Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nail on bottom of new sofa- scratched floor

Options
  • 04-05-2013 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

We ordered a custom made sofa from a well known Irish chain about 6 weeks ago and got it delivered yesterday - father in law let them in It's for the kitchen which is being redone at the moment so they left it upright in the sitting room. As it isn't ready for use yet we only opened the plastic a little bit and put it down to try it out - ended up scratching our floor! On checking the feet 3 had plastic pads but one had a sharp bit of metal and a bent nail sticking out of it! When I complained today the lady in the shop said she'd have to speak to her boss. Now I have met her boss before - she's a deeply unpleasant person so I'm expecting a battle. I'll probably end up having to go down the small claims court route - have I got a good case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

digitaldr wrote: »
    We ordered a custom made sofa from a well known Irish chain about 6 weeks ago and got it delivered yesterday - father in law let them in It's for the kitchen which is being redone at the moment so they left it upright in the sitting room. As it isn't ready for use yet we only opened the plastic a little bit and put it down to try it out - ended up scratching our floor! On checking the feet 3 had plastic pads but one had a sharp bit of metal and a bent nail sticking out of it! When I complained today the lady in the shop said she'd have to speak to her boss. Now I have met her boss before - she's a deeply unpleasant person so I'm expecting a battle. I'll probably end up having to go down the small claims court route - have I got a good case?

What is it that you're seeking?
    You have a very good case for having the missing plastic foot installed. It's indisputably missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Sorry thought it would have been obvious - looking to get our floor repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Sorry thought it would have been obvious - looking to get our floor repaired.

Unless you have proof that the couch caused the scratch, I imagine you won't have a leg to stand on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Unless you have proof that the couch caused the scratch, I imagine you won't have a leg to stand on.

What kind of proof do you think is acceptable proof?

For me, a nail sticking out of a couch leg and a scratch being left where that couch/nail was positioned is pretty good proof...unless the couch is supposed to scratch floors and that nail jutting out of the leg is a feature of the couch :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why not just wait until you get their response and then come back here, rather than jump in with talk of SCC immediately?

• Advertisement

As I said I've met the boss before and was also looking for a few pointers on how to deal with her. I'd rather not mention the name of the company but a google search reveals (pity I didn't do this earlier) lots of dissatisfied customers and almost every complaint mentions her! Staff are terrified of her too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

What kind of proof do you think is acceptable proof?

For me, a nail sticking out of a couch leg and a scratch being left where that couch/nail was positioned is pretty good proof...unless the couch is supposed to scratch floors and that nail jutting out of the leg is a feature of the couch :P

I more meant that wooden floors, especially laminate, can be easily scratched by all sorts of things, a picture of the couch on the floor showing that the scratch lines up with the nail would be more indicative.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As I said I've met the boss before and was also looking for a few pointers on how to deal with her. I'd rather not mention the name of the company but a google search reveals (pity I didn't do this earlier) lots of dissatisfied customers and almost every complaint mentions her! Staff are terrified of her too.

Please don't post speculative comments about the company. Stick to the facts.

dudara

OK sorry but won't be naming them. Anyway I think the scratch was actually caused by the little metal strip beside the nail - it's the same width. Probably the plastic pad was originally attached to this strip and I figure it probably fell off and rather than use a vice grips or pliers to pull it out the pad was reattached with a nail. Sorry to say it's Irish made:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

ShaShaBear wrote: »

I see what you did there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

I remember a similar thing happening a work mate a few years ago. Sofa was delivered by the company and in the process they scratched the new floor with it. Boss of the company offered €50 off for the damage but this was rejected and they eventually settled on a few hundred....I'm sure ye can come to an agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I remember a similar thing happening a work mate a few years ago. Sofa was delivered by the company and in the process they scratched the new floor with it. Boss of the company offered €50 off for the damage but this was rejected and they eventually settled on a few hundred....I'm sure ye can come to an agreement.

That's a different situation, the damage was done by the delivery men. In the OP's case no damage was done during delivery or while the sofa was stored on it's end, the damage was done by the OP him/herself long after delivery.
    Of course, the sofa should not have been defective but it could be argued the OP should have inspected the sofa before placing it on the floor and dragging it across the surface (that's how scratches occur). For this reason I think it's worth seeking an agreement but I'm not so sure the legal route would be fruitful.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

I don't see you getting compensation for this, but obviously, as the foot is missing, this should be replaced. By their nature, floors take a lot of wear and tear, there's no way to prove what caused the scratch.

Floor is less than a year old and it's the only mark on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

thats a 5 euro board max
    cost about 50 euros to replace the board properly
    get a quote off someone (probably the original installer) and show it to the sofa people
    i fix floors like that for furniture shops all the time tho normally because they scratch the floor while delivering

Thanks for that helpful reply. I'm still waiting to hear back from the sofa people. The board is laminate but a good quality one and normally very scratch resistant. I presume it's just a matter of cutting the board out and trimming and gluing the new one??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Thanks for that helpful reply. I'm still waiting to hear back from the sofa people. The board is laminate but a good quality one and normally very scratch resistant. I presume it's just a matter of cutting the board out and trimming and gluing the new one??

if it was my floor id unclick back to that board and replace it and click back the floor, you can simply cut out the board and glue in a replacement but its not the best way
    have you any spare boards? if not you can often get a single board but find out cos it'll be more if you have to buy a pack

Advertisement