Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Or just get the Book Of Bungalow Plans :D

width_280

:D

Or the Irish version Bungalow Bliss :D

http://archiseek.com/2011/the-irish-bungalow-book/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

amdublin wrote: »
    Why bother getting an architect then, you could just get a draftsman to draw up the plans for you based on your ideas. For me the reason to go to an expert is to get their experience and expertise to make things better then I could ever imagine it. My friend has an architect designed house where she just held up her hands and let them do their job, it's an incredible house and ten million times better than what she thought she wanted and she says she finds things every day that she just goes "that's just so just clever/nice/useful/brilliant"

Your friend had a very good architect by the sound of it. That's the difference.

There's a fine line between the architect giving their opinion and just not respecting the wishes of the customer. This is what Dermot fails to do on a regular basis IMO.

My neighbours built a house, they had three huge arguments with the architect on three issues. They got their way all three times. Two of them they are glad they did put their foot down, the architect was wrong. The other decision they agree that he was right, but they are happy that they made the decision and they are prepared to take responsibility for it.

The main point though is that they got their way, after all the architect wasn't going to live in the house.

I hear ya! And that is why I wouldn't go with Dermot Bannon :pac: That and I am not mad on his (one) design which he uses for every house.

But these people on tv - they know what he does and what he is like. They hire him. And then they try change him to what they like*

*And to be fair what they like is outdated, a bit "hickey", and ORDINARY.

Imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Dermot can design a house for me anytime ;) doesn't mean I'll build it but he can impress me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

I hear ya! And that is why I wouldn't go with Dermot Bannon :pac: That and I am not mad on his (one) design which he uses for every house.

But these people on tv - they know what he does and what he is like. They hire him. And then they try change him to what they like*

*And to be fair what they like is outdated, a bit "hickey", and ORDINARY.

Imo.

I do believe that Dermot's taste is also very dated and will be outdated within 10 years though. For example, when it comes to house design, grey is the new magnolia: Dermot Bannon pushes for grey everywhere. I am ready to bet, that when magnolia was in, he would have pushed magnolia on every customer.

Same with the sunken in living rooms. He seems to have discovered them few programmes ago and now puts them in about every house whether they make sense or not. In the last one, I think it didn't look nice at all as the sunken space was so tiny it looked like the sofas were squashed in it.

That said, I might not think that Dermot is a good architect but I won't miss any of his programmes :D (I am a sucker for any kind of "makeover" programme). I am in fact disappointed that there is only 3 houses done this season :(

• Advertisement

3 houses as in only 3 episodes????!!!! :eek:

awanderer wrote: »
    I do believe that Dermot's taste is also very dated and will be outdated within 10 years though. For example, when it comes to house design, grey is the new magnolia: Dermot Bannon pushes for grey everywhere. I am ready to bet, that when magnolia was in, he would have pushed magnolia on every customer.

Same with the sunken in living rooms. He seems to have discovered them few programmes ago and now puts them in about every house whether they make sense or not. In the last one, I think it didn't look nice at all as the sunken space was so tiny it looked like the sofa where squashed in it.

That said, I might not think that Dermot is a good architect but I won't miss any of his programmes :D (I am a sucker for any kind of "makeover" programme). I am in fact disappointed that there is only 3 houses done this season :(

Was magnolia ever "in"? To me it was always the colour the builder painted the house for ease for handing over. Then people lived with it before changing to their own colours.

I will always watch any makeover program too :)

3 houses and 1 revisited so 4 episodes. That is what I read somewhere anyway :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,652 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

For all my reservations about Dermot, I have to admit that I was impressed by him on the Late Late Show.

Maybe it's just because I never heard an architect speak about planning etc but I completely agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,375 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like 4 and a revisit...
    Featuring a diverse mix of renovations, rescues and extensions, the series includes the creation of an ergonomic & welcoming ultra modern upside down home in Baldoyle; the rescue of a 170 year old house in Maynooth on the verge of collapse; the renovation of a 1960s bungalow in Puckaun, Co. Tippeary; the addition of a radical modern living extension built around a concrete wall to a 1930s Victorian house in Drogheda; and for the first time ever Dermot revisits some of the unique houses & homeowners from previous series.

Five diverse episodes - one headstrong architect. Still - there's always Room To Improve.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/roomtoimprove/

• Advertisement

Was magnolia ever "in"? To me it was always the colour the builder painted the house for ease for handing over. Then people lived with it before changing to their own colours.

I will always watch any makeover program too :)

I am quite sure that magnolia was what grey is: a neutral color that was the perfect neutral backdrop for any accent colour. Give it a decade or two and another colour will be used everywhere for exactly the same reason (it seems that for houses contrary to "clothes" fashion, a season last a decade or two).

I do not know why I like makeovers so much! I am unable to resist anything that has a "before" and "after" in it.

Looks like 4 and a revisit...

http://www.rte.ie/tv/roomtoimprove/

According to businesspost.ie it is 3 houses and 1 revisited (unable to link to it but if you google "room to improve: integrating granny" you'll find it). I guess RTE knows better though. Glad there is one more :) .

For all my reservations about Dermot, I have to admit that I was impressed by him on the Late Late Show.

Maybe it's just because I never heard an architect speak about planning etc but I completely agreed.

Was that the last Late Late show? What did he speak about exactly? Was he at the beginning or at the end of the LLS? ( I would just like to know if it is worth trying to watch it on RTE player)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

My Bingo shout for tonight....

Client: Our budget is A, with B for contingency.

(3 weeks later)

Dermot (very excitedly): OK, I've this design which comes in at A+B+C+D !

M

I prefer these houses where there's no personal attachment to them for the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

:D

Or the Irish version Bungalow Bliss :D

http://archiseek.com/2011/the-irish-bungalow-book/

The authors son is design my new house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I fcuking love this house !

I can't wait to see what he's gonna do with this house :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

The authors son is design my new house

Best of luck with the build :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is she just his friend not partner? Missed the start sorry...

• Advertisement
    M

Lots of ivy growing outside of the house, first thing I would do is purchase agent orange and spray the lot of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

"The back is where the problem is at"

I wonder could dermot come up with some sort of an extension perhaps with large glass sliding doors where you bring the outside in....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Steps down to living area again ...that's a surprise

M

I like when he goes to the trouble of making the fancy models, I'd want to keep that for myself to put on the mantelpiece if it was my house he was building.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

They don't sound very Draw-eh-deh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Finally one in my hometown this season. Baldoyle :)

mfceiling wrote: »
    "The back is where the problem is at"

I wonder could dermot come up with some sort of an extension perhaps with large glass sliding doors where you bring the outside in....

Done :D

M

The first fancy truck we have had I think.

What a clean lorry :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I've worked for darragh the builder before. Such a nice lad!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement