Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Excuses, is this possible?

• 04-05-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Got 100 meg installed last week, after install the engineer did a speed test, got 50mb tops and told me if it was the same in a few days call support. Few days later i did, and an engineer came out, after a few minutes he replaced the modem, and sure enough was getting 103mb, that was Monday morning, Thursday i noticed very bad loading times for my browser, tech send an engineer and he comes out today, first he tells me that my pc is too old, i built this system 6 months ago.. then he says my network card is " degrading "

i ask him how in hell is that possible, he tells me well not degrading but too old, then after me telling him i won't accept that as i HAD 100mb+ for 4 days just fine. He then calls some guy who comes out with a laptop ( sticker still on it it was that new ) he gets 70mb wireless, and 105 Ethernet, at this point they have made up their mind, and i am trying to explain i HAD 100+ from Monday morning to Thursday. guy with laptop tells me i have too much in memory, i ask him to explain and he tells me you could have a virus, i tell him i scan every morning, now he says that could be the problem. anyway, im about to install fresh win 7 64 bit, to make sure there is no hidden spyware etc, but am i right in thinking he is talking bs?

I went out to my car a few minutes later, and the laptop guy was sitting in a van, didn't even work for UPC!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Fujiguy wrote: »
    Got 100 meg installed last week, after install the engineer did a speed test, got 50mb tops and told me if it was the same in a few days call support. Few days later i did, and an engineer came out, after a few minutes he replaced the modem, and sure enough was getting 103mb, that was Monday morning, Thursday i noticed very bad loading times for my browser, tech send an engineer and he comes out today, first he tells me that my pc is too old, i built this system 6 months ago.. then he says my network card is " degrading "

i ask him how in hell is that possible, he tells me well not degrading but too old, then after me telling him i won't accept that as i HAD 100mb+ for 4 days just fine. He then calls some guy who comes out with a laptop ( sticker still on it it was that new ) he gets 70mb wireless, and 105 Ethernet, at this point they have made up their mind, and i am trying to explain i HAD 100+ from Monday morning to Thursday. guy with laptop tells me i have too much in memory, i ask him to explain and he tells me you could have a virus, i tell him i scan every morning, now he says that could be the problem. anyway, im about to install fresh win 7 64 bit, to make sure there is no hidden spyware etc, but am i right in thinking he is talking bs?

I went out to my car a few minutes later, and the laptop guy was sitting in a van, didn't even work for UPC!!

So the other guy's laptop got the maximum speed? Have you tried a speedtest on any other devices? Ask friends to bring their laptops around to yours and run Speedtests on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

well...that all sounds clueless from UPC.

I'd use a wired connection and go to UPC's own speed tester:
    http://speedtest.upc.ie/

*do not use your wifi for this test*

See what you get, if you get reasonable speed then all is good.

This is step 1.

If that's ok then do a test using wifi, just remember that wifi speeds can vary wildly and if speed is slow on wifi you'll need to figure out what's wrong as this is not UPC's responsibility.

Post back here and people can help you

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Fujiguy

Well, i re-installed windows, and on IE8 i was getting 105, on firefox ( the only one i had used before i reinstalled ) im getting 42.

As it is on IE im consistantly getting 100-105

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Well, i re-installed windows, and on IE8 i was getting 105, on firefox ( the only one i had used before i reinstalled ) im getting 42.

As it is on IE im consistantly getting 100-105

What are you using to get these results?
    Did you use the upc tester?

That sounds more like a problem with firefox than a problem with upc

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Fujiguy

bealtine wrote: »
    What are you using to get these results?
    Did you use the upc tester?

That sounds more like a problem with firefox than a problem with upc

before and after have tried UPC, Speedtest.net, and magnet to test speeds, and yes it does look like firefox was the culprit

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2687548782.png

Edit: this is with 5 or 6 web tabs open, and in a G+ hangout!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

before and after have tried UPC, Speedtest.net, and magnet to test speeds, and yes it does look like firefox was the culprit

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2687548782.png

Edit: this is with 5 or 6 web tabs open, and in a G+ hangout!

Might be worth a go :

http://www.waterfoxproject.org/

Advertisement