Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good dog harness, desperate.....

• 04-05-2013 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

My dog is like Houdini getting out of her harness when were out walking. It's driving me and and making me very nervous to bring her out walking. I have it tight on her(not too tight) but she still managed to get out of it on today's walk, thank god we were in a park and eventually managed to catch her.

Any recommendations for a good dog harness she won't be able to get out of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

Lambo28 wrote: »
    My dog is like Houdini getting out of her harness when were out walking. It's driving me and and making me very nervous to bring her out walking. I have it tight on her(not too tight) but she still managed to get out of it on today's walk, thank god we were in a park and eventually managed to catch her.

Any recommendations for a good dog harness she won't be able to get out of?
    in the same position have a whippet pup and only wsy stopped her fromdoing it so far is having her jacket on over it but coming into summer thst wont really work if you Google harness on Google snd look at images theres one with three kinda links but you'd have order them know tge dogs size and they cost at least sixty quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I got my harness made here- http://www.marwalsh.ie/about-us.25.html didn't cost a fortune and the quality is amazing. Soft leather, brass trim, hand stitched and best of all, no escaping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Is it a harness that the upper part goes around the neck or do you put the dogs front legs through it.
    I think the neck one is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Lambo28

She's unreal she has my heart in my hand sometimes. Il have a look on that website, thanks and mr google!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

I was recommended a Ruffwear Webmaster harness on another thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84190184. Specifically the person who recommended it said that her dog was a bit of an escape artist and that this harness appeared bullet proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

A Julius-K9. On sale at the moment. Zooplus and Amazon have them.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/esearch.htm#q=julius%20k9

(I use to have a simple step-in harness. One of my dogs use to stand still when I went to pick something up and if I pulled her towards me, her old harness would come off.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

How about the halti harness that uses the double ended lead and it attaches onto the collar for extra security? It's a front attachment which I find much better for pullers. (although I have the sense-ible one that is also recommended above)

http://www.petshoponline.ie/index.php/halti-harness-stops-dog-pulling-on-lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Clip a second lead to her collar as a backup. Job done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

snoman wrote: »
    I was recommended a Ruffwear Webmaster harness on another thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84190184. Specifically the person who recommended it said that her dog was a bit of an escape artist and that this harness appeared bullet proof.

I 100% second this. I had the very same problem with my dog she could escape from any harness -so I got her the Webmaster by Ruffwear. It is totally escape proof - its absolutely fantastic, once its on it stays on and I dont believe any dog on this earth could escape from it! Its lightweight, comfortable and it also gives great control - its a bit pricey but worth it for the absolute peace of mind it gives. I cant recommend it highly enough.

edit to add: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruffwear-Master-Dogs-Harness-Medium/dp/B001QC57KE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

How about the halti harness that uses the double ended lead and it attaches onto the collar for extra security? It's a front attachment which I find much better for pullers. (although I have the sense-ible one that is also recommended above)

http://www.petshoponline.ie/index.php.halti-harness-stops-dog-pulling-on-lead

The halti harness has a clip on it which attaches the harness to the collar, a simple little safety feature which means that if your dog wriggles out of one, you're still attached to him by the other! Indeed, with any of the front-attachment harnesses, you can clip your lead to both the harness, and also to the collar.

I use the Perfect Fit harness on my dogs, and it's hard to see a dog wiggling out of one! But as you're well-versed on your own dog's Houdini skills, you'd need to judge for yourself!
    http://www.dog-games-shop.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I found the harness that goes around the waist annoying one dog chewed it in just the right (wrong ) place and it makes them rather hot.
    The little halti that fits over the nose is great though dogs don't like it for the first 100 metres but soon forget about it and it has the benefit of not putting too much pulling pressure on the legs - have a dog with hip dysplasia and it worked a treat for him - the only downside is it looks like a muzzle and some wrongly believe I have a vicious dog :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think more dogs hate a headcollar than hate a harness though, no? Working dogs for tracking and search and rescue routinely wear harnesses with no ill effect anyway.
    I know more dogs that have wriggled out of headcollars than have wriggled out of harnesses, so the headcollar may not be the answer in this particular case, with such a determined Houdini dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Lambo28

Thanks for the suggestions,il have a look at them all!

I had a halti one before but it wore very quickl, it was a great one though.

She can even get out of her neck collar, she will actually do in front of us, drop it in our lap and walk away!

DBB wrote: »
    I think more dogs hate a headcollar than hate a harness though, no? Working dogs for tracking and search and rescue routinely wear harnesses with no ill effect anyway.
    I know more dogs that have wriggled out of headcollars than have wriggled out of harnesses, so the headcollar may not be the answer in this particular case, with such a determined Houdini dog![/quote

The one I'm talking about straps twice across nose and forehead - great for training to lead as a small correction lowers the head - I have a houdini too she's either chewed or wriggled out of everything else! But I agree dogs don't like them at first.

Pretzill wrote: »
    DBB wrote: »
    I know more dogs that have wriggled out of headcollars than have wriggled out of harnesses, so the headcollar may not be the answer in this particular case, with such a determined Houdini dog![/quote

The one I'm talking about straps twice across nose and forehead - great for training to lead as a small correction lowers the head - I have a houdini too she's either chewed or wriggled out of everything else! But I agree dogs don't like them at first.

I think an escape artist dog could injure its neck if it tried to escape from a headcollar.

maggiepip wrote: »
    Pretzill wrote: »

I think an escape artist dog could injure its neck if it tried to escape from a headcollar.

Have you any proof of that? I only collar my dogs to walk them I'd never leave a dog in a collar without being right beside them. Dogs that fight the lead need more work in the training department but some are strong and determined to run free - lots of patience can be required - it was a vet that recommended the nose halti to take the pressure off my dogs bad hip - it worked he's still going strong in double digits.but size, shape etc has a bearing on harness versus halti or just ordinary collar

I wasnt criticizing you personally....... My common sense tells me if a dog jerks around too much or suddenly pulls/wiggles too much while wearing one of these head collars that there is a definite risk of neck/spinal injury from the way the neck could be snapped. But if it works for your dog thats great.

maggiepip wrote: »
    I wasnt criticizing you personally....... My common sense tells me if a dog jerks around too much or suddenly pulls/wiggles too much while wearing one of these head collars that there is a definite risk of neck/spinal injury from the way the neck could be snapped. But if it works for your dog thats great.
    Nothing personal taken more unbelievability of course you could be talking about small dogs the thoughts of neck snapping wouldn't enter my head! Would imagine any risk.of this happening may be a case of fake.or.badly.constructed collars - scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭lovelyjubbly

I had the same problem with Bert when he was a pup, he's a small dog (jrt pug x) and he could get out of extra small no problem. I tried a couple of different harnesses and I had the same problem so I bought a cheap dog jumper for about a fiver, cut off the hood and made a slit for the harness clip to see if it would help. It did! He couldn't slip off the harness and I had time to correct him whenever he tried. I got a bit of ribbing for dressing him but I thought to hell with it if he's safe! He's bigger now and fits his harness snugly so I don't use the jumper anymore, he doesn't try as much to break free anyway.

• Advertisement

I had the same problem with Bert when he was a pup, he's a small dog (jrt pug x) and he could get out of extra small no problem. I tried a couple of different harnesses and I had the same problem so I bought a cheap dog jumper for about a fiver, cut off the hood and made a slit for the harness clip to see if it would help. It did! He couldn't slip off the harness and I had time to correct him whenever he tried. I got a bit of ribbing for dressing him but I thought to hell with it if he's safe! He's bigger now and fits his harness snugly so I don't use the jumper anymore, he doesn't try as much to break free anyway.

Thats clever:D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Best one I ever had was called (at the time) a Gentle Walker. It consisted of a collar with two big rings at the throat and two smaller rings at the back. Then there was a set of two leads about a metre long, joined in a V. You clipped the two ends to the throat ring, ran each lead under the front legs and back up to the rings at the back of the collar and through, and then clipped them to your main leash.

The effect of this is that if the dog pulled, the harness tightened around the torso. Weirdly, this reassured and gentled the dog completely.

They're still being made, but I don't know what the name is now - phone Breffni Pets in Windy Arbour, they sell them. But don't ask for the harness by name, because there's one with a similar name that's quite different.

Advertisement