Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I'm inclined to agree. Not really gone on the handles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

newacc2015 wrote: »
    ... The whole kitchen was so out of style....
    Perhaps out of fashion, but style is timeless.

It wasn't to my taste, but that doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with it.

For me, the best part of the programme was Sarah having her own views on what sort of house she wanted to live in, and not yielding to Dermot. I thought she was quite funny in how she dealt with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

amdublin wrote: »
    Who wants to look at medals on their wall? An office is a perfect place for them.

Like I doubt Beyonce has all her grammys sitting in her living room. And isn't there a big joke about some Oscar winner having his Oscar in the loo.

The All Ireland medal is something special, (I think he has either a minor or U-21 as well), there's nothing wrong with putting that in a separate frame and giving it a decent spot on the wall.

I didn't get a good look, but I think a lot of those medals were a bit special. Not something to be sneezed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Can't wait for Sunday's episode :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,652 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I haven't won an All Ireland but the few trophies and medals I have meant as much to me because they cam from years of hard training.

But I wouldn't want them up on my wall. It doesn't mean they're worth less. Just that they're not in keeping with the decor of the house.

But to each his own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Red Kev wrote: »
    The All Ireland medal is something special, (I think he has either a minor or U-21 as well), there's nothing wrong with putting that in a separate frame and giving it a decent spot on the wall.

I didn't get a good look, but I think a lot of those medals were a bit special. Not something to be sneezed at.

I'm not sneezing at them or his achievements. But if it was me I still wouldn't want them on my living room wall.

If he was a musician and had some record hits and had golden discs I wouldn't think they should be in the living room.

I am not taking away from any of his achievements, in fact I think a dedicated room I. E. His office is the perfect place for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Probably training his whole life in a very hurling proud county and then to reach the pinnacle of the sport and walk away with gold.
    Me thinks he'd like it shown off. But it's probably only important to him so that's why it's hidden away in a pokey little office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I think it should be given greater pride of place - maybe a hallway, where others can see it.

Eyepatch wrote: »
    I think it should be given greater pride of place - maybe a hallway, where others can see it.

In the hall? Are you mad, she'd kill him!!

• Advertisement

???

The hallway is no place for medals. Or for religious pictures.
    Etc.

Who wants to look at medals in their hallway every single day just so a random caller every now and again can see them.

Seriously, look around your living room or hallway would you really like some medals on the wall? Or a golden disc. Or an Oscar. Or whatever.

Imo the office is a perfect area.

???

Who wants to look at medals in their hallway every single day

Maybe somebody who got up off their arse and trained most of the first 30 years of their life to win those medals.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Maybe somebody who got up off their arse and trained most of the first 30 years of their life to win those medals.

Do you think someone who worked for 30 years and who's found a cure for a disease puts something in their hallway to remind them of this every day?

I'm not saying the medal is not an achievement. But I am saying I don't think it needs to form a part of someone's interior design plan.

He didn't seem overly bothered that they weren't in the sitting room, hallway etc.

There's far too much being made of it, to be honest. Maybe there are photos somewhere. He has his medal and memories.

Do you think someone who worked for 30 years and who's found a cure for a disease puts something in their hallway to remind them of this every day?

Hallway or sitting room. Yep, I would

He didn't seem overly bothered that they weren't in the sitting room, hallway etc.

Well he's hardly gonna compain on national tv. I'd say she'd bloody kill him

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Well he's hardly gonna compain on national tv. I'd say she'd bloody kill him

So you're judging both of them based on some well edited pieces of tv? Right so Ted

Not complaining and not being happy about something are different. He didn't seem like he was biting his tongue.

Anyhoo horses for courses. Up to each individual I guess!

Mod:
    (Myself included) we might leave the discussion about the medals there and get back on topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭goochy

Watched the repeat of this yesterday. Anyone else find Sarah a bit of a control freak and annoying ? The partner/ boyfriend seemed very easy going and probably just puts up with it as she's easy on the eye !

goochy wrote: »
    Watched the repeat of this yesterday. Anyone else find Sarah a bit of a control freak and annoying ? The partner/ boyfriend seemed very easy going and probably just puts up with it as she's easy on the eye !
    Ehhhhhhhh yes

• Advertisement

Definitely !

Never commented on this thread before ....but I was watching it the other night and I just thought Oh My God she is just saying this for the sake of saying it , not because she's thought about Dermot's option or considered other opinions. It was her way or none. Considering it was originally the family home and mom was still living there I was surprised at her attitude !!

Yeah, I'd say he just spent the last 11 years putting up with her cos she's easy on the eye.

It's rate people have no opinions on what Deelrmot suggests. It just seems to be a problem this time for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭goochy

I am a single guy and it's Valentine's day. When I see women like this makes me wonder should I stay single !
    The worrying thing is women like this seem to be the norm. Nowadays!

What where they thinking of spending all that money to make a house with separate living areas?
    Young couple should have built their own place . Granny sell house and move to smaller one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I think people are reading too much into the programme.

It's edited to produce a big brother like reality show experience.

In reality, aspects of peoples personalities are highlighted to produce a predetermined result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

It's the house she has to live in and its her money so she has a right to get what she wants.Architects are not gods to be obeyed.
    What struck me is the high cost of building in Ireland now and I think a lot is down to the 23% vat rate. The UK government proved in a recent competition that houses could be built for 50k using slightly unconventional materials.
    Time for some more imaginative design ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

recipio wrote: »
    It's the house she has to live in and its her money so she has a right to get what she wants.Architects are not gods to be obeyed.
    What struck me is the high cost of building in Ireland now and I think a lot is down to the 23% vat rate. The UK government proved in a recent competition that houses could be built for 50k using slightly unconventional materials.
    Time for some more imaginative design ?

Imaginative design exists in Ireland, it's just that developers, architects and builders prefer to stick with what they know...concrete blocks, cavity insulation and plasterboard. There's little or no initiative for low energy sustainable housing, any initiative is usually through EU legislation as the construction lobby oppose anything that hits their profits.

You can build a good, NZEB (near zero energy building) for the same cost as a typical build, but you save a fortune on energy over its lifetime.

It's worth going to the NZEB open days in Novemeber to see whats going on.

http://www.nzeb-opendoors.ie/

The houses can look very standard too..
    http://energyaction.ie/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/NZEB-brochure.pdf.pdf

Here's an example of prices for new build, about the same as what we build now. http://www.scanhome.ie/archive/pricelist/Pricelist%201%20Jan%202014%20Ireland%20incl%20VAT.pdf

For a budget of €200,000 they should have ripped the house down (though it may be painful to the mother) and done a complete new build, with a granny flat for herself, they'd get a far more efficient house that would be cheaper in the long run.

There's little or no emphasis on sustainable building or low energy in Dermot's houses, many of them cost a small fortune to run. Last weeks had air source heat pumps, a sensible option, but this seems to be the exception for Dermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

I must say I would probably come across as the world's biggest bitch on that thing. I have an idea um my head and I won't change or for just anyone. He would annoy me. After all its me who has to live in the house for the rest of my life. Not him!!! I don't care if he don't like x,y and z. My house my home my way my rules!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

trixychic wrote: »
    I must say I would probably come across as the world's biggest bitch on that thing. I have an idea um my head and I won't change or for just anyone. He would annoy me. After all its me who has to live in the house for the rest of my life. Not him!!! I don't care if he don't like x,y and z. My house my home my way my rules!!!!

Dermot seems to push a relentlessly modern agenda on to people that are intrinsically, well, conservative.He could give us a few more details about the energy ratings in his designs.
    However, Sarah opted for a glossy white kitchen so she had already won the battle. I just think that the conventional route is also the most expensive route.;)

trixychic wrote: »

Why bother getting an architect then, you could just get a draftsman to draw up the plans for you based on your ideas. For me the reason to go to an expert is to get their experience and expertise to make things better then I could ever imagine it. My friend has an architect designed house where she just held up her hands and let them do their job, it's an incredible house and ten million times better than what she thought she wanted and she says she finds things every day that she just goes "that's just so just clever/nice/useful/brilliant"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,375 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why bother getting an architect then, you could just get a draftsman to draw up the plans for you based on your ideas.

Or just get the Book Of Bungalow Plans :D

width_280

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement