Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 12 days dry hopping too long?

Options
  • 04-05-2013 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

Due to exams and other commitments I don’t have time to bottle my latest dry hoped batch until next Sunday which would be 12 days in secondary with 50g of Hallertauer Hersbrucker, from your experience would this leave grassy flavours in the brew? I’m home Wednesday, don’t have time to bottle but could remove the muslin bag then, what would be better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Its a fairly subtle hop and you might not get much grassy flavours after two weeks anyway. Probably best take out hop bag when you can but it will be fine. Any grassy flavour will fade anyway. I usually aim to dry hop for about 5-7 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

mayto wrote: »
    Its a fairly subtle hop and you might not get much grassy flavours after two weeks anyway. Probably best take out hop bag when you can but it will be fine. Any grassy flavour will fade anyway. I usually aim to dry hop for about 5-7 days.

I think it will be fine after 12 days but I've never dry hopped before so I don't have anything to gauge it off.

Wasn’t too long in the end, lovely aroma. Definitely recommend dry hopping to any newbie’s like myself thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

What were you dry hopping with HH?

Yea, I know it wasnt meant for that style but it turned out really nice. The one thing I noticed was the bottles that were bottled first (from the bottom) did not have the same level of aroma as the later bottles.

• Advertisement

You haven't mentioned the style?

Tube wrote: »
    You haven't mentioned the style?

It was an American pale ale.

Unusual to dry hop an APA with HH. That'd be typically used in more European styles.

An APA would more typically be dry hopped with Cascade or another American hop.

Tube wrote: »
    Unusual to dry hop an APA with HH. That'd be typically used in more European styles.

An APA would more typically be dry hopped with Cascade or another American hop.

Yea it was my first time dry hopping so didn't really know what to use, I just knew it had to have low alpha acids, it turned out nice though. ive since found a website that gives info on the different hops.

Advertisement