Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thread moved to Television. Please note the change in charter.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Dermot "I went to college for six years", the client is a window cleaner, yeah, I get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,454 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That steel work ye man made up looked seriously undersized to me with plating that was also on the small size.
    Engineer rightly looked for certification for it. No way that was obtained. They didn't make much of it after the argument with Dermot but I'd imagine they were dumped and professionally designed supports installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,944 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Missed the 1st episode this week, can I just ask, did he end up building a glass box again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I was disappointed with last nights show.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭beetlebailey

Window cleaner from Darndale saves €500k for cottage and €180k to renovate?

Im definitely doing something wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Sono

Im definitely doing something wrong!

This was wrecking my head while watching it too, didn't add up whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

NIMAN wrote: »
    Missed the 1st episode this week, can I just ask, did he end up building a glass box again?

No actually

Architects want to get light into a house, unlike most Irish houses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I presume the project manager has been fired to save a few bob and then they wonder why things are running over budget and months over time

It came under budget a good bit seemingly, so ehh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Etc

The couple were very annoying, especially the husband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,777 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

...407850.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Exactly my thinking too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Exactly my thinking too!

That's €35,000 a year or €670 saved every week for 20 years. Not doable, must be of inheritance and loans in there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

That's €35,000 a year or €670 saved every week for 20 years. Not doable, must be of inheritance and loans in there too.

They said they were going to be paying it off for rest of their lives so i imagine a mortgage was used for part of it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,777 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

ainy wrote: »
    They said they were going to be paying it off for rest of their lives so i imagine a mortgage was used for part of it anyway.

I think he meant they had 'saved' enough to be able to borrow what they needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

He's a steel fabricator by trade, he mentioned it in the programme. The window cleaning is a business that he owns and which is run by his son. He also earns on the side with acting and other jobs.

She works full time so it's a double income house.

They own a house in Darndale which would be over €200,000 unless it's in a seriously bad area. If it's in the area where they filmed then it's worth near to €300,000.

One child means they could be saving €10K a year easy. He would have been on good money for 10-15 years in the boom.

So just say house is worth €250K, add €200K savings and the mortgage is less than €150,000.

Perfectly feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I was thinking the same that they had the other house to sell. And they have spent years saving too even in a time when there was a decent interest rate. Plus he wasnt afraid of hard work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I couldn't understand why they wanted 3 bedrooms if its just the 2 of them living in the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I couldn't understand why they wanted 3 bedrooms if its just the 2 of them living in the house?
    A master bedroom for themselves, a room for their son and a guest room - or probably for future grand-children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Well their son would be coming to visit and they probably felt they needed one guest bedroom that would still be available, even if he was there.

Also I think they wanted a 'statement' bedroom with dressing room, en-suite etc and Dermot's first design wasn't giving that to them, just 2 smaller bedrooms with a shared bathroom in the older (front) part of the house. As far as I remember, we didn't even get to view those 2 front bedrooms when the place was finished.

I always like to see older, empty or disused house in towns or cities renovated. That looked like a mature residential area, albeit with a busy road so it must be good for the area to have the house renovated and the site cleared up.

I didn't like the giant 36 on the wall and I'm not a fan of all wood and white/ grey stuff but each to their own.

Bear in mind too , the show is edited to keep it 'interesting' . I am sure some of the conversations are so, so boring during a renovation. Also the Planning Dept have the final say in what they can and cannot build, even though we didn't get any insight into that side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I would imagine a bedroom for the son when he visited and also a guest room. Spare bedroom may double as an office as he is self-employed. But my first thought when they insisted on 3-bed was for resale value, it would be a lot easier to sell the house in 10/15 years time as a 3-bed rather than a 2-bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Radio5 wrote: »
    As far as I remember, we didn't even get to view those 2 front bedrooms when the place was finished.

Noticed that too. I imagine that like the garden they may not have had the money to fully finish those rooms so they were left out of the final show.

Personally, I don't like bedrooms at the front of a house. Would much prefer livingroom and, if needs must, then one bedroom to front. I like to be able to sit looking out at the comings and goings on the road, from my front living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭beetlebailey

Red Kev wrote: »
    He's a steel fabricator by trade, he mentioned it in the programme. The window cleaning is a business that he owns and which is run by his son. He also earns on the side with acting and other jobs.

She works full time so it's a double income house.

They own a house in Darndale which would be over €200,000 unless it's in a seriously bad area. If it's in the area where they filmed then it's worth near to €300,000.

One child means they could be saving €10K a year easy. He would have been on good money for 10-15 years in the boom.

So just say house is worth €250K, add €200K savings and the mortgage is less than €150,000.

Perfectly feasible.

Fair enough , I understood that he was for a time a steel fabricator and is now a window cleaner, not that he did both.
    I would think a house in darndale would be more like €150k rather than €250k

Anyway they ended up with a pretty nice place in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Really enjoyed this episode, what a lovely couple and gorgeous house. Amazing what they got for their budget!

They did show one of the bedrooms in the old house and the bathroom in the reveal, think it was shown just after Dermot arrived in the finished house. I wonder did the downstairs bathroom have a utility room to the side, I didn't see any washing machine in the kitchen.

Fab house anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Fair enough , I understood that he was for a time a steel fabricator and is now a window cleaner, not that he did both.
    I would think a house in darndale would be more like €150k rather than €250k

Anyway they ended up with a pretty nice place in the end.

Yes, he is now a window cleaner, used to be a steel fabricator. The son is 21 and lives in the US.

The son is gorgeous and possibly coud be another Colin Farrell, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Eyepatch wrote: »
    The son is gorgeous and possibly coud be another Colin Farrell, IMO.

Seriously?

He'd want to lose the man bun first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Didn't think last night episode was great, it felt like more time was spent telling us their life story rather than showing the actual work being done.

The amount of money spent was crazy, 420 k on a shack and another 180 k doing it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement