Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Apparently there hasn't been one since about 1962 :o

I'm talking about Tomas in the bedroom

Not reading some of the previous posts?:rolleyes:

Lmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

liam7831 wrote: »
    I'm talking about Tomas in the bedroom[/QUOTE

A cover your arse answer:D

I'm talking about Tomas in the bedroom[/QUOTE

A cover your arse answer:D

I set the trap and in you dived :)

I set the trap and in you dived :)

Still covering arse.

• Advertisement

Still covering arse.

Mwah mwah mwah

Hope Dessie doesn't go out of bounds on the Golf course and break any of those windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Of the 3 episodes thus far, last weeks was the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

honeybear wrote: »
    Of the 3 episodes thus far, last weeks was the best

I have the memory of a goldfish - can't even remember the first one of this series :o - but I think the pair last week are up there close to Sarah-Jane and her Mammy in terms of likeability and lovely end-product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Found this chat with Sarah Jane to Ray D'Arcy, hadn't heard it before...

http://www.podcasts.com/ray-darcy-show/episode/sarah-jane-bennett-room-to-improve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I have the memory of a goldfish - can't even remember the first one of this series :o - but I think the pair last week are up there close to Sarah-Jane and her Mammy in terms of likeability and lovely end-product.

The first episode had the young looking couple with the grown up son, himself was in the insurance ad. Remember they nearly reduced poor dermot to tears over changing the kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    The first episode had the young looking couple with the grown up son, himself was in the insurance ad. Remember they nearly reduced poor dermot to tears over changing the kitchen.

HOW could I have forgotten that one!

(as a totally irrelevant aside, having seen yer man in the ad, I've now seen another ad that I'm convinced stars my next-door neighbour! Is there anybody - bar me, clearly - that isn't in on the ad business???!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I have to say this has been my least favourite episode in the series so far. Didn't really like how the house turned out. It looked like a normal bungalow with a shed attached to it due to the cladding. Inside I didn't like the finishes, didn't like the living area at all, the stove looked very lost in the corner. Everywhere looked so plain and kinda bare. I know they probably only moved in but I didn't notice any colour anywhere apart from the child's room. I was expecting the house to be nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

How did Dermot not get run over by a train while taking his snaps? :eek:
    Just what I was thinking too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

Would you get 300,00 back if you sold that house in the future.

If the original house and fairly big site was bought for 50k its all about location so seems too much money to me to spend on a location like that.

Would they not have bought a detached house with a good enclosed garden for that money, can't see how that child could get out to play on that site and I hated that glass half wall on the first floor, how would you keep a child away from that.

There was nowhere cosy to sit and relax, I really would hate a house like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Icsics wrote: »
    Is it not a bit impractical with young kids...white walls, open stairs, glass wall on a height? No QS & no final price. That utility is very narrow, she'll hardly have space for the ironing board!

Correct. And the living room with such a high ceiling ( 2 and a half stories high?) looked hard to heat and full of echoes. And any curtains on those windows - could people look in at night? Would it not be interesting if they gave a BER rating at the end? And a cost per sq.m/ ft?

The first 2 shows were better than tonights.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I have to say this has been my least favourite episode in the series so far. Didn't really like how the house turned out. It looked like a normal bungalow with a shed attached to it due to the cladding. Inside I didn't like the finishes, didn't like the living area at all, the stove looked very lost in the corner. Everywhere looked so plain and kinda bare. I know they probably only moved in but I didn't notice any colour anywhere apart from the child's room. I was expecting the house to be nicer.

Completely agree. Only for the window it would look exactly like a cattle shed. Did not understand the fascination with the station house outside it. The windows were nice and the layout is great but more warmth/colour was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I highly doubt anyone on that show will ever bug me as much as a couple of years back when the couple who were doing up his mothers house, and the daughter and law treated her mother in law like ****! She kept on going on without any consideration for anyone else's preferences.

Well tonight's ran her pretty close....and what a surprise, she was also a teacher!

The continued reference to "what I'm looking for" and "what I want" irked me, it's not just your house mrs! People are having a go at Dessie for changing his mind about the man cave, but you can bet the house on him caving into his wife telling him to shelve the idea so they can free that space up for whatever she wanted. He was so dominated by her it's unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Just what I was thinking too!

There hasn't been a train on that track in many a year. It's purely a cycleway now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

What was the fascination with the grey signal box. Someone could paint it another colour next week. I didn't like all Dermots snide comments. Probably annoyed there was no champagne party at the end. The builder seemed a sound man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Do the couple contribute to Dermot Bannons fee I wonder or is it all covered by RTE?

Also thought it was pretty honest of the builder to mention about knocking down the house and rebuilding, which caused him a few weeks delay and possibly a smaller fee. Although I found it incredible for Dermot not to cop that it was much easier to knock it then to renovate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

maryishere wrote: »
    Correct. And the living room with such a high ceiling ( 2 and a half stories high?) looked hard to heat and full of echoes. And any curtains on those windows - could people look in at night? Would it not be interesting if they gave a BER rating at the end? And a cost per sq.m/ ft?

The first 2 shows were better than tonights.

How did it look hard to heat? They looked like triple glazed windows and the walls looked like a 120mm cavity.

I'd be fairly certain it has a high BER rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I thought they were a lovely couple a lot nicer than most, don't understand the negativity here.

Completely agree. Only for the window it would look exactly like a cattle shed. Did not understand the fascination with the station house outside it. The windows were nice and the layout is great but more warmth/colour was needed.

I don't know. I have yet to see a cattle shed with a standing seam zinc roof. The cattle must live in luxury in your part of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,780 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

How did it look hard to heat? They looked like triple glazed windows and the walls looked like a 120mm cavity.

I'd be fairly certain it has a high BER rating.

when you compare it to a standard living room. These style living rooms can be hard to heat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

cup of tea wrote: »
    Although I found it incredible for Dermot not to cop that it was much easier to knock it then to renovate it

To be honest I think that almost every week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Why didn't the go with glass full height for the man cave and then it could've still been a very private room?

redbuck wrote: »
    I thought they were a lovely couple a lot nicer than most, don't understand the negativity here.

This. In fairness to the couple, they took almost every bit of advice that Dermot have on board. You usually have the client doing their own thing when it comes to colours and kitchens but they didn't. They appeared open to his ideas.

They went a bit off piste with the windows and changed the brief on the "man cave" but this things are relatively normal on a build. The final build was almost entirely what Dermot had envisioned which is relatively unusual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

me_irl wrote: »
    Munster Joinery truck there. Heard they were shíte though (?) Well, good selection, terrible fitters (from what I've heard).

Don't know if they've improved but they produced sh1te 8 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

How did it look hard to heat?

A lot of space to heat ( 2.5 stories in living room?) and a lot of glass area. I wonder what the BER would be. I do not think anyone said if the windows were double or treble glaze but I'm open to correction.

Interesting programme on a Sunday evening anyway, well done RTE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement