Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shave Of The Day - Boards Edition

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

What sort of razor are you after and what is your total budget for everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

SOTD 07/03/17
    New to the Den. Stirling "Baker Street" Great soap, I highly recommend it.
    vNUm3ka.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

SOTD 07/03/17
    New to the Den. Stirling "Baker Street" Great soap, I highly recommend it.
    vNUm3ka.jpg?1

What did you use the gas for? :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Where was the stirling soap sourced actually? I've never used soap of any description, what would people recommend?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Where was the stirling soap sourced actually? I've never used soap of any description, what would people recommend?

You can get soaps locally from shaving.ie
    http://www.shaving.ie/shaving-soap/
    recommend this one,
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/razorock-xxx-shaving-soap.html

I got the Stirling Soap from Maggards razors, a US online store. Cost 20 euro including shipping and took 9 days to get here.

https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/stirling-soap-co-baker-street-shaving-soap-5-8oz/

They're sold out of "Baker Street" but they have "Executive man" which is nice and smells like Creed aventus.
    https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/stirling-soap-co-executive-man-shaving-soap-5-8oz/

Remember with shaving soap you will also need a brush. If you order from Maggards I'd recommend one of their own synthetic brands. They're good value and really easy to use.

https://www.maggardrazors.com/product-category/shaving-brushes/maggard-shaving-brushes/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, I've got a brush and 2 shaving creams, but I'd like to try a soap out to see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Interesting, I always found Strop Shoppe's scents too light. I'd imagine Sterling's version would be a lot stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thanks, I've got a brush and 2 shaving creams, but I'd like to try a soap out to see the difference.

You could start out with Proraso soap. It's good value and good quality.

Interesting, I always found Strop Shoppe's scents too light. I'd imagine Sterling's version would be a lot stronger.

Never had the Strop Shoppe version but, the scent strength on the Sterling is very good. The slickness with Sterling soaps is unbeatable. With all the soap wiped off, I could still run a razor across my face for touch ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Bump!

It's been a while since I've posted in here, so I'll show off something fancy to make up for it.

Joseph Rodgers & Sons

P7091090_zpsvosfbu8m.jpg

P7091096_zpsgdbbgycu.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭macrob77

This razor is amazing. Carved mother of pearl. Fancy indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

First post in this forum, please be kind

For years and years I bought Tesco own brand cream and either got ripped off by Gillette or used disposables. Lidl and Tesco disposables are ok, Bic were the work of the devil! How those yellow bics became a world famous brand I'll never know

I knew nothing about other ways to shave and tbh I still don't know much. I bought proraso green preshave and green soap last month and liked them.

Now I've bought my first DE razor and I'm trying the red and white proraso. I liked the green proraso over this red. I bought a selection of blades from different manufacturers in a goody bag, I'll just try them all.

I'm not a big fan of the aftershave. It does the job, little fragrance and I guess it's a good product but I'm going to go back to Nivea sensitive balm which I liked a lot!

The reason for Proraso everything even the brush is it's the only brand I know and it gets the best reviews on amazon. The razor is Nobelisk. Just picked it on reviews realy and I like it but never used any others to compare
    457364.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Azatadine

The brush will improve with use (and the smell will dissipate too).

I prefer the Proraso Sandalwood (red) splash over the green. I always found the green a bit too....strong.....

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭macrob77

Shave Of The Yesterday

2PXhfY7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

That one is exceptional.

My current setup is working very well for me.

Pre-Shave - Nivea for Men Facewash - There are a few different ones, he one I'm using has witch hazel in it, soap free.
    Soap - Tabac Shaving Soap, bought off amazon. Really easy to lather (in contrast I found MWF to take quite awhile to lather up) and gives a really nice thick foam
    Razor - Merkur 34c - Old reliable
    Blade - Personna Lab Blue
    Post Shave - Nivea for men cooling shave balm, again there are a few different ones of these but this one works very well.
    Splash of Tabac After shave lotion to finish.

This is the best setup I've had so far.

What I found with MWF, was that using it everyday makes it easier to get a nice lather. The soap starts to absorb some water when using it everyday and then for me it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

6 months ago I never knew alum existed

I'm one of those people who can bleed for a looooooooong time and no matter a shaving cut or a paper cut or a football tackle with studs I stay bleeding

My alum block which cost under 5 euro sorts my shaving cuts and tbh it will probably last me over a year.

I add my recommendation for Nivea Sensitive post shave balm. I love this product and is better than other post shave products I've used.

I have swopped out the Proraso shaving soap and now use Arko soap. It is a Turkish brand and I like it a lot

493835.jpg

Alum is something that every guy should be told about when learning to shave. It's so cheap and effective.

The Arko soap is a great performer but the scent is very devisive. It reminds me of urinal cakes so unfortunately it's not something I keep around for the few shaves I do have these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Agree. Alum an absolute must. But Arco is very Marmite. Divides opinions. Not for me I'm afraid. I use La Toja shave stick. Very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Wade and Butcher

7/8

Took me a few attempts to get this one shaving right. No clue why, as it would always pass hanging hair test but the shave would just be ok in the end, so I would just pack it away and say I would try hone it again another time.

In the meantime I switched to using kapton tape, instead of electrical tape and also changed up my honing technique.

I had some success with some other problematic razors that always gave me trouble so decided it was time to give this one another hone.

Finally I was able to get a nice edge on it, so something seems to have worked between the two changes.

Advertisement