Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭appledrop

Love this house especially the kitchen. I usually don't like Dermots kitchen but really like that one. If I was being really picky the house could do with some colour but that's easily fixture with a few picture + colourful cushions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

Why would anyone their age want a house that size, all those steps and huge rooms and the turret thing would be lethal for grandchildren.

Their children had already moved out so why would you want a house big enough to fit them in if they decide to come back.

I would want to be downsizing at that age and travelling, not spending hundreds of thousands building a big house which will be hard to heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,780 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mary63 wrote: »
    Why would anyone their age want a house that size, all those steps and huge rooms and the turret thing would be lethal for grandchildren.

Their children had already moved out so why would you want a house big enough to fit them in if they decide to come back.

I would want to be downsizing at that age and travelling, not spending hundreds of thousands building a big house which will be hard to heat.

Well that's you. They wanted a big house for their family when they return home for visits and if you decided to go on Room to Improve you can ask Dermot to build you a small house with no steps and all the safety equipment you need for grandchildren.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Loved this episode,I'd say it's the best in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Well that's you. They wanted a big house for their family when they return home for visits and if you decided to go on Room to Improve you can ask Dermot to build you a small house with no steps and all the safety equipment you need for grandchildren.

Even though they had grown up children, they definitely came across as very active. House was perfect for them, especially given it's historical significance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

The motivation is to be on telly.
    In tonight's episode the couples son had done up the drawings already.
    Apart from arguing the toss over an exposed stone wall and the height of the roof the whole thing could have went on without Dermot Bannon.
    It strengthens my belief that the conflicts are orchestrated by the series producers.
    Not true! Even the son admitted he did not have the expereince to be able to carry this build to completion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

You need to be thinking about limited mobility when you get older so a bungalow would be a better option at that stage.

The stairs was very steep for climbing and there wasn't even a runner of carpet on it to give a foot grip.

No one wants adult children returning home to live so what was the obsession with car parking.

That house will be freezing for nine months of the year and I am tired of Dermots work too, its all so samey.

Mary63 wrote: »
    You need to be thinking about limited mobility when you get older so a bungalow would be a better option at that stage.

The stairs was very steep for climbing and there wasn't even a runner of carpet on it to give a foot grip.

No one wants adult children returning home to live so what was the obsession with car parking.

That house will be freezing for nine months of the year and I am tired of Dermots work too, its all so samey.

Not all old elderly people end up with limited mobility. You'd swear the couple were in their nighties pushing Zimmer frames and if they do need to adapt the house in twenty years time they can.
    The couple were selling their family home and keeping the farm and chances are the sons will end up helping on the farm so if they sons did return during busy periods of the year there hardly going to send them to a B&B.(if the couple didn't want adult children returning home they had the best excuse ever in not building rooms for them)
    My brother built a big contemporary extension and with proper installation and heating systems it's no problem to heat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

They're married 32 years, so probably late 50's, which gives them another 20 years of active life on average. There'll be kids always showing up, grandkids, friends visiting etc. That's why they wanted a house like that.

When it gets too big, they can always sell it. It'll always be worth a few quid, so it's a nest egg of sorts. Yer man is very active, they type that's always doing something, so the man's shed and boathouse suit him a lot better than some small bungalow or apartmment.

It's their decision, their money and that's what they got, so best of luck to them.

Me? I'd be happy with a 2 bed, one of which would double up as an office. Space to park a couple of cars, a garage for my classics and a bit of a garden to grow some veg and sit outside on a nice day. I'd only stipulate that the house has full folding patio doors along the wall to the garden as I'd have them open and be drinking coffee and reading the paper on a cold day.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In fairness I'd say the man would whip together an elevator for the gaff over a weekend if he was thinking his or the wifes legs wouldn't be up to doing the stairs in the later years.

• Advertisement

In fairness I'd say the man would whip together an elevator for the gaff over a weekend if he was thinking his or the wifes legs wouldn't be up to doing the stairs in the later years.

I couldn't see Enda lying down until the very end to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I was thinking that - in years to come there's plenty of room to put a lift in somewhere if they want one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

It was interesting to hear the son say he was amazed Enda took direction from Dermot. From what I saw, Enda was a mighty worker but he seemed to delight in raising Dermot's heckles. Fair play, they took on board his advice when he wanted to nix the 'driveway through the house' but at every visit by Dermot there seemed to be a smart-alec comment or rabbit to pull out of the hat. I know they get Dermot's services for free but it felt like they regarded him as some simple child they would indulge for an hour or so whenever he arrived on site.
    It's great TV but I hope the architect son gets nicer and more cooperative clients when he sets up shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

It's great TV but I hope the architect son gets nicer and more cooperative clients when he sets up shop.

We must have been watching two different programmes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I noticed their house in Swords is still up for sale so that must put them on a lot of financial pressure.
    They are probably having difficulty selling it due to the farmyard at the back of the house. Great episode though.

Dermot is on the Today show tomorrow!

Great plot

Grand site alright. Right beside the old train station and Greenway.

Nice couple

Who remember the last GAA player and their wife and his mother?
    One of them had a strong personality!

• Advertisement

Who remember the last GAA player and their wife and his mother?
    One of them had a strong personality!

Sarah???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'd love a bigger utility room

honeybear wrote: »
    Sarah???

I think so!

Both of them teachers again!

€300,000 for a house in Moate?

That's an insane budget. I know Athlone well, but that's crazy for out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Dis lad must love seeing his mug on the telly

It's amazing he's put the utility room into the design because he generally leaves out something they want!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Not sure about a utility room in the centre of the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Getting rid of a room for a utility? Jesus Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Lisha wrote: »
    I'd love a bigger utility room

That's the joys of getting older!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement