Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Etc

If we only discussed house design on this thread it would be pretty boring!

Really ?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Along with how good he looks, how old he is/she is. What age they met, how she's older than him, how they can afford such a place etc etc. It's all part of it really

Er, I think you should probably wait until they're in Hello....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,780 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Etc wrote: »
    Really ?

Read the comments. If we only discussed the design very little would be discussed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't watch TV as a rule, but this is recorded for escapism.

You know, you throw things at the TV (that I don't watch lol) and say WTF, another wall down, another kitchen, what's wrong with the first set of tiles, floors whatever. So much over budget omg.

The big drama is usually with the builders. Drains in the wrong place, underpinning required etc. and so on. But to be fair it all comes out right in the end. Has to.

Honestly I just watch the first ten minutes, and skip through the recording to the end result which is always great.

FOR A FEKKIN PRICE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

Why did they not show the 2 bedrooms at the front and also the walk in wardrobe? Was dying to see the wardrobe! Also never said what happened with the drain issue. And the qs was nowhere to be seen! Bit of a weird episode!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,051 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Why did they not show the 2 bedrooms at the front and also the walk in wardrobe? Was dying to see the wardrobe! Also never said what happened with the drain issue. And the qs was nowhere to be seen! Bit of a weird episode!

I'd imagine the budget ran out so the front two rooms weren't 100%.

Come to think of it is there any evidence that even the steel went up in that section? I don't think we see the inside of that since that incident.

Read the comments. If we only discussed the design very little would be discussed!

That's sad, really, there's lots to be discussed about each project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,838 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

That's sad, really, there's lots to be discussed about each project

Then set up a new thread in the construction forum maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

While these type of shows can be educational, their main purpose is as entertainment. That would include more than just design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭blondie29

Anyone know if the new series is repeated during the week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Lots of people compare this to grand designs but its closer to Building the Dream which is a great show. The presenter is not the architect but makes suggestions... and If not implemented, doesnt get all p1ssy like Dermot which was ridiculous for a professional architect.... Bannon has some very unlikeable personality traits. No 1 is not listening to his clients.

Although he appeared more acutely aware of the budget this time.

This episode focused more on the couple than the build... needs a new director...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

blondie29 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the new series is repeated during the week?
    Sat 16.50 RTE1

Then set up a new thread in the construction forum maybe.

Why would I do that when this forum is there to discuss the program ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Lots of people compare this to grand designs but its closer to Building the Dream which is a great show. The presenter is not the architect but makes suggestions... and If not implemented, doesnt get all p1ssy like Dermot which was ridiculous for a professional architect.... Bannon has some very unlikeable personality traits. No 1 is not listening to his clients.

Although he appeared more acutely aware of the budget this time.

This episode focused more on the couple than the build... needs a new director...

There`s one simple rule to TV: nothing you see is genuine.
    A local lad here was on the Irish Don't tell the bride and he said he couldn't believe how staged it was. The groom was told to go into Pennys and then the producers would point at mad looking dresses and tell the groom to pretend like he was interested in getting them.

I have no doubt similar stuff goes on in Room to Improve. Its to formulaic not to have an element of production i.e every episode more or less follows the formula of dilapidated house bought for mad money in Dublin/small family home not fit for purpose - meet Dermot Bannon - plans drawn up - clients not sure - clients invariably change elements - conflict ensues - compromise reached - nice shots of finished house with family and friends all highly impressed - end credits.

Dermot Bannon is the show and his personality traits which causes conflict with clients is what makes it compelling viewing.
    These conflicts are most likely exaggerated.
    The show is exceedingly popular in its current format so I highly doubt RTE will be changing anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Just caught up with this, and I was disappointed. Despite the couple being likeable and the overall project working out well, it left me cold.

I'm not sure if anyone watches My dream Home by the Property Brothers but I felt last night was leaning in that direction. Huge chunks felt scripted in a way it never did before. The whole 'news to me bud' was definitely not news to him. There is a script writer mentioned in the credits, but I suppose that could purely be for the voice over.

The house also wasn't finished. It would have been nice to see that acknowledged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,838 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Why would I do that when this forum is there to discuss the program ?

Because you think it's really sad that people are discussing things outside of the actual building project. This is the reality tv forum and you have to expect these kind of tangents. Of course the couple and their lives are going to be discussed. That's the nature of the program. If it wasn't then why bother show the couple in the first place? I'm sure rte could just show a team of builders renovating a house.
    So not being smart, but you could open a thread on the construction forum that just discusses the building side of things on the program

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Because you think it's really sad that people are discussing things outside of the actual building project. This is the reality tv forum and you have to expect these kind of tangents. Of course the couple and their lives are going to be discussed. That's the nature of the program. If it wasn't then why bother show the couple in the first place? I'm sure rte could just show a team of builders renovating a house.
    So not being smart, but you could open a thread on the construction forum that just discusses the building side of things on the program

Less biography and more architecture would be better. RTE also need to watch 'Grand Designs' to see how it is done. Just showing half the house at the end is a cop out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

recipio wrote: »
    Less biography and more architecture would be better. RTE also need to watch 'Grand Designs' to see how it is done. Just showing half the house at the end is a cop out.

I don't think Room to Improve is comparable to Grand Designs tbh. Completely different animals.

But I do agree with your last statement - I didn't actually see the very end of the programme this week as the recording cut off before the end, so I'm not sure what wasn't shown - but they hadn't shown the downstairs bedrooms (or if they did it was so fleeting I didn't notice), and showed a 2-sec shot of a bathroom that may or may not have been the downstairs one. I'm gathering from posts on here that they didn't show all of upstairs either.

I see speculation on here that maybe they ran out of money and the house wasn't properly/fully finished. If that's the case, then they should make that clear at the end.

Yes, the show is closer to ' Building the Dream ' with Charlie Luxton. I'm always amazed at how people on that show will spend half a mil on a very conventional house whereas the Grand Designers can get a cutting edge design for the same money. Charlie teases his clients but Dermot dictates to them.;)

• Advertisement

recipio wrote: »
    Yes, the show is closer to ' Building the Dream ' with Charlie Luxton. I'm always amazed at how people on that show will spend half a mil on a very conventional house whereas the Grand Designers can get a cutting edge design for the same money. Charlie teases his clients but Dermot dictates to them.;)
    I'm very reluctant to ask in case I get sucked into watching yet another property series - but what channel is this Building the Dream on??? I've never even heard of it!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm very reluctant to ask in case I get sucked into watching yet another property series - but what channel is this Building the Dream on??? I've never even heard of it!

Channel 4 or More 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

I've watched Building the Dream. Not sure which channel, but probably one of the BBC's or C4. Usually they are bigger projects than Room to Improve - more way out there. RTI is more down-to-earth, helping people modernise/extend an old house to suit the clients' needs.

As with just about all of these type programmes, they are a form of reality TV - entertainment being high among their priorities. Let's face it most of us will only watch what's entertaining. :p

I've watched dozens of The Property Brothers - (twins, Drew and Jonathon Scott). Like most of these types of programmes, they have a formula they seem to follow. Theirs usually means knocking down internal walls in "fixer-uppers" to make the end result more "open concept". That ends up becoming the "dream home" which otherwise the client could not have afforded in turnkey condition.

All of these type programmes become very predictable, but very enjoyable nonetheless! Keep up the great work, Dermot. We love you. :D

There`s one simple rule to TV: nothing you see is genuine.
    A local lad here was on the Irish Don't tell the bride and he said he couldn't believe how staged it was. The groom was told to go into Pennys and then the producers would point at mad looking dresses and tell the groom to pretend like he was interested in getting them.

I have no doubt similar stuff goes on in Room to Improve. Its to formulaic not to have an element of production i.e every episode more or less follows the formula of dilapidated house bought for mad money in Dublin/small family home not fit for purpose - meet Dermot Bannon - plans drawn up - clients not sure - clients invariably change elements - conflict ensues - compromise reached - nice shots of finished house with family and friends all highly impressed - end credits.

Dermot Bannon is the show and his personality traits which causes conflict with clients is what makes it compelling viewing.
    These conflicts are most likely exaggerated.
    The show is exceedingly popular in its current format so I highly doubt RTE will be changing anything about it.

I gettca but Grand Designs / Building the dream dont make the host an ass for ratings... thats a huge difference. Rte are trying to make a soap out of it. And that kitchen rant made Dermot look like an ass and must surely put off perspective clients... I couldnt imagine engaging his services, and were planning a major job at our house as an example...

I gettca but Grand Designs / Building the dream dont make the host an ass for ratings... thats a huge difference. Rte are trying to make a soap out of it. And that kitchen rant made Dermot look like an ass and must surely put off perspective clients... I couldnt imagine engaging his services, and were planning a major job at our house as an example...
    Hear hear.

Dermot and Lisa were on Ray Darcy.... Only turned on to hear them saying goodbye.

Anyone hear it? Worth listening back? (Prefer not to listen to Darcy if I don't have to!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Lisa's voice is very sexy if that helps. :o We need more of her.

I got the impression that she takes no crap off Dermot and doesn't necessarily think too much of him, I got the impression that she isn't 100% happy with being behind the camera, possibly only doing this for exposure (which is fair enough).

There's also something about her that makes me think she's a very good QS. Takes no bull and straight to the point. Some QS's that I've come across are awful bullshltters altogether, a good one is worth their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I would say he has more work than he can handle. He`s probably the most high profile architect in Ireland.
    He clearly cares deeply about the end product. What would you prefer: an architect that throws few lines on a page and makes your house look like every other house on the street or Dermot Bannon who puts a lot of time and effort into it?

I would say he has more work than he can handle. He`s probably the most high profile architect in Ireland.
    He clearly cares deeply about the end product. What would you prefer: an architect that throws few lines on a page and makes your house look like every other house on the street or Dermot Bannon who puts a lot of time and effort into it?

Id prefer one who listens to his client when your talking 6 figure projects. Granted its hard tell in the distorted view of an rte show with questionable direction but I wouldnt be taking the chance... some might be drawn to his "celebrity status"... but over the years he shows sign of being a bit too precious of his designs to want to work with.

Dermot gives me the opinion you should be delighted to live in his creation because of how great he his rather than how successful the build was for his clients.

Again I accept he could be a different animal off screen but I wouldnt pay to find out. Id certainly question his judgement on how the show presents him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Just started again on RTE1 now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement