Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall grasses in wind and rain?

• 04-05-2013 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

I want to introduce some tall grasses into a new border but I am wondering how well they stand up to a combination of wind and rain? I'm looking at a few Calamagrostis Carl Forester a Stipa Gigantea and I have another spot for a Molinia. I presume the Molinia would be fine considering its a Moor grass but how about the other two? Living in Galway city it does rain a fair bit and can get quite gusty would I find flattened plumes or would they recover?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

padi89 wrote: »
    I want to introduce some tall grasses into a new border but I am wondering how well they stand up to a combination of wind and rain? I'm looking at a few Calamagrostis Carl Forester a Stipa Gigantea and I have another spot for a Molinia. I presume the Molinia would be fine considering its a Moor grass but how about the other two? Living in Galway city it does rain a fair bit and can get quite gusty would I find flattened plumes or would they recover?

Have a look at some of the miscanthus grasses. They have a stiffer stem and when planted in groups they look great.
    They have attrctive seed heads in autumn .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Thanks I know miscanthus are more sturdy alright just specifically looking at the types mentioned at the moment.
    As a matter of interest how do people find the flowering on Miscanthus? Do yours flower, I have read about them not reliably flowering in certain climates?
    Have my eyes on Flamingo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Most tall grasses especially those which are more ornamental eg Stipa Gigantea are vulnerable to some damage during prolonged windy spells.

They will always survive any battering but the seed bearing stems are fragile an dmost likely break.

Nothing life threatening and plant will recover in no time. I would take a chance with the Stipa, a fabulous grass especially if you can plant it where it can be admired against the setting sun in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Went ahead anyway today and picked up a Stipa Gigantea couldn't resist, im so looking forward to its flowering.
    Thanks Sonnen the space will pick up the morning light briefly but will bathe in late afternoon and evening light.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

I live in a very exposed place - have Stipa gigantea doing well, but I sometimes lose the flowering spikes to the wind:(
    On the other hand I can't keep Miscanthus alive, and they're expensive:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Woodrush Grass is a lovely flowering grass.

The flowers grow to about 4 feet tall,and attract in the bees and hoverflys too.....(allways good for the garden).:)

It likes semi shade.

You can divide it up aswell to create new grasses.

After it has flowered and gone over,then you can cut it back and split them out.

2 of these small grasses has given us 9 new big flowering grasses (splitting them out) in 1 season.

Advertisement