Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

amdublin wrote: »
    Im sorry to hear you didn't want to sell it at all. Hope you are settled in new home. I guess it might have ben sold for half of what it was worth at one point (the peak/boom). But I'm assuming it was sold for ten/twenty times it was worth at another time (30 years ago).

All true, but before the boom it was valued around 750k and at time of sale it was more, but the advice was to take what you can get. Keep in mind, thousands of pounds/euro had gone back into that house, I remember when we moved in, their was parts of floors missing, the kitchen was a small gally at best. The attic looked like something from a horror movie. Recently the house had he refitted with solid teak stairs, new doors, pantry added to the kitchen (kitchen was also an extension we added), new shed/workshop build out the back garden. So lots of money and time had gone into the house over the years.

The parents got a place in Rush, with what was left after the banks got their bit.

TBH I don't now why Sutton houses are extortionate. Howth is a much nicer place to live and houses for some reason are cheaper

It was baldoyle, not Sutton.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

though the approach was interesting wasnt impressed with the exterior work but interior was good.

More a general question, but would every architect do a scale model like dermo?

though the approach was interesting wasnt impressed with the exterior work but interior was good.

More a general question, but would every architect do a scale model like dermo?

If requested, you can have them done. Most would be able to do it but it does take time, and time is money.

For the exterior, im glad the front was left the way it was but the windows didn't seem to look right for some reason. , the back though, that just looked odd. To me, flat roofs just look cheap and on that house I looks out of character to the other houses around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

As a house, it was fine but for the design they wanted, yeah, any house would probably have been better to level and start again.

If we are talking about the money spent then from a practical emotions-aside perspective then sure it would've made more sense to start from scratch.
    But they were after that view, and that was apparent the minute they brought the camera crew through that front door, so for them any site wouldn't have ticked the box.
    Seaviews in Dublin will always command a premium so I'm not surprised they spent €470k on what was essentially a shell for their eventual plans.
    I absolutely loved what they did with it. Sitting at their kitchen table they won't have to see another car or van, and that must be a plus for them considering they had so little privacy at the front of their house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

It was baldoyle, not Sutton.

I know it was Baldoyle, I live there.
    I was responding to some one else's reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

For the exterior, im glad the front was left the way it was but the windows didn't seem to look right for some reason....
    I thought that, too.

The picture windows worked very well from the inside (with a view like that, they could hardly fail). But they broke the pattern of the exterior, and that is an aesthetic price.

There is also an issue of architectural good manners. A house should fit well with its neighbours, and that applies particularly to a semi-detached house on a road of semi-detached houses.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

recipio wrote: »
    ........of which 47,610 goes to the government in vat.:eek:

i wonder if anything is done cash in hand on the job..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Actually I'm wrong.Its only 23% of the materials cost.Still a big chunk to give away for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,455 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

........of which 47,610 goes to the government in vat.:eek:

No it doesn't.

• Advertisement

I know it was Baldoyle, I live there.
    I was responding to some one else's reply

Sorry, didn't realise. But yeah in that case, your right. Sutton manages to get top prices on the properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

mickdw wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

I've deleted my mistake. :D There must be some way around this penal tax. Buy materials in NI ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I've deleted my mistake. :D There must be some way around this penal tax. Buy materials in NI ?
    And pay UK VAT instead?

If I could afford a job like that, then I should be able to afford the VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

amdublin wrote: »
    I like this couple. They are very positive.

Pushovers I would call them, they let him have all his own way.

470 k to buy the place, another 170 k agreed price and then fork out another 17 k because there was no foundation.

And it is still wedged up against the neighbours house after it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Actually I'm wrong.Its only 23% of the materials cost.Still a big chunk to give away for nothing.

It's 13.5% on materials and labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

grouchyman wrote: »
    Must say I don't like upside down houses. Not great for the older folk or wheelchair users.

Why would you build your house to suit other people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Effects wrote: »
    Why would you build your house to suit other people?

Because you may need to sell it in a future?

Not sure how many buyers would be willing to have that lay-out.....

There is a 2 thirds rule, if labor accounts for more than 2 thirds of the material costs you can charge the lower VAT rate (dont quote me on that but I think thats how it works).

Galego wrote: »
    Because you may need to sell it in a future?

Not sure how many buyers would be willing to have that lay-out.....

As a family home with that layout.. I could not see it working (unless your kids were able to sit very quite in a corner of the room).. never mind the constant running up and down the stairs to answer the door. Shopping.. no way I would want to have to carry it up the stairs.. that's why kitchens belong downstairs lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They got the house for half price.. so they got a pretty dam good bargain is you ask me.

Did they not pay market rate ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It was worth more than that during the boom, 3 houses down the street went for well over that much after the bubble burst.

That means absolutely nothing, things are only worth what somebody is willing to pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Effects wrote: »
    It's 13.5% on materials and labour.

Can claim the Vat back now as well over three years with the home renovation scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,162 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As a family home with that layout.. I could not see it working (unless your kids were able to sit very quite in a corner of the room).. never mind the constant running up and down the stairs to answer the door. Shopping.. no way I would want to have to carry it up the stairs.. that's why kitchens belong downstairs lol

People who live in the likes of duplexes or flats across the country deal with it no problem.

I don't always agree with Dermot's designs, but moving the bedrooms downstairs and living areas upstairs was the right decision imo. Wouldn't work in a lot of houses, but definitely worked for that one.

Penn wrote: »
    People who live in the likes of duplexes or flats across the country deal with it no problem.

I don't always agree with Dermot's designs, but moving the bedrooms downstairs and living areas upstairs was the right decision imo. Wouldn't work in a lot of houses, but definitely worked for that one.

I guess it is all down to personal preferences but I would assume majority of people would rather have the living space in the ground floor.

I actually think Dermot destroyed the "decent" size attic just to create some sort of view which IMO only works with bigger houses. That attic space would have come handy to store bulky belongings or unwanted junk. But then again he only designs the houses to look pretty but not necessary to be practical! This is at nearly 800k eur. Not saying it is not a nice view but can you actually not buy anything better nearby, with similar or identical view, for that budget?

I guess it is all down to personal preferences but I would assume majority of people would rather have the living space in the ground floor.

I actually think Dermot destroyed the "decent" size attic just to create some sort of view which IMO only works with bigger houses. That attic space would have come handy to store bulky belongings or unwanted junk. But then again he only designs the houses to look pretty but not necessary to be practical! This is at nearly 800k eur. Not saying it is not a nice view but can you actually not buy anything better nearby, with similar or identical view, for that budget?

There was 3 brand new houses built a few years ago down the street, each was designed specifically for the view with large windows in the attic rooms which you can see awesome views from. The houses are also back from the road so no bother with privacy if you leave the blinds up when downstairs. I think one of them was still on the market at around 1m mark, but some haggling could have gotten that price down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,362 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There was 3 brand new houses built a few years ago down the street, each was designed specifically for the view with large windows in the attic rooms which you can see awesome views from. The houses are also back from the road so no bother with privacy if you leave the blinds up when downstairs. I think one of them was still on the market at around 1m mark, but some haggling could have gotten that price down.

Yes here's one of them, €950k...

NzM3NWY3YzMzYzcwZmU5YzgwOWY1OWY5OGI0ZDU5MjcmewYIfgAlEZCSq7xSW9Y8aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvOWIxNzdhNWIxZjMxZDNjNjRmMThhZjI3ZmU2YzE2Y2R8fHx8fHw2MDl4NDU3fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuZGFmdC5pZS9pL3dhdGVybWFya19kYWZ0LnBuZ3x8fA==.jpeg

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/baldoyle/brenthaven-40a-strand-road-baldoyle-dublin-1090214/

I would retire if I had a million eur today! :-) :-)

For someone who lived in that house, did you actually agree with work done to the attic? I mean, what was the cost of that work alone, 50k?

Where are they going to store bulky stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I would retire if I had a million eur today! :-) :-)

For someone who lived in that house, did you actually agree with work done to the attic? I mean, what was the cost of that work alone, 50k?

Where are they going to store bulky stuff?

They have three bedrooms downstairs and only need one. I'd imagine they would use one of those rooms. Equally they possibly don't have a lot of bulky items that need storage.
    Other than suitcases and Christmas decorations not much else goes in the attic in this house that can't be put in the garden shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,162 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Oh most people would absolutely prefer the living space on the ground floor. But for that house where the biggest selling point of the house for them was the view, having the living space upstairs was the right choice. As they said, most of the time the blinds upstairs are closed or down, and the view from the front window at ground level was badly hampered by the house being so close to the road at the front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

12717657_906429602808172_6893134721468750351_n.jpg?oh=072a3114089a7ffd1e59ecfb1944a5b8&oe=576CD99A

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement