Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

goochy wrote: »
    Seems to be in nice part of drogheda but seems pricey for condition it's in. Think girlfriend likes dermot . Keeps kissing him !

We live near enough to this and we were getting an extension at the same time this build started last year, our builder knew theirs and had said there was going to be a fortune spent on it, so meant to watch this tonight but had visitors:mad:, will have to watch it on the player.

It is the nice part of Drogheda, BUT - it's on the main road in and out and is so, so busy with traffic, night and day, it's maybe 200metres from a Glanbia depot too so plenty of trucks rumbling by. It's not set back all that far from the road so I'd imagine that even with the best glazing, it's fairly noisy, and would ruin the use of the garden. I've walked up and down the road a few times and you have to shout if you're on the phone, it's that noisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Yeah - my bad, wife only watching now on rte +1 and as i walk in the show heads to an ad break.
    And who is it, none other then Rachel and Steve, or was it Steve and Rachel.
    Anyway you are correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Yeah - my bad, wife only watching now on rte +1 and as i walk in the show heads to an ad break.
    And who is it, none other then Rachel and Steve, or was it Steve and Rachel.
    Anyway you are correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,652 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I definitely think the wall should have been polished.

The 190 was mostly due to client add-ons. More than just UF heating but they didn't go into detail.

I get the whole stepping down into an area delineates it but it's starting to get like it's being copied and pasted from a play book now.

And the windows. ..the horizontal lines bothered me less than the masses of wood in the corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

He was the co-pilot on a plane that went on fire in Vegas.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/girlfriend-british-airways-co-pilot-6421421

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

furiousox wrote: »
    He was the co-pilot on a plane that went on fire in Vegas.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/girlfriend-british-airways-co-pilot-6421421

Delete that link. What happens in Vegas ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Delete that link. What happens in Vegas ........

Maybe you're right.
    Going there in November for my 50th. :D

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Charlie19 wrote: »
    190K is an awful lot of money for basically a new kitchen and a conservatory.

Fully insulated , underfloor heating , all windows replaced, house retired, extension, new bathrooms , not a bad price

Autosport wrote: »
    Next weeks looks good, I wonder why the builders weren't allowed on site

Looks like the place had no foundations

Bobsammy wrote: »
    I can't see what all the fuss was about the windows. They look exactly the same to me.

Much smaller frame looks better,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

You'd wonder is there a setup for effect - a feisty woman that's not pleased, with a fairly laid-back or better still, absent, man. I wonder if, like CBB, they are "performing for the cameras". It's starting to wear on me.

The house itself seemed to be great bargain, to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

You'd wonder is there a setup for effect - a feisty woman that's not pleased, with a fairly laid-back or better still, absent, man. I wonder if, like CBB, they are "performing for the cameras". It's starting to wear on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ah feck..... thought I had series link set, but clearly didn't!

Anyone know if this is repeated during the week, or do I have to suffer it on the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

ted1 wrote: »
    Fully insulated , underfloor heating , all windows replaced, house retired, extension, new bathrooms , not a bad price
    Add in the 295k he paid for the house.
    That's a 490k semi D house. Not worth it in my opinion. Still very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,363 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ah feck..... thought I had series link set, but clearly didn't!

Anyone know if this is repeated during the week, or do I have to suffer it on the laptop?

Yes Saturday 3.10 pm, not sure if there's another during the week or not. The RTÉ player with the ads is a proper pain in the hole, the setup for ads should be for users outside Ireland and not for people who have already bankrolled the channel with the tv licence, the BBC doesn't do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

That is a bonkers price for Drogheda. There is no way he will get his money back on that if he wanted to sell. The bedrooms upstairs looked small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

We live near enough to this and we were getting an extension at the same time this build started last year, our builder knew theirs and had said there was going to be a fortune spent on it, so meant to watch this tonight but had visitors:mad:, will have to watch it on the player.

It is the nice part of Drogheda, BUT - it's on the main road in and out and is so, so busy with traffic, night and day, it's maybe 200metres from a Glanbia depot too so plenty of trucks rumbling by. It's not set back all that far from the road so I'd imagine that even with the best glazing, it's fairly noisy, and would ruin the use of the garden. I've walked up and down the road a few times and you have to shout if you're on the phone, it's that noisy.

Meh being on a main road like that wouldn't bother me at all.

Part of it depends on where you're from/what you're used to. If you were from a quiet part of the country it might feel noisy to you. If you were from drogheda town it might not.

As a matter of interest where are they from? Is he drogheda originally?? She seemed to be from the north judging by her accent.

amdublin wrote: »
    Meh being on a main road like that wouldn't bother me at all.

Part of it depends on where you're from/what you're used to. If you were from a quiet part of the country it might feel noisy to you. If you were from drogheda town it might not.

As a matter of interest where are they from? Is he drogheda originally?? She seemed to be from the north judging by her accent.

I grew up on a main road! But honestly, you have to stand on this road to understand just how busy it is. In the house will probably be ok, but it would really effect the garden usage.

He's from Bellewstown, which is maybe 10k south of Drogheda but is a quiet village type place (except when the races are on) You wouldn't have a Drawwda accent from Bellewstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I thought last night's episode was a disappointment in comparison to the previous weeks show.

I thought the concrete wall was too big a focus for the episode.

Very surprised at how much input the pilot gave his girlfriend of a few months. Each to their own of course.

I do wonder that although Dermot is obviously making money from the show is it making people less likely to choose him as their architect? (needless to say you would probably need deep pockets). You would want an architect to challenge your opinions on what you want and broaden your horizons but I think he takes it too far, pretty much disregarding his clients basic requirements (last episodes with the mother wanting her room in a certain part of the house). This season too it seems that the show is also poking fun at him, portraying him for want of a better word as a bit ditzy and getting some deprecating comments on him from the likes of the QS etc.

I would love to meet someone that has used him as an architect outside of this show and find out is he very different in those circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,753 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Some people need their heads examined.
    In the hole for a half million for that. Crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Even though there was a lot of work put into it and very nice it is, itwill be insteresting to see if over the next year or two will it go up for sale, I must keep an eye as i live a 10 mins walk from it

Millem wrote: »
    That is a bonkers price for Drogheda. There is no way he will get his money back on that if he wanted to sell. The bedrooms upstairs looked small.

The bedrooms are small. And no storage to speak of. As nice as a bedroom without wardrobes looks, it's hugely impractical, and if they ever have kids they'll know all about it.

I don't think it's great value for money either. At the end of the day it's a semi-d in Drogheda, on a busy main road. Not exactly something I would like to spend half a million on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

12734096_1081261908572624_7462000947669412487_n.jpg?oh=243dd922c87f4fa0661a1cf99748b9aa&oe=572CD223

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

The bedrooms are small. And no storage to speak of. As nice as a bedroom without wardrobes looks, it's hugely impractical, and if they ever have kids they'll know all about it.

I don't think it's great value for money either. At the end of the day it's a semi-d in Drogheda, on a busy main road. Not exactly something I would like to spend half a million on.

I am guessing it's on the Dublin road? Traffic on that road can be dreadful and the smell off glanbia makes me want to get sick anytime I walk by it! What estate is over his back wall...Wheaton hall?
    I would not have steps downstairs either with small kids. I just can't believe they didn't add an extra bedroom? It seems to have lots of downstairs space and hardly any upstairs space? It even looked like he had two cookers! The main bedroom was small and had no wardrobes, then the room where the girlfriend had her clothes had a single bed in it, the bed itself looked small for a single.

Still though if I wanted to live in Drogheda I would live that side despite the smell and traffic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Eyepatch wrote: »

Don't forget the women also has to be an identikit blonde.

Millem wrote: »
    I am guessing it's on the Dublin road? Traffic on that road can be dreadful and the smell off glanbia makes me want to get sick anytime I walk by it! What estate is over his back wall...Wheaton hall?
    I would not have steps downstairs either with small kids. I just can't believe they didn't add an extra bedroom? It seems to have lots of downstairs space and hardly any upstairs space? It even looked like he had two cookers! The main bedroom was small and had no wardrobes, then the room where the girlfriend had her clothes had a single bed in it, the bed itself looked small for a single.

Still though if I wanted to live in Drogheda I would live that side despite the smell and traffic!!

Yep, it's between the Bryanstown and Wheaton Hall turns so the large houses behind are Wheaton Hall. The traffic is mayhem, the few times I've walked up that road it is just insanely noisy, and just up from Glanbia.

I would be the same re the steps, I get that it separates the living room and kitchen, but it would be a disaster with kids - it's not like it's a corridor that you could even stairgate off. If they do stay together and have a family they'll outgrow that house before they know it. One thing that would really annoy me about the "dressing room" was that the blinds/curtains would have to be drawn the whole time to get dressed. Otherwise you'd be flashing everybody!

It is the nicest side of Drogheda to live, we're out down the Duleek Road off Colpe Cross and it's lovely, quite close to town but still rural surrounded by farmland, and have great neighbours. It's been 10 years since I lived in Dublin and wouldn't move back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭fits

Watched last night. Wow. What a beautiful house. I do think it was a lot of money to pay for it but it is an absolutely beautiful building.

Thought Dermot did a good job. I didnt get the wall at all either until I saw the finished product and yep thought it would have looked better in the rougher finish. Shame they didnt focus more on other aspects of the build too.

Love the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I thought there was far too much focus of the show on the concrete wall and the windows either side of it - they made such a big deal out of it. And the fact that he was a pilot and he was flying here, there and everywhere! We just got a glimpse of them putting in underfloor heating. Little or no input into the restoration works - although they are probably not exciting tv viewing. Little or no viewing as to what they did upstairs, apart from herself not getting a walk in wardrobe, could they not have put the dressing room at the back of the house for more privacy.
    I have to say fair play to the girl for overseeing the project while the guy was away - I can't imagine it would be easy to oversee the renovations of a house which is your boyfriend's house, not yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I loved the house, I thought it had some really nice features, and the new part of the build accentuated the original house. I thought The Wall actually looked great in the end. We were watching thinking it would have looked really good in our own house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

It always amazes me that Dermot never foots the bill for any of his mistakes. It's nearly always the client, builder or trade that cover the costs.

The concrete wall was a disaster and looked nothing like the wall he showed at the beginning where you could see some pebbles coming through the concrete. I'm 100% certain they'll paint it, that's if they haven't already done so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement