Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why so many old threads?

Options
  • 04-05-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

And on similar subjects?

Also, if admin dislike us reprising old threads (as seems the case following a comment by one after my post in an older thread) then why not remove them? It's YOUR responsibility if it's something that is discouraged.

I'm not a mindreader!

Honestly I have never seen so many complaints about admin/mods on one site in all my life!

It is indicative of the useability and state of the site in general and reflects badly you do realise?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Feed Forward Public

• Registered Users Posts: 8 emmeygirl

Mountains out of molehills? Hardly! I am a member of a few sites similar in size to this, and there aren't anything like the number of complaints about admin/mods as there are on this site. And I was speaking of complaints in general, not specifically about old threads.

I am giving you feedback, a newbie's impression of the site. And I'm afraid it isn't a positive one!

As admin it is your job to moderate/remove threads and posts you don't wish added to, and generally keep the forum clutter-free, is it not?

No need to take it personally, or make generalisations about my opinions simply because you don't agree with them. That's what forums are for surely?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

How on earth did you think it would be a good idea to drag up a thread from 2004? :confused:

And how is it all the site's fault for you thinking without acting?

Thinking without acting? I posted in a thread about adverts. Correct me if I'm wrong but we still have adverts today do we not.

If we aren't supposed to post in threads what is the point of a forum site? It makes a nonsense of this site's raison d'etre.

And I have not been personal. Kindly show me the same courtesy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

How on earth did you think it would be a good idea to drag up a thread from 2004? :confused:

And how is it all the site's fault for you thinking without acting?

In fairness, the worst that can happen is that the person who drags up the old thread gets frustrated because they don't realise the original contributors have moved on. Generally dragging up an old thread doesn't cause any problems. I sometimes think that mods give out about it because its always been frowned on, without really giving any thought to why its being frowned on. It's frustrating when a users makes a valid addition to an old thread and the thread gets closed just because its old.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

For a new poster, it can be hard to tell what to do sometimes.
    Start a new thread? There's one here already: Merged. Add to an old one? This thread is from 2011: Locked.

I do think common sense does play a part though. "Oh, if you're still looking for a green bikini for your holiday, I just seen one in Penneys!!" is not going to be much use to the OP if they started the thread in 2005.

I find threads about a year old hard to judge sometimes, not 'zombie' but not exactly new either. But if it's still a relevant topic, I wouldn't see anything wrong with posting on a thread from a year or two ago. Any earlier and you'd really be better off starting a new one.

If you're new and unsure though, PMing a mod can help and they will tell you whether to 'bump' or not. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It's a fair point even if it was put forward in a rather demanding fashion. There are threads on other sites that span many years and on other sites you cannot add to them after as little as 60 days.

The thread the OP added to could have continued in the same vain as it had begun after then OP's bump and may have made for interesting reading. A chronology of terrible ads, if you like.

My understanding is that it was discouraged to prevent threads growing very long as they were harder on the servers. I'm curious to know what the general reason is? (Obviously in many cases the topic has long ceased to be relevant and reviving the thread clearly pointless)

As for the general level of complaints here, you really need to be around longer to make an informed decision. In comparing Boards to other bulletin boards you may not be comparing like with like.

Also, why not lock threads after a certain duration?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Oops, this was me. Sorry if I caused any offense, emmeygirl - it wasn't intended. The fact of the matter is that very few of the ads on that thread are on TV any more, and indeed, only about 15 of those posters are still active on this site (I checked!)

There is an active thread in the TV forum called Adverts you despise - feel free to join the discussion there and vent to your heart's content!

And no, I don't know why "Barry Scott" (AKA Neil Burgess) is still shouting at people 8 years later. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've noticed a lot more zombie threads since the new search engine. Maybe the site needs a better search results algorithm? I assume a lot of the newbies who make the mistake of bumping 9 year old threads are finding them via search. Type just about anything and see how old some of the results are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

tbh wrote: »
    In fairness, the worst that can happen is that the person who drags up the old thread gets frustrated because they don't realise the original contributors have moved on. Generally dragging up an old thread doesn't cause any problems. I sometimes think that mods give out about it because its always been frowned on, without really giving any thought to why its being frowned on. It's frustrating when a users makes a valid addition to an old thread and the thread gets closed just because its old.
    ^^^ Gold.

Speaking as a mod who has probably done that very thing at some point.

We all live and learn, that's what feedback is for. :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yeah, tbh nailed it, tbh. Soz.

IIRC, locking old threads became the norm because people used to bump old threads to get them back to the top of the forum, for no real reason. Adding something useful to a thread that happens to have fallen down the page numbers is really no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

tbh wrote: »

Agreed, it is also worth noting that the Television Charter does not forbid zombie threads, on the contrary, states:
    Before starting a new thread, please check see if there is already a similar thread existing. (Duplicate threads will be removed)(if there is already a thread on one particular programme/series, do not start another)

I do think the OP has a valid point, although I do understand why threads that were started years ago get closed. It should always be on a case by case basis and should be allowed run if they are still relevant, imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

emmeygirl, you weren't banned or warned or given an infraction. That's hardly worth a site-wide generalisation on moderating? The thread you posted in was nearly 9 years old! I'm struggling to thing of something in a thread where the posts are still relevant after that long.

The onus is on new users of the forum to use some judgment when posting. In your defence, perhaps something should be added to the notices to new posters to not drag up old threads unless there's an obvious reason to.

A big problem with bumping old threads is that existing users sometimes see new posts and end up reading the whole thing before realising its hopelessly outdated. But since there exists threads that still have relevance, even after years, it doesn't make sense to close all older threads. Instead we rely on the mods to judge when a thread should be closed, as it happens, often after it has been resurrected.

A big deal wasn't made of your bumping an old thread, I don't why you're making a big deal of it here.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I have the impression (rightly or not) that most charters have a similar proviso re searching for existing threads on the same topic. It used to be fairly standard. That's what makes the zombie thread rule a little bit counter-productive, imo.

Dades, you can't have your cake and eat it; either a thread is irrelavant, in which case it should be closed, and close it sooner rather than later. That way nobody can add to it, prompting mods/admin to close it. Think of the time and effort it would save, on the part of the poster innocently posting, and the mods chasing such posts, investigating and then closing the thread.

In turn the result would be no need for posts like this. Although my post was a query, with suggestions included, not intended as a 'groan' thread, but nevertheless I digress......

Less generated query and, even worse, complaint threads means less work for you, and suggests a well moderated site. There you go, here 3 days and I've suggested a route whereby your workload could be lessened.

But if the thread is still relevant, age irrespective, then I don't see any disadvantage in letting it run. As I said you can't have it both ways.

As an aside the youngest thread I've come across in my chosen catagories is already 3 months old, so it's Hobson's choice; contribute to an older thread, or start yet another duplicate on exactly the same subject. This in turn clogs up the forum surely? And makes finding a certain thread even more of a challenge, for mods and users alike.

I haven't made a big fuss; I have asked a question and made observations. And they are honest observations from a new site user, uncoloured by any bias or affiliation. You could use it constructively. Surely an uncluttered, easy-to-use site, where users know they are ok to post, and mods aren't chasing zombie threads, is the ideal?

As a last point, I used my discretion in chosing to post. I deemed the thread still relevant, as obnoxious adverts were, are, and probably ever shall be, a fact of life. And I made it relevant to the circumstances by choosing a very long-running ad as the subject of my post. Somebody explain how this showed a lack of common sense/judgment on my part under the circumstances.

emmeygirl, who do you suggest closes all these threads? Because, as mentioned, many threads do remain relevant so trawling through them to guess what won't be would be a serious increase in workload compared to closing the odd thread that pops up.

If you're going to close them anyway once someone posts in them then there's no increase in workload is there?

You're just doing the job sooner rather than later, and in doing so keeping the forum uncluttered.

emmeygirl wrote: »
    If you're going to close them anyway once someone posts in them then there's no increase in workload is there?

You're just doing the job sooner rather than later, and in doing so keeping the forum uncluttered.

That logic can only be applied if every single old thread is bumped, and they rarely are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

But how do you suggest the admins and mods find all these old threads? Where would you even begin? That would be a massive workload for people who in the majority are volunteers. It's just assumed if people stop posting in a thread that it'll die out naturally itself. And if someone drags up an old thread, they're just told to start a new one. I do see where you're coming from but I just think it's a lot of work.

But the vast majority of threads just fade away and become reading material for people searching through old stuff. It's only occasional threads that get 'resurrected' and need closing - so they don't all get closed eventually. It's really not a drain on mod time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've noticed a lot more zombie threads since the new search engine. Maybe the site needs a better search results algorithm? I assume a lot of the newbies who make the mistake of bumping 9 year old threads are finding them via search. Type just about anything and see how old some of the results are.

Yeah, the problem with search is that it defaults to "most relevant" with zero sorting by time. Top result can be 9 years ago. And if you sort by time, you can get total nonsense as the top results.
    Sorting by most relevant AND by time, as default, would be the best

But then, if there's no bar to posting in threads, then don't be surprised if folk do actually post in them.

If it's relevant, and doesn't break site rules is it a problem? Really and truly?

A hypothetical question; what factor/s change a thread from being postable in from one instance, to not in the next? Surely whenever it's closed in it's lifetime, it is a matter of discretion?

As a site member, in the face of so many older threads, I essentially have three choices;

i) don't post at all (if everyone chose this option it would make a nonsence of the rational of a forum site, and pretty soon it'd be a dead site)

ii) start a new thread on the same subject (this takes up room on the server, and in any case in some sections we are expressly asked not to do so)

iii) Join in with a relevant post to an old thread (I'm not talking about adding spurious posts willy-nilly just to bump an old thread here by-the-way.)

Do you agree the last option is the lesser of 3 evils?

I never suggested closing every old thread, just to clarify. Just those that, using discretion, would glaringly be irrelevant, no matter what was added to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I agree on the search. Most relevant in the last year sorted by date would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Let's take a step back here.

emmeygirl - how did you find that thread in the first place? What was your search criteria? "Barry Scott" or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah, the problem with search is that it defaults to "most relevant" with zero sorting by time. Top result can be 9 years ago. And if you sort by time, you can get total nonsense as the top results.
    Sorting by most relevant AND by time, as default, would be the best

This is very true. You can't blame people (especially new members) for posting in threads when the search function has effectively told them 'this is the most relevant thread for your query'

Boards should

1) Decide on some kind of policy of 'how old is too old' for a thread to be resurrected (either by forum or site wide). At the moment it seems to be 'you should know yourself' which is no help to anyone.

2) Change the search function so that it defaults to 'most recent' (or excludes search returns older than a specified time)

3) Put some kind of message on the search results to say something like "Threads which have had no posts since (whenever) are considered dead and will be probably be locked by the Moderators if you revive them. If there is no active thread older than this you should consider starting a new thread."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Skid X wrote: »
    3) Put some kind of message on the search results to say something like "Threads which have had no posts since (whenever) are considered dead and will be probably be locked by the Moderators if you revive them. If there is no active thread older than this you should consider starting a new thread."
    This presumes that posting in an old thread is a bad thing. That presumption is under challenge in this discussion.

I am of the view that reviving old threads is not necessarily bad. It seems to me (but I can't remember examples) that some mods have a knee-jerk reaction that leads them to lock old threads when a new post is made in them.

I agree the search default brings up a lot of old results. A change to that could solve a lot of this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I remember there was an issue with extra load on the database. I think this has been fixed though.

Most of the new posts in zombie threads are spammers in the forum I moderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This presumes that posting in an old thread is a bad thing. That presumption is under challenge in this discussion.

Depends on the forum and the topic. Something could be a year old and fine in AH, another topic, nope. There's a few things to think about, same with Politics. Topicality, the thread may now be irrelevant, discussed many times since. Events have moved on.
    It maybe better to start a new thread for many reasons.

Tbh, it is usually far better to start a new thread with a new OP, view, opinion, news article etc. than bump up something from 10 years ago. I'd try and point posters to a recent thread or start a new thread on the topic.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Some quick input on search; the relevancy / boosting algorithms used on search were always interesting, and with 37,266,063 posts currently indexed (spanning over 15 years) I don't think we'll ever get it perfect.

My main issues with some of the above comments revolve around limiting search's phrase matching relevancy in order to boost posts that were made relatively recently, when that functionality can be provided by using the available "Date" filters.

The power to search boards for information relating to an event that happened up to 15 years ago is amazing (I randomly tried "Nice Treaty" just there). I'd be against "diluting" that potential to combat some of the issues mentioned previously.

Is it a case that users are unaware that the current filters exist? Are they too limited (day / month / year)? Is it a user mentality issue as opposed to a limitation of search, that perhaps needs to be addressed in the UI as opposed to in core search behavior?

Search is on the list for a revamp (although it will be some time until we get around to it) so any further feedback is very welcome.

Advertisement