Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you deal with anxiety about the Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 04-05-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I have a lot of trouble studying and keeping concentration. The Leaving Cert course is mind numbing. I suppose one of the reasons I put study off is because I guess I feel like failing without trying is a better alternative to failing when I've tried. I've always managed to float along in school and get good grades, but now I feel the anxiety building. I feel like it's too late to do anything and like I'm going to fail everything. I know this is counter-productive, but I still can't stop. I constantly feel as if I'm about to collapse or die and I have to consciously remind myself to breathe and calm down sometimes. It's hard to explain but it feels awful.

Even if I do get my course, I still probably won't be able to afford university. My parents are in that awkward part of the income bracket. They're not earning enough to be able to contribute anything to my fees, but they're earning just over the limit to qualify for a grant. I've sent CVs everywhere for a summer job, but there are no jobs available anywhere.

I feel like a loser and if I can't deal with a stupid set of exams I don't know how I'm going to deal with anything in life. I just don't see the point to anything anymore.

I've ranted for longer than I intended to, so I will just wrap things up now. I suppose I was just wondering how do people deal with anxiety about exams? Is it too late to start cramming now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

I have a lot of trouble studying and keeping concentration. The Leaving Cert course is mind numbing. I suppose one of the reasons I put study off is because I guess I feel like failing without trying is a better alternative to failing when I've tried. I've always managed to float along in school and get good grades, but now I feel the anxiety building. I feel like it's too late to do anything and like I'm going to fail everything. I know this is counter-productive, but I still can't stop. I constantly feel as if I'm about to collapse or die and I have to consciously remind myself to breathe and calm down sometimes. It's hard to explain but it feels awful.

Even if I do get my course, I still probably won't be able to afford university. My parents are in that awkward part of the income bracket. They're not earning enough to be able to contribute anything to my fees, but they're earning just over the limit to qualify for a grant. I've sent CVs everywhere for a summer job, but there are no jobs available anywhere.

I feel like a loser and if I can't deal with a stupid set of exams I don't know how I'm going to deal with anything in life. I just don't see the point to anything anymore.

I've ranted for longer than I intended to, so I will just wrap things up now. I suppose I was just wondering how do people deal with anxiety about exams? Is it too late to start cramming now?

The solution is to not give a **** by giving a ****. Who cares if you try then fail? I mean it probably won't happen but if it does you have only proved a point to yourself, just go study for 4 more weeks. I guarantee that although you may think its a waste of time, it isn't believe me. I had the same problem for a while then I realised that I really have nothing better to do over the next 4 weeks anyway then open a book and memorise some words. Just take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Trust me, you will feel like a proper hopeless loser if you get those results and see that you failed badly without trying. You're ashamed of trying your best, which means you'll never be the best you can be. Everyone's failed before in their lives and the majority of people learn greatly from this and become and even better and stronger person. The exams are tough too, there's no denying that. They might be the toughest set of exams in your life, but you're nearly finished the process. Just do whatever you can study-wise for the rest of school year and try to improve day by day.

As for your income situation, don't worry about it. Keep trying in your exams. If worst comes to worst, you may have to delay college for another year and get a full-time job for the year, yet your Leaving Cert grades are still valuable too you. They can help in the employment process and if you fail this year you really don't want to go through 6th year again and asking the same questions you're asking yourself now. And for the whole year you will be cursing yourself, wondering why you didn't put the work in in the first place.

You don't even have to tell anyone your trying really hard, you could just keep it to yourself. But to be perfectly honest, I'd hold someone who has tried then failed in a higher regard than someone who has passed without trying, the one who passed is just going to stumble at a bigger stage further on in their life, whereas the one who failed will learn from what he did and exceed the following year and thereafter.

So yeah you better get your f*****g a**e off boards and get down to study :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Copper Nikus.

Thanks. I suppose I have exactly a month left until the exams actually start, so I'm sure I'll be able to cram a lot in by then. I was feeling a bit dejected after the first part of my art practical went horribly wrong, but I've calmed down a bit now. :) I just need to stop thinking about studying and actually start studying instead. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

Fags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Fags.

Kindly go f*ck yourself.

• Advertisement

Prodigious wrote: »
    Kindly go f*ck yourself.

For smoking fags..?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If either of you post personal abuse (even in a passive fashion) again, you will be banned. Read the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

There is still time to prepare. Make a plan and stick to it. Do your best and you will not regret it. Dont think about things you cant control or things too far into the future. Mind your health and as best as you can get through the next 6/7 weeks. All will be well if you make your best effort.

For smoking fags..?

Your post looked like you were labelling the previous posters fags.

Your post looked like you were labelling the previous posters fags.

I wasn't.

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

Fair enough.

A misunderstanding and an infraction later, i think its important that we all remain friends! Apart from smoking, I think its important to look back over the year and at the work you've done thus far. Chances are you've made progress since September and again since the mocks and to halt that progress now with worry, just because what you've been working towards is now approaching, would be wasteful! It doesn't mean you should panic, look forward to it! Nevertheless there is still plenty of time to improve on where you are now, make it count and you'll most likely be glad in august!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Fags.

Don't know why you got an infraction for this. I thought it was fairly obvious you were referring to cigarettes.

Don't know why you got an infraction for this.

It looked like he was calling all the others fags.

Don't know why you got an infraction for this. I thought it was fairly obvious you were referring to cigarettes.

I was going to appeal it but I'm not really pushed, I've no business offending people so doubt it matters going forward..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

OP, you said u can't get a summer job because there are none out there. What makes you think you will get a permanent job with no qualifications let alone completing the leaving cert?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

That's an excellent question OP. I've often always brought this conversation up with my friends too, it seems like everyone in my year group assumes I'm some wizard who scores A1's with little or no work but yet they don't realize how stressful and mentally painful it is achieving them. I'll just be brief and tell you some things that I do that help me immensely, both to keep my concentration to study during school and even during the summer (which I do every year and it's coming up soon!)

GYM and exercise
    : Probably the most valuable asset to my name. I absolutely swear by it, what better way to get you mind off things by pumping some iron in the gym or having an intense sprint, lifting up your shirt and seeing them nice toned abs. Honestly it motivates you even more knowing your in a healthy state of mind both in a cardiovascular/body health sense and in a mental one. Just try it, or even if you're a bit skint on the €, then just put on some running shoes, pair of shorts and a loose top and run for a good 60 minutes (depending on your fitness level maybe less) and also there was a study done that working out releases "feel-good" hormones thus fighting anxiety.

Making love and women: Okay this is a bit of a touchy subject (no pun intended lol) and although most people here are probably too young to get into all that, if it a case that you have a girlfriend then I'm sure you're already well familiar with how to relieve some anxiety in this manner and if you don't well then don't worry too much about it but I do know that a scientific report published awhile ago said that sex and even as far as a physical encounter with a woman releases "feel-good" hormones thus ultimately combating stress and anxiety again and in combination with the gym this is a perfect recipe.

I could honestly be here all day there's so many other ways for a student to unwind but they're my main two, I'll post some more later, gotta go study!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Someone make me a plan 3(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Colinoneill

yournerd wrote: »
    Someone make me a plan 3(

Adderall

Advertisement