

Anyhow 7 weeks later i was asked to go to a meeting with my manager (commercial) and the plant manager, in the meeting i was told that they were having concerns about my work performance to which i was totally shell shocked and taken back by as the feedback i was getting was all very good.they asked to improve in these few areas and emailed me the minutes off the meeting and the areas which needed improving and they would review me again in a months time.

Anyway in the next month i did everything possible to save my job and exactly a month to the day of the last meeting i was asked to attend a meeting again. When i arrived in the meeting i was informed my contract was been terminated immediately and i was asked to leave site straight away.
    Also as i was only employed with this company for 11 weeks i was only entitled to a weeks pay but as a gesture to me and my family they would pay me a months pay,

This i were it gets worst, i recieved a phone call yesterday to tell me that my managers brother has got my job on a full time basis,

Im just feel so used and am so low at the moment,:confused:

Looking for advice on what one would do if they were in my situation and if this happened to them what would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

If they outlined the requirements of the job and you failed to meet them then I would suspect there is nothing to do but move on.

You are suggesting that they used you as a fall guy to get the managers brother the job ,would be next to impossible to prove without being able to monitor his performance.

Sounds to me like the company has covered their bases here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Anyway in the next month i did everything possible to save my job

In your first meeting did the employer outline the required performance?

If so were their requests reasonable?

Did you meet the required performance goals?

This information would help clarify your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You were there less than a year, you have very few rights. Nothing to do except move on and look for a new job.

Make sure you get the paperwork off them, so you can apply for welfare.

Good luck with job hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If it were me, and I had met the required performance goals of the 1st meeting, I'd write a letter to their manager querying why I was let go, and also question why the person that I replaced now replaced me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

We can only go with the word of the OP, and it does seem suspicious.

Even though he is there less than a year don't the company still need to follow proper procedures as part of the termination process?

For example, was the OP offered the opportunity to bring representation into the disciplinary meetings?

Was there enough training opportunities etc to allow him to rectify his performance.

It sounds fishy to me.

If the company didn't follow proper procedures, does he have a case with NERA?

With that said, my understanding (what I've been told by people involved in the NERA process) of the NERA process is that unless an employee is in a position for over 2 years their claim is not entertained. I've emboldened the 2 years as I know it's only 1 year for full rights and I'm referencing practice. It's, however, unfortunate in the case of the OP's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Get over it and find a new job, personally!!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

TBF OP as much as its a bummer - this is how things are now. It's all about the employer these days, similar things happen in my job all the time and nothing can be done about it. I personally feel that employees haven't got a leg to stand on in the times we're in :( employers know this so hence why they take advantage.

Other posters may think I'm wrong but from what I've seen over the past 5 years, that's how it is unfortunately :(

Very sorry to hear of your situation, but the only thing you can do is pick yourself up and try find something else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

smcgiff wrote: »
    We can only go with the word of the OP, and it does seem suspicious.

Even though he is there less than a year don't the company still need to follow proper procedures as part of the termination process?

For example, was the OP offered the opportunity to bring representation into the disciplinary meetings?

Was there enough training opportunities etc to allow him to rectify his performance.

It sounds fishy to me.

If the company didn't follow proper procedures, does he have a case with NERA?

With that said, my understanding (what I've been told by people involved in the NERA process) of the NERA process is that unless an employee is in a position for over 2 years their claim is not entertained. I've emboldened the 2 years as I know it's only 1 year for full rights and I'm referencing practice. It's, however, unfortunate in the case of the OP's.

Technically you've full rights from day one. The issue arises that you don't have access to EAT process for 12 months. I *THINK* you could go the courts route, bypassing EAT, but I suspect it would so expensive and take so long as to be a pointless exercise.

No advice intended in the above a pure musing.

PS I would second the idea of writing a letter to the parent company however.

Advertisement