Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bank holiday unfairness

• 04-05-2013 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

i have no work , thus I miss out on Bank Holidays. I think I should get an extra day with no work as compensation. How would this work? (or not work?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

corktina wrote: »
    i have no work , thus I miss out on Bank Holidays. I think I should get an extra day with no work as compensation. How would this work? (or not work?)

A corktina day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Take Monday off, on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

biko wrote: »
    Take Monday off, on me.

So he gets to spend the whole of Monday, on you?!
    Very generous of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Every day is a bank holiday for the jobless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

thanks, but i think i should get an extra day off....after all if you work a bank holiday you get a day off in lieu, so I think I should get an extra day off not working.

This is possibly a religious matter as there aren't any new days being made. Off I go to the Religion Forum I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Not 100% sure on this, but if you work a 35+ hour work week, you are entitled to the benefits of a bank holiday monday, be it extra pay or lieu day, regardless of whether you work the actual monday or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Yes , both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Play with that new phone you have:). Or maybe try changing networks:D That will keep you occupied;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not 100% sure on this, but if you work a 35+ hour work week, you are entitled to the benefits of a bank holiday monday, be it extra pay or lieu day, regardless of whether you work the actual monday or not.

You might not be far off. I work a 35+ week. If I work the bank holiday, its double pay, no day in lieu. If I dont work it, I still get an extra bit in your pay slip as its a bank holiday week, and no day in lieu entitlement.

ah there's the problem, thanks. As I don't do a 35 hour week, I'm not entitled to an extra day off..

however, i do a lot more than 35 hours a week NOT working, will that help my case do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Workers get a day off work for free... non workers should then do a day of work for free.

I have a wall that needs to be painted... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

irish-stew wrote: »
    You might not be far off. I work a 35+ week. If you work the bank holiday, its double pay, no day in lieu. If you dont work it, you still get an extra bit in your pay slip as its a bank holiday week, and no day in lieu entitlement.

IIRC its 40 hours in the previous 5 weeks.

irish-stew wrote: »
    You might not be far off. I work a 35+ week. If you work the bank holiday, its double pay, no day in lieu. If you dont work it, you still get an extra bit in your pay slip as its a bank holiday week, and no day in lieu entitlement.

Off topic...will you stop being silly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Well, if you're looking for a job and you get one just tell your new employer you're taking the first few weeks off as you missed out on bank holidays and feel aggrieved by this. I'm sure they'd be delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ah there's the problem, thanks. As I don't do a 35 hour week, I'm not entitled to an extra day off..

however, i do a lot more than 35 hours a week NOT working, will that help my case do you think?

What's your profession?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Off topic...will you stop being silly!

Least I'm not missing out on my bank holiday.

:p

What's your profession?

Wall Painter...apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ah, you're a PS worker...

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Ah, you're a PS worker...

more a BS one I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

you know what would help you ?
    Looking for a job instead of complaining here,either that or do some free courses as there plenty of them.Being unemployed is bad ,but there are sectors where working and having bank holiday fks over all the next week,as deliveries fall behind,workload increases before the Bh weekend and so on.Id say there are plenty who could complain about having to work on BH,but it depends who works where :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wait until Tuesday to draw the dole. :pac:

At present each day you work means you loose 1/6th of your payment. So on a bank holiday weekend shouldn't you loose 1/5th ?

Eh, no maybe that's not it :o

Something, something, profit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm pissed off that I'll have to get a taxi into work.

I had to this morning because the trains were cancelled (Someone nicked the signal cable at the ashtown junction)

I alwaysa have to on sunday because Irish rail seem to think that they should have a lie on on sundays.

And bank holiday mondays are just as bad.

So that's €75 I'll have to spend on taxi's this weekend because Irish rail are cnuts

scamalert wrote: »
    Looking for a job instead of complaining here,either that or do some free courses as there plenty of them.Being unemployed is bad ,but there are sectors where working and having bank holiday fks over all the next week,as deliveries fall behind,workload increases before the Bh weekend and so on.Id say there are plenty who could complain about having to work on BH,but it depends who works where :cool:

lol:cool::rolleyes:

Grayson wrote: »

I had to this morning because the trains were cancelled (Someone nicked the signal cable at the ashtown junction)

I alwaysa have to on sunday because Irish rail seem to think that they should have a lie on on sundays.

So that's €75 I'll have to spend on taxi's this weekend because Irish rail are cnuts

good point, I'm €75 up just for not being able to work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

good point, I'm €75 up just for not being able to work!

I hope you develop bed sores from excessive lie-in's.

You're not my Mum! i'm up aren't i?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

scamalert wrote: »
    yep,support staff in residential care for one,they dont even get any breaks let alone bank holidays as there is no way of having other staff come in just to cover the breaks.

support staff in Residential Care? what do they do? chant 2468 who do we appreciate? Little old ladies!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭becost

That's true. When you work, you know months in advance when the next BH is coming up. I only realized that next Monday was one yesterday evening when I saw a sign in a local shop saying "open bank holiday Monday".
    Every day is the weekend as well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

What will you be planning for a public holiday ? Draw the dole standing in the street ?

nope, thought I'd stay on here and poke fun at gullible people

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

15Kg of Copper is worth €75 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

We could call it "Mondeo".

yep, i got one of them, what an honour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

No it isn't. I used to go away on bank holiday weekends, or spend them in the local. I can't do either of those now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 joehig

next time your going for an interview, just tell your potential employer you want your first day off as compo, im sure hed understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Not really, the library is usually open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

And this is why northsiders don't get nice things like Luas extensions, or Metros to the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

And this is why northsiders don't get nice things like Luas extensions, or Metros to the airport.
    Yeah, sure someone nicked 30m of the M1 last week and the Belfast-Dublin line is always getting chopped up for scrap where it passes through the NS. The North side of the Hapenny bridge has been robbed twice and rebuilt. Sure you could give them nothing.. They made O'Connell st so wide on purpose to stop lads lifting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Should be a system were you claim back your bank holidays when you get a job, seems only fair!

• Advertisement
Advertisement