Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Chelsea match thread. 5/5/13 k.o 4pm Sky.

• 04-05-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

........Premiership_trophy.ashxPre+Match+-+EPL+-+Man+Utd+v.+Chelsea+-+18-09-11%255B%2528000343%252916-28-11%255D.JPGPremiership_trophy.ashx

..............................................................Manchester-United-v-Chels-001.jpg....................................................................

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its not often you play Chelsea and not too bothered.

Still want win after the cup defeat.

Draw though for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

chico to get on the scoresheet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wouldn't mind giving Spurs and Arsenal a helping hand into the CL spots so hope for a win.

Don't care too much though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rafa won't get the chance to add to his cv,2-1 to United.

He's at OT and even the away fans hate him:pac:
    Qzae2Ai.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Possibly a draw but I think Chelsea might win this. Greater motivation and a team in good form right now, playing some really exciting football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

0-3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Chelsea need to win to put proper cement on their Top 4 finish. A draw for Chelsea is not a horrible result either. A loss puts a huge emphasis upon Wednesday's game against Spurs.

The dream for Chelsea's next 2 games would be six points. 4 points is also a good return. Even if Chelsea lose to United then draw against Spurs, that is not the worst result. It basically leaves things "as you were" and does Arsenal a favour.

Though the fact of the matter is, Chelsea need to be winning as many games as they can.

I actually feel quietly confident that Chelsea can pull off a miracle in Old Trafford tomorrow.

A huge disadvantage for Chelsea is that United are not still involved in the FA Cup or the Champions League. That would undoubtedly have seen them rest key players, seeing as the League is done.

That all said, I can see Chelsea getting a favourable result (be that a win or a draw) despite themselves. Just once there's no repeat of the Liverpool game (Chelsea winning with RVP popping up for a 104th minute equaliser; I also don't think RVP would try to take a lump out of someone's arm).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Chelsea need the win, its like a cup final (all their remaining games are)

United have nothing to play for, cant see past a Chelsea win really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Chelsea 2-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

3-2.

kryogen wrote: »
    Chelsea need the win, its like a cup final (all their remaining games are)

United have nothing to play for, cant see past a Chelsea win really.

that said, kry... United are consummate professionals. They will not lie down. Especially not to Chelsea. And especially not to a Chelsea side being managed by a person that United fans see as Lucifer himself.

I know United have nothing to play for, but for Fergie, there is no such thing as a "nothing" game or a game where anything less than 100% is acceptable. This is what worries me.

That all being said and done, it is hard for me to look past Chelsea getting some kind of a result. They're in good form and know how big a game this is for them and how it is a "nothing" game for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Its not often you play Chelsea and not too bothered.

Still want win after the cup defeat.

Draw though for me.

2 cup defeats :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

If Spurs don't make Europe a Bale sale is more likely!

Bale to United or Bale to RM and Ronnie back!

:pac: And Nani anywhere but OT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Chelsea win. They will want it more.

I don't think I've ever seen an occasion where United fans were so "not bovvered" by a game against Chelsea! :pac: But I can understand why. It's not as if there's anything to be lost/gained from a result here.

The only thing I can say that I'm glad isn't happening today (or so I was told, I'm open to correction) is that the Premier League trophy isn't being presented today. Were that the case, United would want to have a party atmosphere in Old Trafford for when they lifted the trophy in front of the fans and would possibly have gone for it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Don't really care about the game today. Not really sure who I want to see in the top 4. Chelsea probably need to win here to go into the Spurs game with a bit if pressure off.

Can't see anything but a United win here though. Fergie will want to stuff Rafa before he goes. 2/3-0 United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Feeling good about the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

It's hard to see anything other than a Chelsea win today, the simple fact is Chelsea really need the 3 points and United....well, don't! :D

NUTZZ wrote: »
    It's hard to see anything other than a Chelsea win today, the simple fact is Chelsea really need the 3 points and United....well, don't! :D

How many times this season have Chelsea "needed" a result and come up shockingly short, though?

I would fancy Chelsea to nick a result, but I don't think United will lie down or be as easy as some are making it out.

Chelsea's defence is still very suspect and RVP is back to banging them in for fun. He had his fallow period at just the right time. And now, at the business end of things, he's back to the form he had at the beginning of the season.

• Advertisement

Chelsea had game

DazMarz wrote: »
    How many times this season have Chelsea "needed" a result and come up shockingly short, though?

I would fancy Chelsea to nick a result, but I don't think United will lie down or be as easy as some are making it out.

Chelsea's defence is still very suspect and RVP is back to banging them in for fun. He had his fallow period at just the right time. And now, at the business end of things, he's back to the form he had at the beginning of the season.

Oh I don't expect United to lie down or for it to be a stroll in the park for Chelsea, I just would expect Chelsea to win. I'd love to see United win, don't get me wrong!

Of course everyone wants to see their team win, no question. And of course, United would love to put another one over on Chelsea and Benitez.

I'm just hoping Luiz can be as imperious as he has been of late today. Another screamer from 40 yards out would be nice.

Chelsea did have game Thursday night.

United will be fresher in that sense.

Don't think Chelsea will have it their own way hence why think draw is best bet.

Of course everyone wants to see their team win, no question. And of course, United would love to put another one over on Chelsea and Benitez.

I'm just hoping Luiz can be as imperious as he has been of late today. Another screamer from 40 yards out would be nice.

I thought you were a United fan for some reason, your post makes more sense now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Chelsea rarely play well at OT.

Utd win all day long I'm afraid.

Dagnabbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

A devils double pays just over 5/1 might have to try that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Garzorico wrote: »

Dagnabbit.

they have the best record of all teams in the prem era no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Chico for a hattrick, it's becoming a specialty of his to score against them. Here's hoping it's a cracking game anywho.

• Advertisement

Open to correction, but last time Chelsea won in the League in OT was the 09/10 season?

Hopefully there can be some change to that today! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Open to correction, but last time Chelsea won in the League in OT was the 09/10 season?

Hopefully there can be some change to that today! :D

Cole goal, Macheda handball and Drogba offside goal.

Great result though. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Garzorico wrote: »

Dagnabbit.

Chelsea have a great record at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

United for the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

MUFC: Lindegaard, Rafael, Evans, Vidic, Evra, Jones, Anderson, Cleverley, Valencia, RVP, Giggs.

Chelsea :

Chelsea team for Man U: Cech, Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, David Luiz, Cole, Ramires, Lampard, Oscar, Mata, Moses, Ba.

Hazard not 100%

• Advertisement

Subs :

Turnbull, Ferreira, Cahill, Terry, Ake, Benayoun, Torres.

4 defenders :pac:

CFC: Cech; Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, David Luiz, Cole; Ramires, Lampard (c); Oscar, Mata, Moses; Ba

EDIT Gav beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Ramires and Lampard as the two 'conservative' central midfielders. This isn't going to go well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well I'm betting on Chelsea after that lineup

Not a good team for Chelsea... playing Luiz at CB again, no Hazard... not liking it

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Subs :

Turnbull, Ferreira, Cahill, Terry, Ake, Benayoun, Torres.

4 defenders :pac:

Hazard not even on the bench?!?!?!?

Hazard not even on the bench?!?!?!?

Came off against Basel and pointd at his hammy.....might not be fit enough.

I'd rather keep him for the Spurs game which is more winnable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Hazard's a huge loss. The really great player in this Chelsea side and often the difference.

Hopefully he will be back for Wednesday night or there could be trouble ahead.

Not a good team for Chelsea... playing Luiz at CB again, no Hazard... not liking it

I'd prefer if Luiz was in there with Cahill.

Ivanovic is a liability at CB IMO.

Otherwise I'm happy enough with the team,no Mikel is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Is Mikel injured too then? Lampard and Ramires are a very poor holding partnership, neither of them are really suited to the position. Why not whack Luiz in there and put Terry in? Also on the topic of FOUR defenders, why even bother? Surely it would make more sense to take some attacking even if they're a youth player, someone like Feruz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Best bench ever.

United subs: De Gea, Rio, Rooney, Chicharito, Scholes, Kagawa & Büttner.

Suppose. Keep him fit for Wednesday. Even a draw today is ok once the win arrives on Wednesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Feck off Valencia.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd prefer if Luiz was in there with Cahill.

Ivanovic is a liability at CB IMO.

Otherwise I'm happy enough with the team,no Mikel is good.

Cahill and Ivan at the back with Luiz in DM role. That'd be my preference.

Cahill and Ivan at the back with Luiz in DM role. That'd be my preference.

Yup, I'd have rather we started with Cahill but as long as we dont lose I'll be happy enough.

A win would be huge but Wednesday is the big one really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement