Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Bit mad how they could afford to save so much through the years by possibly paying very little rent on a council house. Isn't it meant to be means tested and for people who can't afford to rent or buy privately, surely been able to save so much means they could afford to rent or buy privately?

Anyway they got what they wanted in the end so fair play to them, they got their dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Bit mad how they could afford to save so much through the years by possibly paying very little rent on a council house. Isn't it meant to be means tested and for people who can't afford to rent or buy privately, surely been able to save so much means they could afford to rent or buy privately?

Anyway they got what they wanted in the end so fair play to them, they got their dream.

Who said they were in a council house ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

I suppose if they were both smokers they could go through €8,000 a year between them, and another child or 2 could cost another 8k a year easy...so if they had a modest lifestyle they could save, compared to people who smoke, gamble, drink, party.

Bullocks wrote: »
    Who said they were in a council house ?

Fairly obvious by looking at their house in darndale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

They may have bought the council house but is that really what public housing should be about.

Surely if you have the means to buy a council house you have the means to get a mortgage and you should be required to hand the council house back to someone who genuinely needs it.

I dont understand how someone can save substantial amounts of money even if paying the maximum rent available on a council house or even how someone can buy a council house at a discounted price and have the means to buy a house for half a million euros.I think they said they lived in that council house for twenty years, this just seems daft to me and smacks of someone taking advantage of daft housing policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bubblypop wrote: »

Ah right so because council houses were never sold to people ever. Like vast schemes of private ownership over decades.

Ridiculous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

What I found a bit strange, was the holiday Robbie went on (where he broke his foot, or whatever it was) during the building work going on, of which he was heavily involved...who either has the time or the money to be going on a holiday when you have a massive building project going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I wouldn't assume too much , I think its good to see people bettering themselves either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What I found a bit strange, was the holiday Robbie went on (where he broke his foot, or whatever it was) during the building work going on, of which he was heavily involved...who either has the time or the money to be going on a holiday when you have a massive building project going on?

Sounded like a stags . Some times unavoidable but I agree it was silly to go on considering what he was building and the nature of his business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

I don't know how anyone would hire Dermot after watching that show.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Ah right so because council houses were never sold to people ever. Like vast schemes of private ownership over decades.

Ridiculous post.

I didn't say that they don't own the house. Even if they bought it, they bought it from the council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

dresden8 wrote: »

I often wonder that too. Does he hurt his brand by being on this show? I suppose some would like the idea of a celebrity architect but I don't think I would. He can come across as a bit of a diva and doesn't appear to be good at working with client requirements.

He should challenge his clients to make them aware of alternatives for sure but also realise that the ultimate goal is to design something that satisfies them.

Now a lot is probably for the sake of TV but it still affects people's opinion of him.

Id prefer one who listens to his client when your talking 6 figure projects. Granted its hard tell in the distorted view of an rte show with questionable direction but I wouldnt be taking the chance... some might be drawn to his "celebrity status"... but over the years he shows sign of being a bit too precious of his designs to want to work with.

Dermot gives me the opinion you should be delighted to live in his creation because of how great he his rather than how successful the build was for his clients.

Again I accept he could be a different animal off screen but I wouldnt pay to find out. Id certainly question his judgement on how the show presents him.

I'd say he's not too worried how the show presents him. He has a very high profile because of it and probably lots of income streams because of it .

This is a TV show . It makes for better ratings if there's is drama and hissy fits . I'm quite sure in real life he listens and sticks with the plans of the customer far more than on the show . These people are bound to be getting his services for a discount or the show wouldn't exist . So they have to put up with some of Dermot antics .

I have to say I'd be over the moon to be able to get Dermot Bannon to redesign a house for me . I'm a strong person anyway and no pushover so it wouldn't worry me at all. And I really doubt Dermot is worried either l :D
    (no such thing as bad publicity anyway !)

dresden8 wrote: »

Why ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Eh?? It's not obvious at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

Was looking at a repeat of an EP of Grand Designs the other night, for near same budget as the couple from last week on room to improve he ended up with a stunner of a 1 off home. A palace in comparison.

New build going up near me the last few months, the first in a long time and it's a sh1tty 2 storey 4 walls yoke, they've a wall with 3 small windows south facing....Caves is what these houses are. Thousands to heat every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I passed the house from Malahide a couple of times during the week. It looks well, you'd barely notice it as it's very subtle. It blends in very well. I'd be more than happy with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

I used love Des Bishop. I went to see him live, got DVD's, watched his shows but for some reason can't stand him now.

Go and watch something decent, dragons den is on ina min.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

arkrow wrote: »
    Was looking at a repeat of an EP of Grand Designs the other night, for near same budget as the couple from last week on room to improve he ended up with a stunner of a 1 off home. A palace in comparison.

New build going up near me the last few months, the first in a long time and it's a sh1tty 2 storey 4 walls yoke, they've a wall with 3 small windows south facing....Caves is what these houses are. Thousands to heat every year.

Saw Dermot on the Late Late and if memory serves he said a 330k house will give about 125k back to the Government in tax.:eek: That is shocking and a rip off. I think we need a shake up in the building industry here. The new QS didn't get a look in in Malahide ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Farmer Dermot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭small town girl

Brussels sprouts, wind, Dermot... A joke in there somewhere

Some setup

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

great show

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Dermot must be the only person who ranks Brussels sprouts as their favourite vegetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i came to see room to improve.... um :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

honeybear wrote: »
    Some setup

Imagine how much it would be worth with planning permission to build houses on :D

M

I like the car idea.

This will be gas

M

The son should have made a model out of lego to show off to Dermot with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

recipio wrote: »
    Saw Dermot on the Late Late and if memory serves he said a 330k house will give about 125k back to the Government in tax.:eek: That is shocking and a rip off. I think we need a shake up in the building industry here. The new QS didn't get a look in in Malahide ?

Yeah, the interview at the start (hiviz jackets in a cafe/restaurant) and running the bath at the end. After bringing a bottle of bubbly to the party. Patricia's role cut out to give more screen time to Dermot, eh?

Saw it again yesterday, still can't figure out the windows in the bedroom. Noticed a radiator inside the bedroom door and not under a window as is normal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement