Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It always amazes me that Dermot never foots the bill for any of his mistakes. It's nearly always the client, builder or trade that cover the costs.
    I think Dermot said that he would have to bear the cost of the doors-as-windows error. Perhaps that is why he fought so hard to retain them.
    The concrete wall was a disaster and looked nothing like the wall he showed at the beginning where you could see some pebbles coming through the concrete. I'm 100% certain they'll paint it, that's if they haven't already done so.
    I'm getting the feeling that nobody liked the concrete wall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

fits wrote: »
    Watched last night. Wow. What a beautiful house. I do think it was a lot of money to pay for it but it is an absolutely beautiful building.

Thought Dermot did a good job. I didnt get the wall at all either until I saw the finished product and yep thought it would have looked better in the rougher finish. Shame they didnt focus more on other aspects of the build too.

Love the show.

I have an idea! They could always clad that wall with a stone cladding. That's very popular these days and can look lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Seems like in all of these TV "makeover shows", you must have a "partner" to partake in the show. You can't go on as a single person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭furiousox

kippy wrote: »
    Some people need their heads examined.
    In the hole for a half million for that. Crazy.

It's within walking distance of Ireland's finest restaurant, "The Eastern Seaboard"!
    That adds an extra 100k to the value. :pac:

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

a place is worth as much as someone wants it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

These open plans that everyone wants, when you cook/fry do ya not stink the whole place out of it??

I'd imagine you'd be painting/redoing the whole thing every 3 years, PITA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,455 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've an issue with Dermots concrete wall.
    I think these kind of features work where the structure defines it. For example if a concrete Panel was required there for continuity of reinforcement from foundation for some reason, I'd say great idea to make a feature of it.
    Bringing a concrete panel in there for no reason doesn't work imo.
    For example dermot was dead right in one of the other houses where he wanted to leave a steel column exposed - it had reason to be there and plaster boarding it made it look like a too slim bit of blockwork whereas a steel it looked right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

How on earth did they spend €190k? Could anybody explain? It seems to be a shocking price for what the finished house was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,162 ✭✭✭✭Penn

mickdw wrote: »
    I've an issue with Dermots concrete wall.
    I think these kind of features work where the structure defines it. For example if a concrete Panel was required there for continuity of reinforcement from foundation for some reason, I'd say great idea to make a feature of it.
    Bringing a concrete panel in there for no reason doesn't work imo.
    For example dermot was dead right in one of the other houses where he wanted to leave a steel column exposed - it had reason to be there and plaster boarding it made it look like a too slim bit of blockwork whereas a steel it looked right.

The issue is it's a TV show, and it's Dermot's job to bring something new and interesting to each project, not because the clients want it, but because it's on TV.

As he could do very little in terms of the actual design of the extension or most of the interior due to the budget and the existing house, he had to do something architecturally different, and in this case it was putting in a concrete wall that nobody wanted.

To be honest, it's what I dislike about the show. That's not how it works in reality. Architects don't push people into accepting things like that if they don't want them, whereas Dermot has to because it's going to be on telly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

tinkerbell wrote: »
    How on earth did they spend €190k? Could anybody explain? It seems to be a shocking price for what the finished house was.

The windows at the front are expensive, I think there's only two UK companies who supply them.

The fit and finish is top, there's actually a lot of unseen hours gone into getting some of that house looking like it did.

But 190K seems a bit rich to me. Also, a someone else said, it's going to get small quick if a couple of kids are growing up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

have to say i thought Patricia power's oversight on the electrics in an old house and Dermot Bannon's oversight on the window and concrete wall is typical of poor project management and cost control. What % contingency are they working to on these non-green field projects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Reminds me of that cock-up with the landing window that never was in the last series, I would not hire him in month of Sunday's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Fiskar wrote: »
    have to say i thought Patricia power's oversight on the electrics in an old house and Dermot Bannon's oversight on the window and concrete wall is typical of poor project management and cost control. What % contingency are they working to on these non-green field projects?

The electrics in a house that age should have been a given that needed to be done from new, but 3k wasn't bad for the job after , I presume the builder had a reasonable PC sum in to cover a fair chunk of it already
    The concrete wall was a waste of money , he could have built the wall as a normal cavity block and made a feature of it out of plaster if he wanted alot cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Having completely renovated a 1930s house, I can see how it could cost that much. Their house is bigger than mine. We had to get new plumbing, electrics, insulation, roof, all that jazz. It all adds up without actually seeing any physical difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Would you not build a decent size house (200 sq Meters) for just over 200k eur? Or I am being delusional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Galego wrote: »
    Would you not build a decent size house (200 sq Meters) for just over 200k eur? Or I am being delusional?

I'm sure you would, but if you have to work within the footprint (more or less) of the building that already exists, then I guess you can't do it for the same cost. Especially when there are restoration considerations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Red Kev wrote: »
    The windows at the front are expensive, I think there's only two UK companies who supply them.

The fit and finish is top, there's actually a lot of unseen hours gone into getting some of that house looking like it did.

But 190K seems a bit rich to me. Also, a someone else said, it's going to get small quick if a couple of kids are growing up there.

My MIL lives in a similar style house except much bigger. She is getting her windows done at the mo....front only and 2 at the bedroom windows at the back, old stained glass put in and new composite front door, again with the old stained glass. It is costing €13k including any grants. I think she said it is triple glazed.
    It is a company in Dublin but don't know the name.

She already has new Windows on the back as she has extended it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,162 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Galego wrote: »

Build cost only, maybe, but it'd be tight. 200k wouldn't also cover land cost, planning fees, development levies, professional fees.

You're generally looking at €1200 per sq.m (€110 per sq.ft).

As for them not copping the electrics needed upgrading, they mentioned how the sockets and fixings looked new so they thought the house had been rewired, but I can't remember if they mentioned the fuseboard. If the fuseboard had been changed its fair enough that they didn't know the house still needed to be rewired, but it wouldn't make sense the fuseboard being changed without rewiring too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Looks like 4 and a revisit...

Featuring a diverse mix of renovations, rescues and extensions, the series includes the creation of an ergonomic & welcoming ultra modern upside down home in Baldoyle; the rescue of a 170 year old house in Maynooth on the verge of collapse; the renovation of a 1960s bungalow in Puckaun, Co. Tippeary; the addition of a radical modern living extension built around a concrete wall to a 1930s Victorian house in Drogheda; and for the first time ever Dermot revisits some of the unique houses & homeowners from previous series.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/roomtoimprove/

Gawd almighty, who writes these things??? WTF is a 1930's Victorian house :confused:

Thought the house was really beautiful, the detailing in the original rooms was amazing, and to find it all still intact is fairly unusual.

I thought the boxy extensions looked odd from the outside, frankly - although if they weather down a bit they might blend in a bit better.

I thought the wooden window/door frames in the sitting room/den were AWFUL! Chunky, clunky, appalling. My jury is still out as to whether it was better to change the one they did, change them both (as she seemed to want to), or just leave them to hell. They were awful in any case. Maybe it was down to budget, but surely some clean-lined alu-clad, would have been a much better fit? And I had to laugh at the wooden room that Dermot brought them to to compare - those windows were NOTHING like what he'd got for their room!

And that concrete wall.... no, no, no. Just no. Didn't like it in their room, didn't like it in the house he brought them to, didn't like it at all. Like yer man, I think I get what Dermot was trying to do - but if that was really his end aim, then he'd have been taking it out if it was my decision!

And again it may be down to budget (it was a fairly hefty final price he paid for the house!) but while they were at it I'm surprised they didn't extend upstairs a bit - they've wound up with a huge, very nice downstairs, and fairly basic bedrooms upstairs, a slightly unbalanced house IMO. Although I would always go for living space if push came to shove.

My verdict by the end was - very nice house, beautifully restored, but oh my goodness what a price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Whatever about paying €190K for the rebuild / renovation, how in the name of all that is holy did he pay €295K for the house originally.
    Also I thought the finish outside was very poor, looked like top soil only at the back of the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭goochy

yes, it seems like a celtic tiger day price.
    no offence to Drogheda but I would expect something substantial for close to €500k there. its not a town where property would be in big demand.

How VERY dare you! :P

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Ah lads lets not have a go at the where the guy decided to live, the program is about the renovation ,extension of the property

Ah I'm only messin' with my post above.
    500k is very expensive for Drogheda these days.
    (I live in Drogheda)

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Wonder how those flat roof extensions will last in 10, 20, 30 years time? A builder once told me that pitched roofs are much better than flat. I do not know.
    Great tv anyway. Also wonder how "cosy" it would be in the glass box on an Irish winters evening with rain lashing against the windows, and being lit up like a goldfish bowl. Wish they said on the programme if it was double or triple glazed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ted1

maryishere wrote: »
    Wonder how those flat roof extensions will last in 10, 20, 30 years time? A builder once told me that pitched roofs are much better than flat. I do not know.
    Great tv anyway. Also wonder how "cosy" it would be in the glass box on an Irish winters evening with rain lashing against the windows, and being lit up like a goldfish bowl. Wish they said on the programme if it was double or triple glazed.
    A good double is better then a bad tripple. Don't be fooled by numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Watched the show last night and thought of the old joke,

How do you know a guy in a crowd is an airline pilot?

He'll tell you!

Did the film crew really have to travel to the airport every time he was working? They never spend that much time following participants to work..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭goochy

Guy seemed alright . Sure it wasn't his idea to feature airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

The credits said that the footage was provided by British Airways.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement