Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky force PL clubs to remove seats due to 3D cameras

• 04-05-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭

title says it all really, all PL clubs will have to remove seats to accomadate 3D cameras for next season and i, along with 2 other posters and the lads ive stood beside for what would be the 6th season, now are being treated like s*it.

we got a text yesterday morning saying "your seat is no longer available, please call us", offering us seats 33% more expensive, located at the top of the opposite stands as no seats are available in our entire stand that will allow the 3 (even 2) of us to sit together. one of the lads sites with his brother and only one of them is being moved.

this isnt about Money however, this is about where we sit, the group we have, the pride we take in the fact that these are out seats and of course, that the club did not consult us or even tell us what is happening.

as it stands, we have no seats for next season, have to wait until 21st of June for others to cancel and they maybe, i stress maybe able to offer us new ones. i cant imagine other clubs treating their fans like this.

was covered here yesterday in the MEN..
    United are to evict season ticket holders from their seats to make way for Sky TV’s new 3D cameras next season.

Fans have slammed the move, that comes after the Premier League signed a bumper £3bn deal with the broadcaster and BT to show domestic matches for the next three years.

At Old Trafford around 60 season ticket holders in the Stretford End and East Stand lower tiers – where prices average £28 a game – have been told they will have to shift to another part of the stadium.

Their new seats will be in more expensive sections and the club say they will not be charged the difference as a gesture of goodwill – for one season.

City are still considering how to accommodate the cameras.

The M.E.N. understands that all 20 Premier League clubs have been told to make more space for the 3D devices.

One Red being uprooted is 28-year-old Lauren Appleton, who has been offered alternative seats that cost as much as £266 per season more than she currently pays, but she hit out at the way she was informed of the move.

“It was a casual line on my renewal letter telling me I would need to relocate,” she said. “Clearly it shows this is no big deal to them and they still expect us to renew whatever the cost.

“I can't believe I am being made to move, to potentially a higher priced seat, away from my friends for the sake of people who want to watch the match from home in 3D.

“If they want the 3D experience they should get to the ground week in, week out like we do.”

National fans' group the Football Supporters Federation (FSF), echoed Lauren's comments.

A spokesman for United said the club had no option but to implement the changes and added that those who had moved would be offered first refusal to move back should anyone in that area fail to renew their ticket.

A City spokesman said their supporters could face similar disruption.

He said: “Although we expect the impact to be minimal if or when fans may need to move, the club would work with any supporters impacted on.

United and Sky caring about fans? ya f*cking right.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Who the fúck wants to watch a game in 3D?? Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Television is the heart of Premier League football. Fans and supporters are just viewed as a paying audience that can add an atmosphere. If they needed to, they'd dub over a chanting track much like ****ty sit-coms dub over laughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

That_Guy wrote: »
    Who the fúck wants to watch a game in 3D?? Pathetic.

I do its ****ing awesome.

Couldnt watch one on tv tho.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

this isnt about Money however, this is about where we sit, the group we have, the pride we take in the fact that these are out seats and of course, that the club did not consult us or even tell us what is happening.

I'm sorry you lost your seat.

But this is about money. Sky are obviously going to pay a hell of a lot more for that seat, and as was pointed out in the United topic, it's deals like this that let the club grow as a whole. The money teams make for giving your seat to Sky will far outweigh the money they lose from yourself.

I know that seems harsh, and I know I'd be incredibly angry about it too. And truth be told, I think that if they were going to do that to you, they should have had an alternative lined up immediately. How the club has handled the situation has been bed. But being honest, those 60 fans being put out will improve the club for all fans, and the sad fact is they know that if you choose to not get a seat next year, someone else will come in instead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It's a ****ing joke.
    Bad enough that you are ousted without any consultation but the fact that its for 3D tv rights is laughable.

No doubt the seat will be available again in the future as 3D is a fad that will never catch on IMO, which probably makes its all the galling for you.

Really poor from Utd the way they handled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Surely there is 3 spare seats in SE?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

It is pretty poor form from United. I hope the poor publicity means that you get something sorted for you.

That is football now though, its all about money. I love watching football but it is hard to take a lot seriously anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Who the hell are all these twats that want to watch football on 3d tv? I've literally never encountered anyone that likes 3d tv or movies.

Watching a game in 3D?

Fúck that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Fúck 3D

Fúck Sky

My gripe would be with the club rather than Sky in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That's modern football for ya. It's about a product now as opposed to a community based sports team. Customers rather than fans. Sickening in actual fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Football spectators are the most oppressed people on the planet.

Surely there is 3 spare seats in SE?

yes there are - family sections, but because we need to have at least one 16 year old with us we cant go there!

the upper part of tier one = corporate, so they wont presell them.

theres seats available in last row of upper tier 2...would take them as a last resort, but they are miles from the pitch and are available for a reason!

they could at least offer to move single tickets to these areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Pretty sh1tty form but you'd imagine that they have a contractual obligation to carry it out. Surely they should offer some goodwill.

Although it is the Glazers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm sure they know you and your friends are Irish, yet still buy a ST and travel over for games. The least they could have done is offered you a ST in the place 33% more expensive but keep the price the same for next season. Removing season ticket holders from their seats to suit TV is pathetic.

They really don't give a sh*t about fans in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

title says it all really, all PL clubs will have to remove seats to accomadate 3D cameras for next season and i, along with 2 other posters and the lads ive stood beside for what would be the 6th season, now are being treated like s*it.

we got a text yesterday morning saying "your seat is no longer available, please call us", offering us seats 33% more expensive, located at the top of the opposite stands as no seats are available in our entire stand that will allow the 3 (even 2) of us to sit together. one of the lads sites with his brother and only one of them is being moved.

as it stands, we have no seats for next season, have to wait until 21st of June for others to cancel and they maybe, i stress maybe able to offer us new ones. i cant imagine other clubs treating their fans like this.

was covered here yesterday in the MEN..

United and Sky caring about fans? ya f*cking right.

You support Man United. What do you expect? If you want football that is still in touch with its fans, it is readily available, and not just in this country.

Oat23 wrote: »
    I'm sure they know you and your friends are Irish, yet still buy a ST and travel over for games. The least they could have done is offered you a ST in the place 33% more expensive but keep the price the same for next season. Removing season ticket holders from their seats to suit TV is pathetic.

They really don't give a sh*t about fans in England.

If they were looking after the Irish instead of the local lads, that would be even worse.

CSF wrote: »
    If they were looking after the Irish instead of the local lads, that would be even worse.

the lads effected with me are Local lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Each one of those seats is worth at least £233k a year to Utd for the next three years if that's the case.

They obviously could have handled it far better, bit shocking really.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Oat23 wrote: »
    IThe least they could have done is offered you a ST in the place 33% more expensive but keep the price the same for next season.

That's what they are doing (from the quote in the OP)
    Their new seats will be in more expensive sections and the club say they will not be charged the difference as a gesture of goodwill – for one season.

It's a pretty shabby thing to do, but unfortunately at this stage everyone knows that whoever has the money calls the shots, and inevitably that's going to be Sky. And if there are no other seats available, how are clubs supposed to magic extra season tickets out of thin air to accommodate the fans that are being moved? Probably not a problem in most cases, but obviously an issue somewhere like Old Trafford that's sold out every match. If the clubs really cared about their fans rather than the money they'd have told Sky to p*ss off.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Fuck 1D!

Fuck 3D too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Zaph wrote: »
    That's what they are doing (from the quote in the OP)

I never even noticed there was a quoted article under his post :o

the lads effected with me are Local lads.

I was just specifically referring to what he said about the Irish thing. Not you as an individual.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Fuck 1D!

Fuck 3D too!

Not to mention DD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Fuck 1D!

Fuck 3D too!

You know you don't mean that!!!

I was just specifically referring to what he said about the Irish thing. Not you as an individual.

why would looking after Irish lads before local lads, be worse?

they are treating everybody the same - like ****. just because my postcode isnt a manchester one, does that mean that a fan who does is a better one?

if anything, somebody who gets up at 4am every saturday/sunday deserves a bit of credit for the effort they put in to support their team.

mindless logic.

why would looking after Irish lads before local lads, be worse?

they are treating everybody the same - like ****. just because my postcode isnt a manchester one, that that mean that a fan who does is a better one?

if anything, somebody who gets up at 4am every saturday/sunday deserves a bit of credit for the effort they put in to support their team.

mindless logic.
    Because Manchester United should be first and foremost for the people of Manchester, the area and the people that the club represents.

• Advertisement

Because Manchester United should be first and foremost for the people of Manchester, the area and the people that the club represents.

there is not enough "local" people in Manchester to keep both clubs to fill 123,000 seats.

there is not enough "local" people in Manchester to keep both clubs to fill 123,000 seats.

Which is grand. I'm not saying it should be locals only allowed. I've been to Old Trafford. Just saying that the club should make decisions that serve the best interests of the locality it serves. Not Irish or Japanese people because they've paid more and travelled longer to get there. That was my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

They are a corporation.....they no more represent Manchester than Marks and Spenser or British Petroleum.

I have some sympathy for the OP but while he is obviously pi55ed off he can't really be surprised that Utd chose to keep their paymasters at sky happy rather than a small number of supporters.

I doubt any club has benefited from satellite tv more than Utd over the last 20 odd years so they are not going to piss off sky to keep you happy op

They are a corporation.....they no more represent Manchester than Marks and Spenser or British Petroleum.

Bull****. Manchester United was a football club representing its locality long before it became listed on the stock exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Sarcasm detector on the blink but I assume you're joking?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Bull****. Manchester United was a football club representing its locality long before it became listed on the stock exchange.

Yes and people are talking about the here and now not 20 years ago. United ( and every other club) will do what makes them money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I have some sympathy for the OP but while he is obviously pi55ed off he can't really be surprised that Utd chose to keep their paymasters at sky happy rather than a small number of supporters.

I doubt any club has benefited from satellite tv more than Utd over the last 20 odd years so they are not going to piss off sky to keep you happy op

What a load of rubbish.

Yes and people are talking about the here and now not 20 years ago. United ( and every other club) will do what makes them money

You obviously don't know a huge amount about how football works outside the Premiership.

Pissing all over your fans is not a global phenomenon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You obviously don't know a huge amount about how football works outside the Premiership.

Pissing all over your fans is not a global phenomenon.

You weren't talking ahnoit clubs outside of the premiership, you referenced united by name.

You weren't talking ahnoit clubs outside of the premiership, you referenced united by name.

I also pointed out how I expected no better from United because of what they are, and pointed out how the OP should have expected as much. Did you ignore that part!

No you said it represented Manchester before it became listed. It's essentially a private company now ( apart from the makey upy shares) but Glazers, Mansour, chelski and everyone else in England want to make money and if they have to annoy fans they will do it.

I think we're saying the same thing btw! It's not surprising at all, if united were truly remorseful, homer would be paying the same for his current ticket in 10 years and not just get one year without the increase

• Advertisement

No you said it represented Manchester before it became listed. It's essentially a private company now ( apart from the makey upy shares) but Glazers, Mansour, chelski and everyone else in England want to make money and if they have to annoy fans they will do it.

I think we're saying the same thing btw! It's not surprising at all, if united were truly remorseful, homer would be paying the same for his current ticket in 10 years and not just get one year without the increase

We are agreeing about what United are, just seem to be disagreeing about what they should be.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

if united were truly remorseful, homer would be paying the same for his current ticket in 10 years and not just get one year without the increase

I think at the very least a season ticket holder who is moved to a more expensive seat should be entitled to pay the same price as the area he left for the same length of time that he held the season ticket, 6 years in Homer's case. That would at least be somewhat equitable, although it still would leave him separated from his mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I cant think of single club in Ireland or Britain that represent their location truly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I do love to see fanboys of EPL PLC's get f**ked over by their 'clubs'.

It makes me all the more grateful that I follow an actual club who value my attendance and the money I contribute.

I cant think of single club in Ireland or Britain that represent their location truly.

Everyone will have different ideas on what representing the location means. Probably why so many locations have lots of different clubs.

Zaph I'd fully agree with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Yeah. An even worse existence than living in Sudan or the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I do love to see fanboys of EPL PLC's get f**ked over by their 'clubs'.

It makes me all the more grateful that I follow an actual club who value my attendance and the money I contribute.

You support Celtic I assume?
    Have they not being doing their best to fúck over the Green Brigade, the fans who make a real attempt to liven up games at Celtic Park, the last few seasons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Jesus I love the way even this thread has degenerated into an argument about fans of a club not being from a particular area.
    It should not matter where in hell the OP is from, in fact it's obvious that it doesn't, given the fact that 2 other guys affected are from Manchester. What does matter is the fact that the club has treated about 60 of these guys extremely poorly.
    For an organisation the size of United, it really wouldn't have taken much to contact each person affected and engage them in dialogue to come to a mutually acceptable arrangement. But just to be told "You're out, and we'll see what we can figure out in 6 weeks" just seems very lazy and amateur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

baz2009 wrote: »
    You support Celtic I assume?
    Have they not being doing their best to fúck over the Green Brigade, the fans who make a real attempt to liven up games at Celtic Park, the last few seasons?

No I don't support a Scottish team. I'm Irish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement