Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,652 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Tbf, if someone doesn't want a ticket to the show, then don't buy a ticket.

Don't look through the non-frosted glass I'd you don't want to see genitals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

They were a lovely couple :)

Wouldn't be mad about a few aspects of the house - the layout of that sitting room for starters, and that picture window in front of the bath :eek:

What ever happened with the upstairs? Did we even see that? (may have to watch back properly again!)

But each to their own, and fair play to them, I hope they got all that they wished for.

Sad story about the parents.... but the other Grandad looked mighty relieved to be shot of them :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Rocko

Was there anything done to the upstairs after the mezzanine was taken out
    If not €240,000 seems alot

Thumbs down for QS . No personality . Loved trish , she was a natural
    I've heard her interviewed a few times since the start of the series - and she sounded like she was nervous as hell! Seems to have had mixed feelings about doing it at all.

Can't say I blame her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    They were a lovely couple :)

Wouldn't be mad about a few aspects of the house - the layout of that sitting room for starters, and that picture window in front of the bath :eek:

What ever happened with the upstairs? Did we even see that? (may have to watch back properly again!)

But each to their own, and fair play to them, I hope they got all that they wished for.

Sad story about the parents.... but the other Grandad looked mighty relieved to be shot of them :D:D
    That's a few houses this series that...only parts of the finished house is shown...plus as mentioned it's odd never anything about heating ...a huge deal made about bloody windows in every episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't like the different height of front widows but otherwise I like the house. The split level between kitchen and sitting room is nice at the moment but I do wonder if that design will be a sign of times and not age that well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,380 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Weird location of opposing houses. You could reach out and high 5 your neighbour through a window.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't like the different height of front widows but otherwise I like the house. The split level between kitchen and sitting room is nice at the moment but I do wonder if that design will be a sign of times and not age that well.

That's nowhere near a new thing - a relative's house which they built had that about 30 years ago, and it was a real novelty (to us) then, being used to a conventional city house. That's one aspect of the build I'd have the least problem with!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 anthob

They'll learn quick enough.

Not to even mention step kids!

That's nowhere near a new thing - a relative's house which they built had that about 30 years ago, and it was a real novelty (to us) then, being used to a conventional city house. That's one aspect of the build I'd have the least problem with!

I know some were around before, they were a feature in nineties mob movies but I think they disappeared for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I don't think this house did Dermot any favours at all . Himself or the builder should have seen how tight the access was at the side entrance was when the footings went in and done something about it then . When it was pointed out to him he glossed over it and brought them inside to show them the great view they had of their back garden :rolleyes:
    Trying to make out he just wrote an opinion in the email to the window suppliers about the clear glass even though he knew they wanted frosted was a joke too
    The stove was a disaster too , it should never have been even thought of to put it in front of a window , I wonder whats the chances of it cracking a window pane some day that its going well ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,778 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What job does the woman have?
    Do they usually have an au-pair or did I pick that up wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

meeeeh wrote: »
    The split level between kitchen and sitting room is nice at the moment but I do wonder if that design will be a sign of times and not age that well.

For old people ( and most people will be old one day ) its a bit of a no no?

Nice design though. Hard to tell if house is overlooked at the back or not though. Would be nice if a bit more time was spent at the end showing the whole house eg the upstairs too.

nb where will they keep gardening tools , kids bikes, bin etc...if they put a shed in the back garden that will take away from it a bit.

She said at the start that they had someone living in to mind the kids, but now there was no room so she wasn't working. Don't think it was said what she does/had done though.

I think the said she was training healthcare workers but wasnt working while they were living with the father in law as they hadnt room for someone to live in and help with the kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bullocks wrote: »
    I don't think this house did Dermot any favours at all . Himself or the builder should have seen how tight the access was at the side entrance was when the footings went in and done something about it then . When it was pointed out to him he glossed over it and brought them inside to show them the great view they had of their back garden :rolleyes:
    Trying to make out he just wrote an opinion in the email to the window suppliers about the clear glass even though he knew they wanted frosted was a joke too
    The stove was a disaster too , it should never have been even thought of to put it in front of a window , I wonder whats the chances of it cracking a window pane some day that its going well ?

"I would go with clear" is quite clearly an opinion... Can't see how that was his fault.

lawred2 wrote: »
    "I would go with clear" is quite clearly an opinion... Can't see how that was his fault.

On an e mail ordering windows

lawred2 wrote: »

As Bullocks said, on the email thread concerning the ordering of the windows, Dermot, the architect who gets final say, indicated he would go with clear windows.

If he had said "If it was my door, I'd go with clear windows, but the client wants frosted", there would have been zero room for confusion. I can't help wondering if, knowing they were way over budget, and having lost the mezzanine, he was pulling a fast one, thinking they wouldn't change it

Regarding the split level living rooms/kitchen. I know of a good few house which were probably built in the sixties and as they were open plan with split levels. They were probably built by a trendy architect of the time. The one thing about them is when the owners got older and they needed to be adapted. They did it easily enough. It might have taken them a bit more than buying a grab rail on Lidl/Argos!

I've heard her interviewed a few times since the start of the series - and she sounded like she was nervous as hell! Seems to have had mixed feelings about doing it at all.

Can't say I blame her!

In the 40 seconds that she was onscreen, the director can portray her any way he wants. I don't really understand the big fanfare about introducing her in the first episode. That Velux window spent more time on the screen than she did. Dermot should have introduced the Window at the start of the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

They were a lovely couple and it turned out to be a nice house in the end. But I just find that it's seems to be the same thing nearly every week. Couple with a family want a nice standard house.

Would love an episode where someone has a bit of style about them, an unusual property, someone who wants something a bit different and unique, who doesn't think mezzanines are unnessary, who've got a bit more budget to play around with and who would really value the input of an architect.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    They were a lovely couple and it turned out to be a nice house in the end. But I just find that it's seems to be the same thing nearly every week. Couple with a family want a nice standard house.

Would love an episode where someone has a bit of style about them, an unusual property, someone who wants something a bit different and unique, who doesn't think mezzanines are unnessary, who've got a bit more budget to play around with and who would really value the input of an architect.

This is reality TV tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

There seems to be an issue with communication every single week.

I can't think it would be too difficult to come up with a rule whereby there is a point person from each party (the architect, builder, QS, client, etc) to ensure everyone is on the same page.

Well in recent times we had yer man in north Dublin who built his viewing turret, and the couple last week who insisted on a mezzanine.

But I agree that all the projects are within the bounds of "ordinary" and there are no spectaculars á la Grand Designs. But those who want and can afford Grand Designs type houses in Ireland tend not to be the type to be flash about it on de telly. Which is a shame for us viewers.
    ligerdub wrote: »

I can't think it would be too difficult to come up with a rule whereby there is a point person from each party (the architect, builder, QS, client, etc) to ensure everyone is on the same page.

I was only thinking this - like the captains on quiz shows - answers (or in this case instructions) will only be taken from the agreed spokesperson. But then there would be no misunderstandings to make for "good telly".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

ligerdub wrote: »

Do people not understand it's staged lack of communication to make programme more interesting, remember it's a tv show, can't believe people fall for this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

liam7831 wrote: »
    Do people not understand it's staged lack of communication to make programme more interesting, remember it's a tv show, can't believe people fall for this

This is also essentially potentially nice advertising for him. He's a professional with a reputation at stake, I can't think of much upside for situations where he looks scatterbrained. Sign me up for that guy to do up my house!

I think it's more the fact that they are projects which are perfectly nice and don't really push the architect.

I think there was an industrial building in one of earlier seasons with an old dance floor they used as cladding on internal wall. Not everything might be to my taste but the project was a bit more interesting than 1970's house getting a modern lift. But I guess those type of projects are not that easy to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

RobertKK wrote: »
    Maybe they are naturists.

Exhibitionists more like LOL ;)

yes but then in typical Irish begrudgery fashion everyone on this thread would be slagging off those very people who had the money to flash around! You really can't win!

Also its obvious that the mistakes or breakdowns in communication are solely done to add interest to the show and up ratings! Its TV folks - stop taking it so seriously ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

The figures they give at the end of each programme dont include interiors right?.... kitchens floors etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement