Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Seriously?

He'd want to lose the man bun first.
    +1 *shudders*

Thought that was a strange one overall - can't quite put my finger on why.

I thought they made a total dog's dinner of the front door/entrance hall - that was just all wrong. The rest of it was ok - the grey kitchen definitely didn't do it for me!

Fecking sky recording cut out just as they were getting to the upstairs bathroom - again, not for me, the glimpse I caught of it.

Was there anything interesting in the last few minutes? How much did they spend in the end, or was that mentioned?

QS was kept in the background totally after that frankly quite bizarre "job interview" in the cafe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    +1 *shudders*

Thought that was a strange one overall - can't quite put my finger on why.

I thought they made a total dog's dinner of the front door/entrance hall - that was just all wrong. The rest of it was ok - the grey kitchen definitely didn't do it for me!

Fecking sky recording cut out just as they were getting to the upstairs bathroom - again, not for me, the glimpse I caught of it.

Was there anything interesting in the last few minutes? How much did they spend in the end, or was that mentioned?

QS was kept in the background totally after that frankly quite bizarre "job interview" in the cafe!

Yeah I know sometimes Dermot can be a bit pushy but he was right about the kitchen, you could tell he was really pissed off with them as well when they went with the grey kitchen.

Yeah I know sometimes Dermot can be a bit pushy but he was right about the kitchen, you could tell he was really pissed off with them as well when they went with the grey kitchen.
    And after all their going on about colour, they wanted COLOUR - they go for grey :confused:

Thought Dermot (and a poster or two here) were a bit snarky about the shampoo/shower gel bottle - why not use something like that as inspiration for colour combinations??? If that's where you happen to see the combinations/shades you like, then what's the problem?

But then after all that, to go for grey......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Strangest thing about the show was the QS.....what did she actually do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Cortecs wrote: »

Looked great ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

And after all their going on about colour, they wanted COLOUR - they go for grey :confused:

Thought Dermot (and a poster or two here) were a bit snarky about the shampoo/shower gel bottle - why not use something like that as inspiration for colour combinations??? If that's where you happen to see the combinations/shades you like, then what's the problem?

But then after all that, to go for grey......

Totally agree id be one for seeing a nice colour pattern God only knows where and using it.

I know it was grey but I'm so glad they didn't go with white. I just can't stand white!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Seriously?

He'd want to lose the man bun first.

No need for nasty personal put-downs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,454 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Cortecs wrote: »

Her job by the sounds of things.
    Job was completed under budget and they got what they wanted or so we are told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Tefral

mickdw wrote: »
    Her job by the sounds of things.
    Job was completed under budget and they got what they wanted or so we are told.

KKelliher a mod on here works for/with her.

The show is as dramatised as possible.

Dermot doesn't even design the houses an Architect called Kieran Devine does. (Hes even credited in the credits if you look closely)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

The thing that annoys me about Dermot is the couple had a very clear brief at the beginning. 180k budget and wanted 3 or 4 bedrooms. Its up to Dermot to design around the customers brief. Instead he comes back with his own design irrespective of the clients needs. He could have designed something with 3 bedrooms within the budget. It's not like his design in the end was anything special. Pretty bog standard modern extension connected to an old building via a glass box "to bridge the old and new" I've seen it a 1000 times. Its architecture 101.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,454 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Tefral wrote: »
    KKelliher a mod on here works for/with her.

The show is as dramatised as possible.

Dermot doesn't even design the houses an Architect called Kieran Devine does. (Hes even credited in the credits if you look closely)

Looking at the planning file for a house they did in mayo, Dermot was certainly involved in that one with various letters on file. Perhaps it was the other architect who was leading it but contact Dermot with any further queries was definitely mentioned in one letter.

The thing that annoys me about Dermot is the couple had a very clear brief at the beginning. 180k budget and wanted 3 or 4 bedrooms. Its up to Dermot to design around the customers brief. Instead he comes back with his own design irrespective of the clients needs. He could have designed something with 3 bedrooms within the budget. It's not like his design in the end was anything special. Pretty bog standard modern extension connected to an old building via a glass box "to bridge the old and new" I've seen it a 1000 times. Its architecture 101.

I always have assumed that RTE give the couple in question a few quid to go with the build, because who would choose to have Derek as the architect otherwise? He seems like a nightmare to deal with. You're post sums him up. They said at the briefing that they wanted a second story, a deadly master bedroom and at least 3 bedrooms, if not 4.

I've not read back through the thread, maybe this was asked but, he is a window cleaner, she worked in document archival, and they bought a house at auction for 418K which needed another 180k spent on it? Must be more money in window cleaning than I thought.

Also, the son looked about 10 years younger than the dad.

I always have assumed that RTE give the couple in question a few quid to go with the build, because who would choose to have Derek as the architect otherwise? He seems like a nightmare to deal with. You're post sums him up. They said at the briefing that they wanted a second story, a deadly master bedroom and at least 3 bedrooms, if not 4.

I've not read back through the thread, maybe this was asked but, he is a window cleaner, she worked in document archival, and they bought a house at auction for 418K which needed another 180k spent on it? Must be more money in window cleaning than I thought.

Also, the son looked about 10 years younger than the dad.
    It's absolutely nothing to do with anything - but I thought she said she worked for a domestic violence charity/service :confused:

Agree with everything else though - they met, the couple said they wanted ABC, and Dermot came back with a plan for XYZ. How can he actually do that with a straight face? His original plan was for a 2-bed house, with both bedrooms looking like spare bedrooms, neither could even pretend to be a "master bedroom", never mind a "suite" which is clearly what they were after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,780 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's absolutely nothing to do with anything - but I thought she said she worked for a domestic violence charity/service :confused:

I thought she said that as well and she's being doing it for nineteen years and has always had a steady job compared to her husband. I'd say she's some sort of social worker/councillor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have to laugh at the figures people are prepared to spend for work most people could do themselves. If they were prepared to get their hands a little dirty ...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I have to laugh at the figures people are prepared to spend for work most people could do themselves. If they were prepared to get their hands a little dirty ...
    In fairness yer man wasn't afraid to get stuck in.... what else of the job was "work most people could do themselves"?

I thought she said she did document archival at the central bank?

As you said it doesnt matter. Fact is, she is not a cardiologist in Beaumont. Or a lawyer or something really well paid. If you were well paid, would you really scrimp and save living in Darndale for 20 years, never getting new curtains, if you were earning a decent amount?

I thought she said that as well and she's being doing it for nineteen years and has always had a steady job compared to her husband. I'd say she's some sort of social worker/councillor!
    he was, that's what im saying. Fair play to him. Also what was this bull**** over the 10k drain that was never mentioned again. U can hire a mini digger for 100-150 a day. You'd have a new trench and pipe put down to boundary in few hours for pocket change. A lot of the stuff is sensationalised ...

Domestic violence service is what I recall... I don't know what age he is. But he looks damn good for it...

Its not just that. Dermot said if yer man did the demolition himself it would save him about 10K. Well Mrs Denartha and myself could easily do the demo over a couple of weeks, but yer man had a team of friends helping him out. Did I even see a mini-digger at one point?

Which begs the question, how would demolition cost 10k? I'd love to see a breakdown of those figures. Rental of plant equipment, sure, but hmm.

But like you, I always laugh at all the home improvement type shows, cowboy builders being a great example where seemingly gormless people paid 25k or more to some cowboy builder to extend their kitchen and had an argument with him one day and he walked off with the cheque. Where do these people find this money? What am I doing wrong? The best was a couple who spent 250,000 on a project and fell out with the builder for their luxury farmhouse refurbishment and contacted Cowboy Builders for help. How did they attain 250k while seemingly to lack normal defensive social skills to not vet the guy first? Or not have contacts who could find him and put pressure on him?

• Advertisement

Domestic violence service is what I recall... I don't know what age he is. But he looks damn good for it...

They met when he was on a lads holiday in Spain, and she was on a girls holiday in Spain and they met in the airport, and "hooked up" later on in the holiday.

The son, they said is 21.

She doesn't look like she is 40. I'd nearly say mid thirties.

When do people go on lads/girls holidays to foreign lands? Post leaving cert maybe?

I'd say they were 17/18/19 when the met, been together 20 years, so they are 37/38/39 each.

Jesus I need a hobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

he was, that's what im saying. Fair play to him. Also what was this bull**** over the 10k drain that was never mentioned again. U can hire a mini digger for 100-150 a day. You'd have a new trench and pipe put down to boundary in few hours for pocket change. A lot of the stuff is sensationalised ...
    Of course it is, it's a tv show for entertainment! I do agree a lot of stuff is laughable but in this case They would have had to deepen the drain to get under the foundation level of the extension and that would mean a complete new run onto road under footpaths etc and once the council get involved you can add a few zeros to the bill. Probably have to close the road for a week and pay three lads to look into the trench!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭TPF2012

She doesn't look like she is 40. I'd nearly say mid thirties.

Early 40s and looks it too, he looks mid 30s but is probably early 40s also.Good looking woman though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Eyepatch wrote: »
    No need for nasty personal put-downs!

It's the best advice he will ever get, man buns look ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Just your opinion!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

Half the fu#kers I see out and about everyday look ridiculous "I think", and I'm sure some say same bout me. World is full of all sorts, if you've to resort to appearance digs then you're scraping the barrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Etc

I think the recent posts have gone completely off thread. Does a son's bun really have an affect on house design....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,780 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Etc wrote: »
    I think the recent posts have gone completely off thread. Does a son's bun really have an affect on house design....?

If we only discussed house design on this thread it would be pretty boring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,838 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Etc wrote: »

Along with how good he looks, how old he is/she is. What age they met, how she's older than him, how they can afford such a place etc etc. It's all part of it really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sundays show got one of the highest ratings ever for the show...
    Dermot Bannon is still the nation's favourite architect as Room To Improve returned with some of its highest ratings yet.

The RTE series drew in an impressive audience of 592,300 viewers, or 42pc of the viewers, for the debut episode of series 10.

This is an increase over the opening episode of series 9 which was watched by 584,400 viewers, or a 40pc share of the audience.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/dermot-bannon-celebrates-as-room-to-improve-delivers-highest-ratings-yet-35412794.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement