Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shave Of The Day - Boards Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TruncatisVinea

You collect them ya? Do you have a favourite Dovo razor? Thinking of getting one for a gift from Knights barbers in Stephens green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

You've not quoted anyone for that question. Who was the question for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You collect them ya? Do you have a favourite Dovo razor? Thinking of getting one for a gift from Knights barbers in Stephens green.

I did some reading on Dovo and they're not as highly regarded as you'd think. I went for a real shave ready restored straight and it's excellent.

http://www.whippeddog.com/products/view/sight-unseen-razor for the razor and http://www.whippeddog.com/products/view/poor-man-strop-kit for the strop kit. Arrived in 5 days for me but do allow 14 days. Think I posted a pic of the straight here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

SOTD 2/8/16

wiWVm4M.jpg

SOTF 10/8/16
    Using my new RazoRock Plissoft, great brush and a frinkin steal for only 9 dollars
    http://www.italianbarber.com/products/razorock-plissoft-synthetic-shaving-brush

D55kE0M.jpg?1

• Advertisement

zwnazn.jpg

Fine SOTD 19/8/16

2KJXpoP.jpg?2

What is the Fine American shaving stuff like?

I've not read anything about them but have started seeing them more and more.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    What is the Fine American shaving stuff like?

I've not read anything about them but have started seeing them more and more.

Their after shave is top notch, especially American Blend. It's a barbershop in a bottle. I'll need a few more shaves with the soap before I can judge. The razor is modeled off the bakelite German slants. It shaves good but it's very lite and toy like. Doesn't even come close to my ATT R2 but, then nothing does. I bought it mainly to show it off in my Den with the box. Definitely not worth the money though.

K6OrigQ.jpg

• Advertisement

Lovely shave this evening. Real BBS. Feel great.

Pre: Proraso red Pre shave balm
    Soap: Tcheon Fung Sing Linea Intenso Artisan Shaving Soap - Sotto Zero Forte
    Razor: Muhle R89
    Brush: SOC Boar
    Blade: Feather

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Hi All, New to this forum and have only started DE Shaving recently. Today was my 3rd and most successful shave.

Fairly basic but extensive setup/routine

Pre shave cream: Proraso Green & KOS Green Oil
    Soap: Proraso Green
    Brush: Omega Boar Brush bought for 9 euro, It's beginning to really improve now on it's 10thish outing
    Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
    Blades: Wilkinson Sword Classic
    Post Shave: Brut Alaska & Nivea Sensitive Balm

Learned many things, like angle to shave at. Must really focus in order to shave slowly as I was used to flying through with cartridges.

Also my mustache and goatee areas are my problem areas, Must not cut against grain here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

Yeah I cannot shave against the grain at all no matter the razor, blade or prep done.

Just do one pass with the grain and thats good for me personally.

Todays Planned Shave

399864.jpg

Yeah I cannot shave against the grain at all no matter the razor, blade or prep done.

Just do one pass with the grain and thats good for me personally.

Yea did that today, After yesterdays super smooth shave just required a little trim. One pass with grain. Definitely acceptable for everyday shave.

400153.jpg

This mornings (Super smooth) shave. Doing the 30 day focus challenge so only variables on this are the Aftershave and the Balm

That Old Spice is interesting, where and what's it smell like? I assume a fresh artic smell?

That Old Spice is interesting, where and what's it smell like? I assume a fresh artic smell?

I really enjoy both the fresh fragrance and the lovely fresh feeling it produces on the skin. Lovely aftershave lotion for pretty reasonable price. Think the shower gel, aftershave lotion and deodorant can be bought in boots for €20

I got it in our local Joyce's supermarket for €4:50

Sorry I can't give you more detail on the fragrance but I'm just terrible @ describing and detecting smells as I'm a smoker.

Best I can do is it's a sweetish, perfumey, soapy, fresh smell that is very subtle and far from overpowering.

SOTD 28-Oct-2016

Same setup as previous post but with Brut Alaska and Nivea Anti Irritation. Added in Witch Hazel.

Good but not fantastic attempt today. As for picture "Trying" to get creative :D400276.jpg

No photo but went for a full face freeze this evening. Lovely in the winter.

Pre: Proraso Green preshave balm
    Brush: RazoRock Blondie Boar
    Razor: Muhle R89 Grande
    Blade: Vokshod
    Cream: Proraso Green

Lovely and fresh for a chilly evening.

• Advertisement

I don't particularly like the scent of the whitewater. Boots sell it if you are looking for it. I much prefer the Old Spice Original - it's my go to AS for everyday shaves. Although I did pick up a bottle of Tabac and it's fcuking gorgeous.

Orion wrote: »
    I don't particularly like the scent of the whitewater. Boots sell it if you are looking for it. I much prefer the Old Spice Original - it's my go to AS for everyday shaves. Although I did pick up a bottle of Tabac and it's fcuking gorgeous.

Is Tabac a talcum powder scent?

I'd call it a leather scent rather than talcum powder. Some floral notes that settle down quickly. Feels great on the skin and cools any razor burn well.

The missus loves it if that helps. It's cheap enough in Boots - a tenner for the 50ml bottle.

I'd call it a leather scent rather than talcum powder. Some floral notes that settle down quickly. Feels great on the skin and cools any razor burn well.

The missus loves it if that helps. It's cheap enough in Boots - a tenner for the 50ml bottle.

16/11/16, SOTD

krkA3YX.jpg?1

Clubman is a fav of mine too. I'd highly recommend you put it into a glass bottle that plastic will ruin the scent after a bit.

I had an old 400ml Floid bottle I pour mine into now as soon as I get a new bottle.

SOTF 23/11/16. Spicey, old school.
    8qnZXii.jpg?1

SOTD 16/12/16

jSVh8gQ.jpg?2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

20161224_113256.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Lamentabli sane

Can anyone help me with getting a good razor in Dublin? And some of that shaving equipment (brush, creams etc) Still relatively young... :D

Advertisement