Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting a plant

• 04-05-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭

Just bought a Periwinkle (Ralph Shugart) and I'm wondering would I be able to split the plant at root now before planting so I can have it in two locations. From what I can remember this plant is fairly hardy but i'm not sure if splitting it would be wise.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

No problem so long as the smaller sections have a reasonable piece of root.

If you soak the root you should be able to tease away even viable smaller sections yielding at least 3-4 plug sized plants from a standard 2litre pot.

Alternatively take cuttings and you can propagate even more plants and ready within a few weeks for planting out.

1 Vinca is well capable of colonising a small hill in time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

Thats great, thanks. I was thinking of splitting it up and planting in maybe a basket to help contain them.

Advertisement