Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCQs negative marking

Options
  • 04-05-2013 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi, just wondering for an mcq exam with 4 possible answers, 2 % for a correct one and -0.5% for a wrong answer, if you ticked all 4 boxes for just a question you didn't know the answer to, would you get 0.5%, instead of leaving it blank and getting nothing??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Probably not, I'd say if more than 1 box is ticked then it will be marked wrong. Could be wrong but would be very surprised if you could do that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

If I remember correctly from mine you just get a wrong answer. Though I never tried it, but that was what they had said.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

you can only pick 1 answer per question unless otherwise stated if not they just count it as a wrong answer. You may as well just leave the question you dont no blank

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

tipptop1 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering for an mcq exam with 4 possible answers, 2 % for a correct one and -0.5% for a wrong answer, if you ticked all 4 boxes for just a question you didn't know the answer to, would you get 0.5%, instead of leaving it blank and getting nothing??

Thanks in advance.

No, you can only have one answer per question, otherwise you get -0.5%.

But you're correct in a way, negative marking tries to induce a mean score of 0; so if you guess every answer chances are you'll get 0%.

In this case, those marks would work for a 5 possible answer mcq, but because there's only 4 possible answers the mean score for each question is 0.125 and not 0:

(probability of right answer)x(score of right answer) + (probability of wrong answer)x(score of wrong answer) should = 0

In this case:
    (1/4)x(2)+(3/4)x(-0.5)=0.125

Essentially, if you guess every answer on the test you'll get 6.25% overall.

Advertisement