Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Must be so hard for that poor kid, and the guys that take him at weekends. But fair play to them, some commitment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'm in flitters! Damn feelings !

Long may Anne Barry and Michael be gloriously happy together

Michael is just great.
    Has to be the best job Dermot has done.
    Love his little Dublin accent!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I didnt see the original of the last house. What is the back story?

A lot of people put a lot of effort into it which was very nice to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

godtabh wrote: »
    I didnt see the original of the last house. What is the back story?

A lot of people put a lot of effort into it which was very nice to see

1 or 2 pages back the full story is there godtabh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

So I guess this "looking back" programme will become a part of the show from now on. It's a cheap and quick way to make an episode.

Have to say I enjoyed it, (though I've never seen any of the original shows). It's a part of the format that I could live with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

amdublin wrote: »
    1 or 2 pages back the full story is there godtabh

Yeah just catching up. What a great story. Humanity isnt lost (just yet!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

The people in the last house are the type of people that just inspire you to become a better person.

All 3 of them are amazing.

House is nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I loved the last piece of the show...that young boy is such a dote...lovely family...loved the little water feature in the garden also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

awanderer wrote: »
    It is nice to have some light now, isn't it? Does it feel like now you have a space separate from the pub? My idea turned out to be great, didn't it? Do you like being able to enjoy the view?

Dermot has a way of asking questions that don't exactly allow multiple choices for their answer :D

+1. Room to Improve is great tv, but I wish someone would ask important questions just waiting to be asked. Why did not someone ask the occupants of these houses tonight questions like
    Anything you would do different if you were building again?
    Any problems with eg heat loss through the big windows, glare on sunny days or furniture fading? I notice they do not have curtains on the big windows...whats it like being inside at night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

tampopo wrote: »
    Anyone see the teletext, "Dermot in a Hoop laughing"?!!!

It happened alright tampopo

https://www.facebook.com/2fmofficial/photos/a.185326264814230.51474.183036655043191/1230745410272305/?type=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Is that it for the series? Was there only 4 new houses this time around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It's the recession. I don't think Dermot does projects where the budget is €58.73 from a coin jar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I think so and in my opinion was the right move. I for one am not as absolved in each episode anymore, it doesn't bother me if I just see the original build and the finish, I can guess what happened in between at this stage. Any more than four would have been saturation as far as I'm concerned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I love the show and wish it was longer but Flippyfloppy could be right in that it's better to finish with people wanting more than it reaching saturation point. I'd still love it to be on every week though :pac:

Really enjoyed the last 3 weeks episodes, that episode with the concrete wall was painful, it dominated the whole episode, was delighted to see the following episodes covered much more, bring on the next series :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Lisha wrote: »
    He lives in residential care and stays at their house for fun
    Fabulous people

I was pregnant with my daughter when that episode aired for the first time and I cried so much when watching it. The couple are fantastic, the child is only fabulous and together they are fantastically fabulous.

Now I'm pregnant again and it made me cry all over again. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Lisha wrote: »
    I suspect they have gained more joy from Michaels presence in their lives than we can imagine

I think the three of them are very lucky to have each other. Michael's life would be so much harder without them but he gives so much to them by his presence alone. Its a lovely lovely thing to watch really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I miss Duncan. He was great.

Just noticed he is on Rte tonight at seven. Totally missed this series. Might get my fix of insulation and u-values!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭pjordan

maryishere wrote: »
    +1. Room to Improve is great tv, but I wish someone would ask important questions just waiting to be asked. Why did not someone ask the occupants of these houses tonight questions like
    Anything you would do different if you were building again?
    Any problems with eg heat loss through the big windows, glare on sunny days or furniture fading? I notice they do not have curtains on the big windows...whats it like being inside at night?

Ah sure Mary all ya have to do is come on here and ask. There's at least a couple of us peep in here on occasion!

Whilst nearly 3 years on we are still very happy with our results there are some little things we would change. Details like power points and light switches for example. Also I would say our patio/outdoor room was not the way I'd hoped or envisaged it and was never really integrated into the project to the degree I'd hoped but rather came as an afterthought to the focus on the house.

We put a stove in our kitchen/living area which was a bit of a waste. But we put another in our sitting room which we use regularly and which I'd put more effort or investment in again to having it able to heat our water and some radiators. We were told by lots of people at the time that solar was a bit of a wasted investment but I still have a bit of regret in not having gone for it.

I also regret I didn't put an extra roof light into the study when we were having to refelt our roof anyway.

Absolutely no regrets whatsoever re our lack of cladding and very happy with our painted render instead.

Re our "big glass box" as some tend to describe Dermots designs, we still love it and it is a great living, family and social area. We've a little baby boy now in addition to our two girls and it's a joy to see him having the freedom and comfort to crawl and roll about lovely warm timber floors.

To those that go "but with all that glass it must be impossible to heat" on the contrary the solar gain and BER A level insulation means that on all but the coldest of days it doesn't even need any heat. Once it is heated it retains it well. We up spec'ed our windows to triple glazed as part of the forgoing of the cladding.

Any finally, 3 years on we still don't have curtains on our big windows and probably won't ever. But I suppose if one is enough of an extrovert to go on RTI I suppose you can't let the still occasional slow drive by's peering in at "that house that was on d'telly" bother you! At least now the total strangers calling in for a look seem to have stopped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thanks for the update but which house were you?

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Thanks for the update but which house were you?

Not that hard to figure out. There haven't been that many projects way from east coast or Cork. Try googling Room to Improve and Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

pjordan wrote: »
    Ah sure Mary all ya have to do is come on here and ask. There's at least a couple of us peep in here on occasion!

Whilst nearly 3 years on we are still very happy with our results there are some little things we would change. Details like power points and light switches for example. Also I would say our patio/outdoor room was not the way I'd hoped or envisaged it and was never really integrated into the project to the degree I'd hoped but rather came as an afterthought to the focus on the house.

We put a stove in our kitchen/living area which was a bit of a waste. But we put another in our sitting room which we use regularly and which I'd put more effort or investment in again to having it able to heat our water and some radiators. We were told by lots of people at the time that solar was a bit of a wasted investment but I still have a bit of regret in not having gone for it.

I also regret I didn't put an extra roof light into the study when we were having to refelt our roof anyway.

Absolutely no regrets whatsoever re our lack of cladding and very happy with our painted render instead.

Re our "big glass box" as some tend to describe Dermots designs, we still love it and it is a great living, family and social area. We've a little baby boy now in addition to our two girls and it's a joy to see him having the freedom and comfort to crawl and roll about lovely warm timber floors.

To those that go "but with all that glass it must be impossible to heat" on the contrary the solar gain and BER A level insulation means that on all but the coldest of days it doesn't even need any heat. Once it is heated it retains it well. We up spec'ed our windows to triple glazed as part of the forgoing of the cladding.

Any finally, 3 years on we still don't have curtains on our big windows and probably won't ever. But I suppose if one is enough of an extrovert to go on RTI I suppose you can't let the still occasional slow drive by's peering in at "that house that was on d'telly" bother you! At least now the total strangers calling in for a look seem to have stopped!

Few questions if you do not mind me....

1- what was there a ber test done before and after project?
    2- what sort of insulation was done in the walls and rest of the house?
    3- was there any sort of airtighness test donde at the end?
    4- was the boiler upgraded.
    5- was any of the heating (pipes, zones, thermostats, etc) upgraded.
    6- why would you now regret not putting solar panels?
    7- why not taking out the stove if it is not practical?
    8- why would you want the stove to heat water and/or radiators? Do you have acess to cheap fuel= wood or turf?
    9- how dirty does the glads get? Does the dirt show much? Is it a pain to clean it all the time?
    Do you not get much condensation in the glass while cooking etc?
    10- And last but not least....did you ever consider building from scratch?

Sorry for the interrogation...

Galego wrote: »
    Few questions if you do not mind me....

1- what was there a ber test done before and after project?
    2- what sort of insulation was done in the walls and rest of the house?
    3- was there any sort of airtighness test donde at the end?
    4- was the boiler upgraded.
    5- was any of the heating (pipes, zones, thermostats, etc) upgraded.
    6- why would you now regret not putting solar panels?
    7- why not taking out the stove if it is not practical?
    8- why would you want the stove to heat water and/or radiators? Do you have acess to cheap fuel= wood or turf?
    9- how dirty does the glads get? Does the dirt show much? Is it a pain to clean it all the time?
    Do you not get much condensation in the glass while cooking etc?
    10- And last but not least....did you ever consider building from scratch?

Sorry for the interrogation...

1. Yes BER done before and after. It's part of the grant application process. Think it was C3 prior to works and B3 after. The new extension by itself would've probably got an A but it's inevitable that an old cottage refurb is always going to drag a modern extension down in that regard.

2. Both internal dry lining (in old and new parts) plus pumped cavity bead in new. Also roof insulation doubled up in old, and roof and floor in new contained about 300mm.
    3. No, no point cos of old cottage element (near impossible to retrospectively create passive standard from an old build)
    4. Yep. Complete heating upgrade with new condensing OFCH boiler.
    5. As above, part of the grant requirement.
    6. Just like the idea of having an alternative source to oil and an element of "saving the planet"
    7. Not practical, and it's nice to have on the rare occasions we've lit it. But if we were doing it over again we'd probably leave it out.
    8. As per 6 and we have it lit most days anyway (with relatively cheap timber, turf and not so cheap coal - compared to current oil prices anyway )
    9. House full of young kids!!! I'm frequently reminded of a poem I did for leaving cert called "subh milish". Plenty of finger and palm prints on inside. Grime build up on outside but not so bad (though my wife might differ on her opinion in that regard). We clean them externally about 2-3 times a year. I hate cleaning windows!
    10. I loved the character of our old cottage and, per the program, it was always the kinda house I'd envisaged living in. A new build even one with architectural integrity never especially appealed to me. Mind you such character comes at a price premium relative to the cost of a new build. But then I guess that's what both architecture and RTI is about to an extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

pjordan wrote: »
    1. Yes BER done before and after. It's part of the grant application process. Think it was C3 prior to works and B3 after. The new extension by itself would've probably got an A but it's inevitable that an old cottage refurb is always going to drag a modern extension down in that regard.

2. Both internal dry lining (in old and new parts) plus pumped cavity bead in new. Also roof insulation doubled up in old, and roof and floor in new contained about 300mm.
    3. No, no point cos of old cottage element (near impossible to retrospectively create passive standard from an old build)
    4. Yep. Complete heating upgrade with new condensing OFCH boiler.
    5. As above, part of the grant requirement.
    6. Just like the idea of having an alternative source to oil and an element of "saving the planet"
    7. Not practical, and it's nice to have on the rare occasions we've lit it. But if we were doing it over again we'd probably leave it out.
    8. As per 6 and we have it lit most days anyway (with relatively cheap timber, turf and not so cheap coal - compared to current oil prices anyway )
    9. House full of young kids!!! I'm frequently reminded of a poem I did for leaving cert called "subh milish". Plenty of finger and palm prints on inside. Grime build up on outside but not so bad (though my wife might differ on her opinion in that regard). We clean them externally about 2-3 times a year. I hate cleaning windows!
    10. I loved the character of our old cottage and, per the program, it was always the kinda house I'd envisaged living in. A new build even one with architectural integrity never especially appealed to me. Mind you such character comes at a price premium relative to the cost of a new build. But then I guess that's what both architecture and RTI is about to an extent.

Thanks for the answers. Very useful.

Galego wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers. Very useful.

Forgot to say, condensation doesn't seem to be a major problem with triple glazing. That and if there's major cooking goin on (like the leg of lamb and trimmings today) we make ample use of the extractor hood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Tuned into RTE1 at the last second of a repeat. And preview of Michael's episode that is on next week. fwiw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did they lose the rights to certain episodes or something? They're repeating the same stuff multiple times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Thargor wrote: »
    Did they lose the rights to certain episodes or something? They're repeating the same stuff multiple times.

They used to be half an hour if I'm right perhaps they don't want to use these shows and prefer to fill hour slots although I'm not too sure. Video quality of the earlier episodes might come into play but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I presume it's a repeat? High summer, nothing else to show? I haven't seen this one. Couple, renovate his mother's house and move in with her...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

tampopo wrote: »
    I presume it's a repeat? High summer, nothing else to show? I haven't seen this one. Couple, renovate his mother's house and move in with her...

It's a repeat. I remember some drama about your man having his GAA medals on display and his mammy wanting her bedroom to be in a particular place and having no other demands and they decided to put her room elsewhere and she wasn't a happy bunny, it wasn't a very nice episode if |I remember correctly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement