Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this computer worth sorting out

Options
  • 04-05-2013 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Hi I have an old Dell XPS Desktop from around 2007/8 running windows xp
    I bought it from an old internet cafe years ago. I haven't switched it on in years but as far as I remember it was riddled with viruses and malware. I think at the time the only solution was to re install windows. But I didn't have an official disk at the time so forgot about it.

I have been thinking of resurrecting it to use as a gaming PC but I don't know if its going to be worth it, I imagine it will need some upgrades.
    I don't need a serious machine, just something for the likes of Eurotruck simulator 2 and that kind of thing.

Thanks

EDIT: I dont know the full specs of it, but I know Dell have a database where I enter the build code. I can't seem to find it now so if anyone can point me towards the build code and where to enter it I'd also be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Dell use a service tag system, the service tag should be on the PC tower somewhere, along with the Windows XP product key. Its useful if you need drivers or documentation from the Dell website.

A computer like that would be fine for general email/browsing, wouldnt really be the ticket for gaming but I guess you could try it if you dont play graphics/RAM heavy games. If it was riddled with spyware, a reinstall of the OS would be the only solution. Should be as good as new after that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Depending on the spec it may be worth upgrading, also I would advise you to purchase Windows 7 and use that instead, as Windows XP support ends next year, and after that the operating system will not receive any critical security patches

Nick

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Linux box maybe? Have you got any other systems knocking around?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/TroubleShooting/ProductSelector

Enter your service tag into that page and it should give you all the information you need about your system.

The service tag is a 7 digit alpha numeric located on the back of the system, usually just below the power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Could go with Linux rather than Windows 7, depending on the spec of the machine. Linux isnt great for gaming though and takes some getting used to. When you get the details of the machine, post the specs here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement