Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What DAW and gear do you use?

Options
  • 04-05-2013 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

Thought there would be a sticky already or did I miss something?

Longtime DJ going to get into production. Still no idea which route to go for House music. Maschine and NI stuff ?(already into NI as I use Traktor), Logic? (Seems to be quite standard but looks complex) or Ableton?(looks a bit toyish but seems quite popular, push controller looks pretty cool).

I know there are some other options and choosing is very subjective down to feel, workflow, etc, but posting your setup will give newer folk an insight into what others are using.

Possible to sticky Mods?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

As you say it's all subjective. Whatever works for you is the best choice. Download a trial for each DAW and see what feels easiest to use.

By the way Logic only works on Mac OSX so that's a factor to consider. For Windows, you have Ableton, FLStudio, StudioOne, Cubase, Reaper etc to choose from.

Ableton is very common which has the added bonus that you'll find a ton of tutorials specifically for it. Personally I don't like it's interface compared to others but it's quality is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Ableton works on Mac/PC also - plus it picks up the AU units inside logic (I've got both installed)

The push is pretty robust and you can write without touching the laptop after short learning curve - Going to be interesting to see what people do with that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Ableton works on Mac/PC also - plus it picks up the AU units inside logic (I've got both installed)

The push is pretty robust and you can write without touching the laptop after short learning curve - Going to be interesting to see what people do with that! :)

Is there any problem having Ableton and Logic on the same computer? I'm guessing there isn't. With DJ software there can be problems if both softwares are using files located in the same place (i.e. the music files) as each software wants to import it and write a tag for it. With a DAW I'm sure all your file are your own creations and just stay in their own respective folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Is there any problem having Ableton and Logic on the same computer? I'm guessing there isn't. With DJ software there can be problems if both softwares are using files located in the same place (i.e. the music files) as each software wants to import it and write a tag for it. With a DAW I'm sure all your file are your own creations and just stay in their own respective folder.

No problems here.... you can have all the daws on same machine - The only issues might be that some vst/au will show in some and not others (as some instruments are exclusive to the daw)

Good folder management is always a good thing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Rob Humanoid

As people have already said it's all very subjective, and in all honesty they all essentially do the same job. The three that I've experience with are Logic, Ableton and Presonus S1.

Logic may look complex but it's pretty handy once you get going. And remember, while it has loads of features chances are you'll only be using the stuff that you need. It has good 'in the box instruments' too. It's sampler is basic but still very usable. It own synths are good, as well as the mighty Ultrabeat (drum synth/sampler) and all for 199e!!. Logic has the best boutique plugins in any DAW (imo). However, it's workhorse plugins like it's EQs, Compressor and limiter, are okay. It does need a bit of an update as well. But it's on the way! :)

While Ableton's interface looks a bit toyish as you've said. It's a very good DAW too. It's got a decent set of FX and a good fast work flow. Again, like Logic, some of it's workhorse FX could be better (EQ and Compressor) . Now, I was using V8 so I believe V9 is better again and now uses 'the Glue' as it's compressor algorithm which is very good. And if your into sound warping and pitching - Ableton is hands down THE best. Although, Logic's flex time is good too. Ableton has some quality synths that you can buy as ad ons. Like 'Sampler and Operator' assuming you don't buy the full sweet (which will have the whole shebang!).

I now use Presonus S1. I changed over from Logic because I love its ez workflow. It's also evolving at a very fast rate. S1 V3 will be a monster! While it doesn't have as many boutique FX as Logic. It's main workhorse effects are probably better than Abletons (V8 anyway) and Logics (imo). But to be honest most of my plugins are all 3td party anyway. Also, S1 is available on Mac and PC where you are tied to a mac with Logic.

In all honesty any of those can give you professional results. It's really down to the producer and what he does with his toys. :) After trying a demo or two. Try and watch a song build on youtube. Then you will see exactly how the DAW works. Because demoing stuff is often hard when your going to try 2 or 4. Because you might find that one seems a little bit off putting, but yet it could be the one for you when you get you head round it so to speak.

Cheers,

Rob.

PS - Cubase could also be worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Darkwarriorcok

logic is 450 euro!

logic is 450 euro!

That's for the full suite. Logic express 9 is around the 200 mark.

Apart from a bit of chop sticks I haven't really messed around with keyboards at all (or the midi variety). I have the NI Maschine app for my iPad just for fooling around. I love laying down the beat and percussion and building a nice group with some simple bass notes. I haven't had much joy building on that as apart from a good set of ears I really don't know how to lay a musical lead or melody together. I don't know how far random tinkling of keys will work out for me in a DAW. Are other people here musos or can the trial by error way get some leads together?
    To be honest I would love to do piano lessons to get a bit of music theory down but that won't happen anytime soon. How do the rest of you work or are you sample crazy?

Tell a lie... Logic Pro 9 is 179.00 form the apple store. That's a great deal for such a high quality DAW.

https://www.apple.com/ie/logicpro/

You don't need to learn the KB to be honest, or even that much music theory, but it will help in the long run. You'll actually pick it up as you go along tho'. For House (and most EDM) a grasp of the basics will see you on your way.

I don't use many samples per se'. Well, I'll layer my own beats (form samples of course). Then I'll start with notes of midi in the DAWs piano roll (I can't play the kB at all). I like to use the Virus for the initial bass sounds. Then I'll mangle it up in a sampler and add lot of FX as well. Then once I have the main baseline down with decent drums the song evolves form there. I usually have a theme of something that I want to convey before I start with anything.

Lots of good stuff of how people write full house tunes on Y.T. There's no right or wrong way really everyone has their own approach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Darkwarriorcok

Tell a lie... Logic Pro 9 is 179.00 form the apple store. That's a great deal for such a high quality DAW.

https://www.apple.com/ie/logicpro/

You don't need to learn the KB to be honest, or even that much music theory, but it will help in the long run. You'll actually pick it up as you go along tho'. For House (and most EDM) a grasp of the basics will see you on your way.

I don't use many samples per se'. Well, I'll layer my own beats (form samples of course). Then I'll start with notes of midi in the DAWs piano roll (I can't play the kB at all). I like to use the Virus for the initial bass sounds. Then I'll mangle it up in a sampler and add lot of FX as well. Then once I have the main baseline down with decent drums the song evolves form there. I usually have a theme of something that I want to convey before I start with anything.

Lots of good stuff of how people write full house tunes on Y.T. There's no right or wrong way really everyone has their own approach.

you want the suite if moving to logic!

• Advertisement

you want the suite if moving to logic!

The suite is the 30 gigs of samples isn't that right? In logic's case you get the full working DAW with all it's instruments, but you miss out on the samples (if I remember correctly).

That would be the same if you went for Ableton Live and not the suite edition. Except with Ableton you don't get any synths or full sampler (unless you go buy the full suite). So that makes Logic a better deal imo.

However, that said, it really depends on your needs... I used very little of Logic's own samples tbh. Most of my samples came form Kontakt and Mach 3 plus I've been buying specific drum samples for my needs. Same with S1, I have gigs of samples from buying the professional version, but I've barely even looked at them.

But your right, if you plan on using loops and ready made samples. Then it's good to look at getting a suite of some kind. Many of the samples for Ableton and Logic are great, and it would save you a lot of time on tracking down samples. Plus, they also have some quite odd samples/FX that are great for giving you some musical inspiration.

Also, thinking further about DarkW said, because he makes a good point...

If you don't get the suite, you're going to have to get your mitts on samples at some point. So buying individual samples form different venders can prove quite expensive. With a suite you get pretty much all the stuff you need, and you'll be up and running in no time.

From an outsiders p.o.v. it seems like NI have all the killer sounds and samples. (or maybe it is just the slick advertising). I watched a clip of MK (house producer who does a lot of remix work), and he was using Maschine to chop or samples and parts and then drag them into Logic. Because I am pretty tactile I think I like the idea of using Mashine or even Push as an input device instead of just a my laptop keyboard or a midi keyboard.
    The NI ecosystem with Maschine and then all their software and samples seems like a nice set up. THen maybe Logic Express (not suite) would do the trick for the DAW.
    Any NI users here. Good points, bad point?

Also, I am reading the Dance Music Manuel by Rick Snoman. The part on music theory is a bit tough to digest but I'm glad they introduced the chapter with a good quote from Farley Jackmaster Funk below;

"All you need is a feel for the music. There are people that have been to college to study music and they can't make a simple rhythm track, let alone a hit record."

• Registered Users Posts: 45 zoid

i use Ableton mostly, and Logic a bit. with Ableton i never bought the Suite, cause there was loads of stuff i knew i'd never use. i would recommend just getting the basic version and adding a couple of bits that you really like. for example Sampler is really good.

To make sure that you get sounds that are suitable for your music you should look different places, listen to demos and samples, and buy only the stuff which really jumps out.

Been looking for good percussion samples for ages, think i'm going to get BFD and the percussion expansion pack, sounds great.

Advertisement