Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do orthotics take to work ?

Options
  • 04-05-2013 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭

I got custom orthotics fitted last week, I was wondering how long does it take to start to see an improvement ? went for a very light jog this morning to see how I feel running with them, it definitely felt different, though not for the better .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

What did your orthotist/podiatrist say? I had to have mine adjusted several times before they worked but when they worked they worked immediately. Most providers specify a wearing in period though and provide detailed instructions for that.

There are a lot of variables that determine the answer to your question which somebody who hasn't seen you won't have access to such as why you needed them and what the condition of you feet/body are in and probably a few other things I can't think of at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Clearlier wrote: »
    What did your orthotist/podiatrist say? I had to have mine adjusted several times before they worked but when they worked they worked immediately. Most providers specify a wearing in period though and provide detailed instructions for that.

There are a lot of variables that determine the answer to your question which somebody who hasn't seen you won't have access to such as why you needed them and what the condition of you feet/body are in and probably a few other things I can't think of at the moment.

He said just wear as much as you can, I have worn then since I got them and to just ease back into sports, I know they are not obviously going to instantly cure my problem, I was just looking for a rough estimate. I notice today that the front calf muscles are a bit sore today, not injured sore but feels like they have had a work out they don't normally get, I presume that's from the orthotic correcting my stride.

How do they adjust them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

threein99 wrote: »
    He said just wear as much as you can, I have worn then since I got them and to just ease back into sports, I know they are not obviously going to instantly cure my problem, I was just looking for a rough estimate. I notice today that the front calf muscles are a bit sore today, not injured sore but feels like they have had a work out they don't normally get, I presume that's from the orthotic correcting my stride.

How do they adjust them ?

Not sure what you mean by front calf muscle... (AFAIK there are two but both are on the back of the lower leg) but stress on different muscles is certainly something that many orthotics wearers experience.

My orthotics were adjusted with a blow torch - soften the plastic enough to adjust the angle of the arch support. I imagine that if there was a problem with the heel post that he would have sent them back but I never needed to find out.

Not sure what you mean by front calf muscle... (AFAIK there are two but both are on the back of the lower leg) but stress on different muscles is certainly something that many orthotics wearers experience.

My orthotics were adjusted with a blow torch - soften the plastic enough to adjust the angle of the arch support. I imagine that if there was a problem with the heel post that he would have sent them back but I never needed to find out.

Haha yeah that does sound like I just made up a new muscle, I mean its beside my shin bone, on both legs,, so I'm hoping its just not use to getting a work out from the way I have been running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Presume OP is referring to Anterior Tibialis which is normally one associated with dorsiflexion so dont be too alarmed if you are feeling a bit of tightness there due to the change in food strike caused by your orthotics.

Unfortunately there are too many variables to give you an accurate adjustment time - the nature of the injury, how long you suffered from the injury, the condition of the muscles prior to going into the orthotics (muscle tightness etc)

Normally it is recommended to transition into any change in footstrike (barefoot, minimalist or orthotics). If your body has spent your whole life doing something one way and you all of a sudden try to change that the body will take time to adjust.

What I will say is stretch calve muscles and also when in shower use a bar of soap to run down along the tib. ant. with a bit of pressure as this is a hard muscle to stretch but this should help

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    Presume OP is referring to Anterior Tibialis which is normally one associated with dorsiflexion so dont be too alarmed if you are feeling a bit of tightness there due to the change in food strike caused by your orthotics.

Unfortunately there are too many variables to give you an accurate adjustment time - the nature of the injury, how long you suffered from the injury, the condition of the muscles prior to going into the orthotics (muscle tightness etc)

Normally it is recommended to transition into any change in footstrike (barefoot, minimalist or orthotics). If your body has spent your whole life doing something one way and you all of a sudden try to change that the body will take time to adjust.

What I will say is stretch calve muscles and also when in shower use a bar of soap to run down along the tib. ant. with a bit of pressure as this is a hard muscle to stretch but this should help

Thanks for the advice, the injury was a constantly tightening calf muscle, I have been stretching it daily, using a foam roller and started doing calf raises on a step at the weekend, I think I over did them though as its been quite tender since then.

Advertisement