Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I liked the couple at the start but by the end I just thought they were very condecending towards Dermot. Maybe it was their humour, I duno but I went off them.
    House looks too white and too cold!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

final price?? anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

"Dessie and Kelly came to embrace design"

Really???

All I saw was them trying to best Dermot the whole time, and her banging on about a utility room! (I was a fan at the start but it wore thin on even me by the end)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Lisha wrote: »
    Ah Freya is a lovely name. Nice she got a mention p

Nice name but every little girl in the country seems to be called Freya.
    Getting a bit like the way Journeys Don't Stop Believing is a great song but completely overplayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,780 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If you've a teacher in the family you'd take no notice of the couple!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    final price?? anyone?

Wasn't mentioned, which was noticeable. Went well over €300,000 for the build I reckon with all the changes and add ons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    No. Best show EVER - remember Sarah-Jane? the lovely Sarah-Jane? - they had a new-build.

Who'll ever forget Sarah-Jane? <3

Yes how could we forget, here she is next to Rob Kearney in an Aer Lingus ad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

A bit of trivia, the housing estate beside them used to be the Moate Cattle Mart years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Is it not a bit impractical with young kids...white walls, open stairs, glass wall on a height? No QS & no final price. That utility is very narrow, she'll hardly have space for the ironing board!

Yes how could we forget, here she is next to Rob Kearney in an Aer Lingus ad...

I never copped that as being her!!! She looked FAR better in her pink wellies and hard hat :D

(Too distracted by the delectable Tommy Bowe, if the truth be told!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I'd say it broke the €300k mark.

300k plus furnishings I'd say

Red Kev wrote: »
    Wasn't mentioned, which was noticeable. Went well over €300,000 for the build I reckon with all the changes and add ons.

I think final price should be compulsory, otherwise it's a cod.

They mentioned budget at the start, they should have to say how much they wound up spending. If they went way over because the upped the spec or expanded the build or whatever, then fair enough, but they should have to give some indication of final spend.

They mentioned budget at the start, they should have to say how much they wound up spending. If they went way over because the upped the spec or expanded the build or whatever, then fair enough, but they should have to give some indication of final spend.

You never know with room to Improve because some weeks you think the house is finished with very good quality furniture. When in reality they've only a lend of them and they'd be lucky to have bean bags!

They went to London to look at cladding,perhaps they should have taken note of similar type UK TV programmes that always give the final spend at the end.

A bit of trivia, the housing estate beside them used to be the Moate Cattle Mart years ago.

And most of the cattle sold there back in the day went on the train to Broadstone station in Dublin. They were sold again at the mart in Dublin which is beside Hanlon's Corner today (Drumalee estate).

They would also run several hundred cattle along the quays and down to the docks to go to the UK on boats every night as well.

Different times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Car99 wrote: »
    300k plus furnishings I'd say

How much was original house and site ?

They went to London to look at cladding,perhaps they should have taken note of similar type Uk TV programmes that always give the final spend at the end.

In fairness I thought they always did give the final price - Patricia usually said it at the wrap party. Poor new QS isn't getting a look-in in this series!

And I've heard it said about furniture being lent for the wrap party - especially the rattan patio furniture which seems to be a staple of the shows! Although since they had (apparently) moved in with a new baby imminent I'd hope that all the furniture was their own :eek:

liam7831 wrote: »

50K.

And 250 (or was it 270) of a budget to do it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

did they show what they are doing in the next show?
    cant remember seeing it.

€50,000!

• Advertisement

cant remember seeing it.

I was so sick of seeing the ads for this one, I'm quite glad that I haven't seen a promo for next week's one! (yet!)

You never know with room to Improve because some weeks you think the house is finished with very good quality furniture. When in reality they've only a lend of them and they'd be lucky to have bean bags!

We saw very little of the house, so I presume it's only the couple of rooms that were finished and furnished. But getting in there is 90% of the battle.
    50K.

And 250 (or was it 270) of a budget to do it up.

House and site €50K

Plan was to renovate for €250K, but they decided to knock it as it would be €20K cheaper (€230K). But new plans went up to €275K.

I reckon it's over €300K for the build, some expensive finishing in it.

cant remember seeing it.

A woman returning to the house she grew up in. It's a 1960's house in Sutton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The final spend can be very different depending on what material you use, how many gadgets you go with, heating system, type of windows and so on. So it's a bit pointless anyway.

I bet the furniture wasn't theirs, there were way too many designer prices for their budget.

I like the house but I think it's very hard to maintain. Not just the inside with small kids but also outside. Those houses look wrong if the paint is not kept in totally pristine condition.

Red Kev wrote: »
    And most of the cattle sold there back in the day went on the train to Broadstone station in Dublin. They were sold again at the mart in Dublin which is beside Hanlon's Corner today (Drumalee estate).

They would also run several hundred cattle along the quays and down to the docks to go to the UK on boats every night as well.

Different times.

Yes indeed and before they got to the trains and boats,farmers in the Moate Mart catchment area used to walk/run cattle from their farms along the roads to the mart in the days when there were very few or no cattle lorries or tractors and trailers.
    I remember being out of bed at 5-6am on Monday morning when I was a child helping to get cattle to the Moate mart.Sunday evening bring them to a pre-arranged safe area on a farm half way to Moate,Monday morning complete the journey.Different times indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

They referred to Moate as a village on the show?! Eh is it not a town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Hope they like the sound of the train

Apparently there hasn't been one since about 1962 :o

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    They referred to Moate as a village on the show?! Eh is it not a town?

It is a small town,population 3000 approx.

• Advertisement

Not reading some of the previous posts?:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement