Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭secman

Why did nobody here or more importantly the design team and clients not mention the orange wavin soil pipe in the living room :(. Thought I was seeing things ladt night, a real elephant in the room situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,778 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

secman wrote: »
    Why did nobody here or more importantly the design team and clients not mention the orange wavin soil pipe in the living room :(. Thought I was seeing things ladt night, a real elephant in the room situation.

It would be great for wrapping tinsel around at Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

That's gas, missed that but I was only half watching. I get the feeling that many aspects of the house weren't finished, we didn't get to see much of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

liam7831 wrote: »
    Do people not understand it's staged lack of communication to make programme more interesting, remember it's a tv show, can't believe people fall for this

Everyone I know who has built a house / had a large renovation has had some kind of mis-communication happen. I agree that it's blown up / made more dramatic for TV but I do think that these things do happen. For example, the frosted window thing was probably genuine. But the part of getting them together to discuss it on the building site was probably staged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

I don't think that was a wavin, I was watching on a 50inch in hd and it didn't look like a waste pipe as it wasn't shiny enough to be a waste pipe, which brings me to the horrible conclusion that it was a pillar painted a terracotta colour - why oh god why?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm pretty sure it was a pillar, you could see it when they were assembling the steel beams for the new extension.

There was a big discussion about the stove and where it was to be positioned, but not a meeting whatsoever about the orange soil pipe in the room in front of the window. When we the viewers saw it , Dermot and the woman were standing with their back to window admiring the room, the orange soil pipe was right behind them , dead centre of them...... not a mention of it . Unbelievable elephant in the room situation. Mind you , my OH didn't see it either, definitely there though.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it was a pillar, you could see it when they were assembling the steel beams for the new extension.
    If it was a pillar, why paint it that orange/ terracotta colour, definitely looked like a soil pipe ;)

If it was a pillar, why paint it that orange/ terracotta colour, definitely looked like a soil pipe ;)

Errr that was my point? it wasn't a waste pipe - first it was too narrow to be one and it didn't have a glossy finish. Why on earth you would paint it such a brutal colour beats me?

Also guessing building regs. wouldn't allow a bare soil pipe run down in the middle of a open plan room. Great sound/smell effects every time you flush etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

looked like a sh!te pipe to me

lawred2 wrote: »
    looked like a sh!te pipe to me

Clean the sh!te out of your eyes!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

They wanted to be able to see the garden while watching TV at the same time. Puttng the stove in the middle of the glass wall seems ridiculous. Bit of a disaster, IMO.

I'm watching it for the 2nd time - and sure, the orange pillar (soil-pipe?) is much in evidence. LOL!

Love the overall design. The setting/site is wonderful. A great result in the end! Wishing the lucky family long life and happiness in their lovely home. Well done, Dermot and all concerned!

Nest weeks episode.
    A teacher plans to move into her grandparents' old 19th-century farmhouse in Co Meath before her wedding. Dermot Bannon discovers the property is outdated, cold and cramped, and begins making plans for a single storey extension. However, costs soon escalate as major problems are discovered with the drains and septic tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

An insistence by Dermot for all properties to have a Survey of the site carried out before he makes his plans would turn this program into a series of 15 minute specials.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

Still don't get how she didn't know she could see the sea from the window, was it her house at all?

arkrow wrote: »
    Still don't get how she didn't know she could see the sea from the window, was it her house at all?

Fairly simple it was a roof light window - hard to see out of at the best of times and factor in the window was taller than her - i.e she needed a step to see out of it - and voila - never knew view of sea existed in fairness it was far away but a view nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

arkrow wrote: »

Because it's a Velux sky light up high in the roof. They had to climb up to see out. You wouldn't normally climb on furniture to look out a window. Also not a proper sea view as you saw a bit of Bull Island over the rooftops of some houses.

I wouldn't regard it as a proper sea view. I think I know the road it's on and you'd never think you were near the sea there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Hate the way they never talk about heating and energy efficiency. Unless those big bay windows are triple glazed would it not be a very hard house to heat? At the start of the episode she even said it was a very cold house but then we never heard any mention about the heating after that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hate the way they never talk about heating and energy efficiency. Unless those big bay windows are triple glazed would it not be a very hard house to heat? At the start of the episode she even said it was a very cold house but then we never heard any mention about the heating after that?

too much time spent on the people themselves... it's going away from a build and design programme to just another 'reality' biopic show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Quazzie wrote: »
    An insistence by Dermot for all properties to have a Survey of the site carried out before he makes his plans would turn this program into a series of 15 minute specials.

You mean they would pick up things like the sewer pipe problem a few episodes back ?

Very good point. Despite the big budgets no one seems to be bothered about energy costs - unlike Grand Designs which always seems to have an alternative energy solution one way or another.

I know somebody who bought a 1980's bungalow that was very cold and hard to heat. We used call it the baked Alaska.
    They went off and did the Room to Improve style extension and apart from a few twigs at the start due to a builders fault with insulation their were no issues with heating. Once you buy good windows and make sure you've insulated properly and you have proper heaters installed for the size on room it should be easy enough to heat.
    (the majority of those big sliding windows are triple glazed.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Hate the way they never utilise straw bales in the builds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

too much time spent on the people themselves... it's going away from a build and design programme to just another 'reality' biopic show.

I noticed that in this series in particular , they seem to spend more time on the family than in older episodes.

One thing I'm not mad about is timber decking. I know this couple wanted it but from my experience of it, I wouldn't be too keen on it.

It is probably different on the east coast where there is less rain but here in the West, I have 2 friends who have got rid of timber decking as it was damp and therefore quite slippy for most of the year. They went back to the traditional patios and are quite happy with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Radio5 wrote: »
    I noticed that in this series in particular , they seem to spend more time on the family than in older episodes.

One thing I'm not mad about is timber decking. I know this couple wanted it but from my experience of it, I wouldn't be too keen on it.

It is probably different on the east coast where there is less rain but here in the West, I have 2 friends who have got rid of timber decking as it was damp and therefore quite slippy for most of the year. They went back to the traditional patios and are quite happy with them.

It could be composite which is a lot less slippy than traditional timber when wet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It could be composite which is a lot less slippy than traditional timber when wet
    They reused the old wooden decking didn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

TheChizler wrote: »
    They reused the old wooden decking didn't they?
    I think that was only for the raised seating area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Actually its very little time spent out of a 50 minute episode. I think the people are just as important as the build itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Actually its very little time spent out of a 50 minute episode. I think the people are just as important as the build itself.

I love hearing about the people but it seems to be repetitious in that it's the same info over and over eg the utility room or the parents that owned the house...also we don't seem to be seeing much of the houses when they're finished which defeats the purpose..I love the show but this series seems lacking somehow imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,153 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Radio5 wrote: »

Agreed. Some of it is okay, but some of it is just bullsh*t. The one with the brussel sprout farmer where Dermot met him in his field outside Swords at the start, then they went to the house in Rush. Then Dermot checking out his factory afterwards, and on a boat with him...

Given his lack of building experience it would have been far more interesting to see how he did more of that and the challenges he faced doing that than counting bags of brussel sprouts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement