Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping in Ireland - I'm looking for someone interesting in camping group

Options
  • 04-05-2013 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everybody,
    My name is Catia Kist, I'm new here...so, I'm from Brazil and I'm stay in Ireland for 6 months to learn English and traveling around Europe. In Brazil I love camping on the summer and I thinking here in Ireland has beautiful places for be camping, but I don't have idea where...So, I'm looking for Irish people or foreign that have be interest about camping...I don't speak english very well, sorry about my English. If u are interest in camping I'll be very happy in meet you... I hope find someone soon, because I already bought my tent, sleeping bag and picnic rug :)
    Great wishes,
    Catia Kist

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Moved to forum from teaching and lecturing. Hope this is a better location, mods please feel free to move if necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Hi there. I love camping but most of my friends would have no interest in. When were you thinking of going?
    I cant take any holidays but could join you for a day or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dublbubl

hey guys,
    same story with me. I'm just back from 5 day hiking/camping/mountaineering tour from Ukraine, where I'm originally from. I really like hiking, I used to spend half of my spare time for hiking.
    So I was thinking about something similar here in Ireland, but I've realized I don't know anything: routes, places, rules. I don't even know what's better to fill my rucksack with.
    So I'll follow your thread.
    In case if there will be at least 5-8 people we might make some research: plan a route, chose the dates, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

A word of caution before heading off into the hills with complete strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

So a very attractive Brazilian girl called Catia Kist is looking for an Irishman to go camping with. Sounds very dodgy. Approach with caution lads.

• Advertisement

Hi. My name is Larry. I'd like to go camping with single ladies who may not have previously heard of me.

Kindly form an orderly queue.

what do you guys recommend to do, for beginners?
    FAQ section says nothing about it.
    where to start?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheBuck

Hi ,
    The Mustard makes a valid point indeed but precautions can be taken .
    Tell your family friends where you are, who you are with , give them all the details , give them details of the person you are travling with even passport details.
    Check in with them every 3-4 miles with a simple txt message letting them know exactly where you are.

As For planning thats what I am doing , end of July im heading on a week long hike from Glenmalure all the way to Maraly park , South to North. I recoken it will take about 3-4 days hiking and I wont be following the Wicklow way. Just Heading North.
    With regards to what to bring , I personally would say think of the weather and plan your route.
    For example this is my route
    http://goo.gl/maps/KZlp6

Now I wont be strictly following this route exactly but its a rough path of where Ill be going. Ill be able to pick up fresh water and food at laragh but after that there are no shops so id need to pick up enough to last me until Maraly park.
    So thats roughly 3-4 days straight of walking with , Hopefully no people.

Your welcome to tag along but id prefer if we meet up first in a public place maybe 2-3 times before hand and see if we are good for each other in terms of hiking in hills. I'm not a fast walker but not slow either and I have a whole week free to play with so if time is an issue for you then best to work something out for your self.
    Let me know what you think.
    The buck

hi Buck,
    normally I have a map with fresh water sources on it - like rivers, rock brooks etc., spots you can camp at. are you saying there is none, or that you prefer not to use them?
    Other point is - what about the camping?
    I don't know the rules here - are you allowed to make camp and fire whenever you want it to be?
    What about forest keepers? are there any men who drive around the forest to check if you are not making fires?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheBuck

dublbubl wrote: »
    hi Buck,
    normally I have a map with fresh water sources on it - like rivers, rock brooks etc., spots you can camp at. are you saying there is none, or that you prefer not to use them?
    Other point is - what about the camping?
    I don't know the rules here - are you allowed to make camp and fire whenever you want it to be?
    What about forest keepers? are there any men who drive around the forest to check if you are not making fires?
    Cheers

Oh yes , I have a separate map with Rivers etc etc marked out so when I need water I can head there, may need to boil it or just collect it from the rain.
    Im in no way an expert on the camping but when I do it it will be in a secluded spot , for max of one night.
    This will help answer some of the questions
    http://www.coillte.ie/fileadmin/templates/pdfs/Coillte_Eng_12.pdf

Basic rules are , Leave No trace , leave it as you found it , or as I like to do , that no one would know you were there in the first place. Leave no rubbish ( one of my pet hates).
    With regards to Fire , keep it small and only for when you need it.
    Forest Keepers ? No Idea , never seen them but its not them id be worried about its just other campers with a phone ;-).

Id say the longer the hike the more you need to plan remember the key points.
    Shelter, Water , Food, Warmth. Im sure there are others but if you have those basics its a good start. Id also recommend doing a wilderness course it will teach you the basics, like how to light a fire, compass and Map, Build a shelter from whats around you.
    Dont rely on your phone as there are no spare electrical sockets to charge up from.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

TheBuck wrote: »
    Oh yes , I have a separate map with Rivers etc etc marked out so when I need water I can head there, may need to boil it or just collect it from the rain.

are you using a fire to boil it or you have a traveler gas cooker with you?
    TheBuck wrote: »
    Im in no way an expert on the camping but when I do it it will be in a secluded spot , for max of one night.
    This will help answer some of the questions
    http://www.coillte.ie/fileadmin/templates/pdfs/Coillte_Eng_12.pdf
    thanks for the link.
    where do you sleep then if your route takes 3-4 days?

Cheers

dublbubl wrote: »
    what do you guys recommend to do, for beginners?
    FAQ section says nothing about it.
    where to start?
    Cheers.

I would say that it can be hard to find a good camping spot in Ireland. If you want to find one, either you find it when you are out hiking, or you have to get Ordnance Survey maps for a particular area, try to choose a likely spot and then hike out to see if it is suitable.

Often, when you choose a camping spot from a map, it doesn't turn out very well. It may be too wet or too exposed to the wind.

In any case, if you stick at it, you will find a suitable place eventually.

I think that you asked about Park Rangers. They exist. Others will know more than I do, but all that can say is that I've never met one when I was out and about. There may be more of them around County Wicklow, I don't know.

As regards cooking, most national parks have rules which don't allow campfires. Those park rules may also have rules restricting (but not necessarily forbidding) camping. You could always use a camping stove like a trangia or a gas stove like you mentioned.

Thanks Mustard,
    That's at list something to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 youngbury

catiack wrote: »
    Hi everybody,
    My name is Catia Kist, I'm new here...so, I'm from Brazil and I'm stay in Ireland for 6 months to learn English and traveling around Europe. In Brazil I love camping on the summer and I thinking here in Ireland has beautiful places for be camping, but I don't have idea where...So, I'm looking for Irish people or foreign that have be interest about camping...I don't speak english very well, sorry about my English. If u are interest in camping I'll be very happy in meet you... I hope find someone soon, because I already bought my tent, sleeping bag and picnic rug :)
    Great wishes,
    Catia Kist

Hey Catia,
    I'm hoping to go camping along the Wicklow Way at the end of the month setting off from Dublin- I bought a book (which hasn't arrived from amazon yet!) http://books.google.ie/books?id=wp-PSlncUwMC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false, but it seem to have a route from Marley Park to Clonegal (looks like it takes about 5 days). Take a look and see what you think!
    Niamh (girl, 21)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dazack

Very good Points Mustard! Catiack I would be extremely cautious about hiking with complete strangers! Follow the above advise and bring a friend you already know!!!

I would recommend some sort of walking club! Theres loads in wicklow and I'm sure google can get details for them!

Also, I'm considering doing some standing camping for a long weekend with some friends near the Coast, anyone know the laws with regards to camping in a random field or is it just "once were tidy its grand"

Dazack wrote: »
    anyone know the laws with regards to camping in a random field or is it just "once were tidy its grand"

Most land in Ireland is in private ownership, so a field will belong to someone, possibly a farmer. Some farmers don't care, once no mess is left behind, but I suppose most farmers probably like to be asked before people camp on their land.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dazack

most farmers probably like to be asked before people camp on their land.

Thanks Mustard! That's what I always intend to do if the land does belong to someone, however, I'm wondering does anyone have any tips or suggestions of places to stay for 2 nights. I'd hate to camp on a farmer's land for a full weekend as it's sort of taking the mick!

Advertisement