Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Could never understand the appeal of the programme.

At least with Grand Designs on channel 4 there is real ambition to what is done and most of the projects have a degree of insanity to them which makes the programme interesting.

It's amazing people want to look at a show where they are just adding simple extensions on to bog standard houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dermot's XC90 changed from off-white to black since the beginning of the episode... he's grand with colour changes!!!

Looks like he has ditched the Audi A5 from last few series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

No sign of Lisa, the new Quantity Surveyor. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the house looks fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That kitchen looks like the little staff kitchen in every office Ive ever been in, totally soulless.

• Advertisement
    M

Just goes to show you what €180k can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Turned out nice in the end though, one of the better ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Looks like he has ditched the Audi A5 from last few series.

Product placement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Thargor wrote: »

They have finished/decorated it lovely..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Thargor wrote: »

ya its an amazing house. fair play to them both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Nice but just shows how expensive Dublin is that they spent 420k on the site and initial house.

600k I guess all in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Bathroom looked very nice

M

Really nice finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Lovely house, lovely couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

QS is back:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,384 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

She walks in and runs herself a bath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Wouldn't paint the number on the house that big or even on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Could never understand the appeal of the programme.

At least with Grand Designs on channel 4 there is real ambition to what is done and most of the projects have a degree of insanity to them which makes the programme interesting.

It's amazing people want to look at a show where they are just adding simple extensions on to bog standard houses.

Grand Designs is generally populated with people who have an almost endless supply of cash to do mad things. Where as room to improve is generally populated by ordinary folks with generous but limited budgets. There in lies the interest of most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Robbie and son are like twins

Yeah, definitely could be brothers, I need to moisturise more I think! 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Lovely couple! The decor in bathroom or grey kitchen wouldn't be to my taste but delighted for them, their dream comes true and all their hard work and saving has paid off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Ten Pin wrote:
    Someone like, say, Brendan Courtney would be a better host of this, no reason to have an architect as the main character.

God no. He would be painful. I think an architect is the right choice and dermot is likeable enough. Nice house in the end of it, but a lot the designs in this show are very samey samey. Something completely different would be nice now and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its people realising their dream aspect that I like, 20 years saving for your dream is some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Yes. Look like a down to earth couple who have worked their arses off to and gave up things to dave for their dream home
    ps id say he will have no problems gettig windows to clean after the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,451 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Someone like, say, Brendan Courtney would be a better host of this, no reason to have an architect as the main character.

Jesus no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

If you look at it on Google Earth, you can see it half built!

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4511032,-6.1695388,30m/data=!3m1!1e3

House is on a big site for Malahide. Probably worth close to €750,000 as it is.

Fair play to them, a very likeable, down to earth couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

just watched this - can i bounce a conspiracy theory of ye?

These two have nothing to do with the house. We already know he is an actor, so what if its just a house that someone built and they brought these two in to make a TV show on the building site.

All the drama at the start of the budget, then suddenly hes a very capable fella on a building site and a steel fabricator who can pitch in and save €€€€'s.

Then when the engineer sought certification on the steels he fabricated - after Bannon saying there was a back on forth on email yer man says, "news to me bud".

Their tours of the house they seemed very unconnected and make what i thought were odd observations for people that were involved in a house building process.

Sure - I am probably wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

The show runs to a formula, nothing surprising there I suppose

Dermot puts the plan together
    The client doesn't seem convinced
    The quantity surveyor can't make the budget come together
    The builder throws a strop
    The client doesn't like the windows/door/etc etc

All works out well in the end, usually

The builder guy and the son in this one made it worth watching ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

dpofloinn wrote: »
    Grand Designs is generally populated with people who have an almost endless supply of cash to do mad things. Where as room to improve is generally populated by ordinary folks with generous but limited budgets. There in lies the interest of most

That's exactly why it isn't interesting to me as a TV programme, there's no ambition to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Phil.x

dpofloinn wrote: »

Very generous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Each to their own, but to say it shows no ambition is very unfair. Not everyone wants to live in an architects wet dream

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement