Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,448 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Actually its very little time spent out of a 50 minute episode. I think the people are just as important as the build itself.

very little time?

You must like the people stuff. And fall into RTE's changing target market for this show.

I would prefer the engineering, design, build side of things. When was the last time energy efficiency was mentioned? Or the materials?

But it's definitely not 'very little time'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Everything seems very expensive in the Irish building industry, 20k to insert a steel beam seems outrageous.:eek: A 23% vat rate doesn't help either.
    The British programmes often have dedicated DIY'ers using straw bales etc but we are pretty conservative here. I'd love to see how Dominic Stevens managed to build a house in Leitrim for 25k.:D

recipio wrote: »
    Everything seems very expensive in the Irish building industry, 20k to insert a steel beam seems outrageous.:eek: A 23% vat rate doesn't help either.
    The British programmes often have dedicated DIY'ers using straw bales etc but we are pretty conservative here. I'd love to see how Dominic Stevens managed to build a house in Leitrim for 25k.:D

Think VAT is 13.5% on building work

Still not cheap like but not 23%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,153 ✭✭✭✭Penn

recipio wrote: »

It was more than just a steel beam. The work involved in that considering the length of the beam (think they said it was over 10m), supporting the existing structure, the location of the beam (under/in the ridge of the roof)... These are things which can have a huge factor on cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

lawred2 wrote: »
    very little time?

You must like the people stuff. And fall into RTE's changing target market for this show.

I would prefer the engineering, design, build side of things. When was the last time energy efficiency was mentioned? Or the materials?

But it's definitely not 'very little time'
    Its actually very little time. Its just 30 seconds here, and a minute there. The whole intro was less than 2 minutes with the back story of the house. I have worked on video editing before so I know people can get carried away thinking they spent ages on this and that.

I like the current format (people and the build).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,778 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

To be fair I think part of the reason Room to Improve is so successful is because they spend so much time of the clients. People either love them or hate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I wish they'd spend a little longer going through the finished product. It's usually just a cleverly placed camera swoop but never much direct focus on anything. They'll usually all gather around an area that caused some rumination and agree that the end design is amazing but I'd like to see more of the homes and the rooms as a whole.

Its actually very little time. Its just 30 seconds here, and a minute there. The whole intro was less than 2 minutes with the back story of the house. I have worked on video editing before so I know people can get carried away thinking they spent ages on this and that.

I like the current format (people and the build).

this is a bit circular

let's just agree to disagree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

this is a bit circular

let's just agree to disagree :D
    I don't know about that. I'd have to have my engineer look at those plans and certify that it is indeed circular.

Question though, who is going to pay for the engineer. I only budgeted for a few posts, where's the pretty QS :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I don't know about that. I'd have to have my engineer look at those plans and certify that it is indeed circular.

Question though, who is going to pay for the engineer. I only budgeted for a few posts, where's the pretty QS :P

I'm her ugly cousin. Having reviewed your original plans, you're going to have to either drop the mezzanine from your third post, or alternatively get rid of all punctuation from your next 5 posts. If you drop the punctuation, and keep it to just 2 lines, we can realise savings of about €10k. To save another €5k you'll need to get rid of the vowels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Suckler

I only budgeted for a few posts, where's the pretty QS :P

The QS that gives herself a nickname straight off is a QS to be avoided.

In the Episode in Sutton; I thought her "I don't care" attitude when it came to construction issues was wrong. There was a potential budget overrun because of the mezzanine and the structural beam needed. Fine it happens. (there was no mention of contingency in her budget that I heard?)
    It's not her money. She has a duty to estimate the cost, review the builders valuations and advise the client. If there are cheaper and/or alternative solutions I'd want my QS to be a lot more forthcoming, not an "I don't care".

Edit: That was possibly a "for TV moment" bit of dispute with Dermot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Yer man complaining that he wouldn't fit the double buggy down the side of the house was a bit clueless. Dermo didn't spend too long arguing with him on it - he just let him have his rant.
    How many more months never mind years would he have to do that? By the time the house was finished the double buggy was probably fu(ked out?

Also I notice in this series that when Dermot comes back at the end to see the finished product a phone keeps ringing nobody answers it, it's as if they don't hear it - any body else notice that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

damienirel wrote: »
    Also I notice in this series that when Dermot comes back at the end to see the finished product a phone keeps ringing nobody answers it, it's as if they don't hear it - any body else notice that?

Ya I thought I was the only one, I find even when I turn off the telly I can still hear it

liam7831 wrote: »
    Ya I thought I was the only one, I find even when I turn off the telly I can still hear it

nah you need to really listen dude!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,354 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dermot is on tonights Six O'Clock Show on TV3.

Dermot is on tonights Six O'Clock Show on TV3.

Is he adding a mezzanine and floor to ceiling windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

There's another teacher on tonight, along with the usual shenanigans.
    A teacher plans to move into her grandparents' old 19th-century farmhouse in Co Meath before her wedding. Dermot Bannon discovers the property is outdated, cold and cramped, and begins making plans for a single storey extension. However, costs soon escalate as major problems are discovered with the drains and septic tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Sounds like another entertaining programme! Thanks, Red Kev! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Red Kev wrote: »

Was that actually a waven pipe down through the living room in last week's programme (only watched it yesterday) or was it a steel support, either way how come it wasn't mentioned as it was all I could see when watching, elephant in the room etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Red Kev wrote: »

Another septic tank problem haha. Would they not be planning on a tank upgrade anyhow if they were applying for planning permission?
    I'm sure they would include a PC sum for these types of old houses when thinking about the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

sword1 wrote: »
    Was that actually a waven pipe down through the living room in last week's programme (only watched it yesterday) or was it a steel support, either way how come it wasn't mentioned as it was all I could see when watching, elephant in the room etc
    That was dicussed at length further back in this thread. I think it was generally agreed here that it is a support post that was painted that colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Eyepatch wrote: »
    That was dicussed at length further back in this thread. I think it was generally agreed here that it is a support post that was painted that colour.

OK thanks, had a look back along with the elephant, aw well it really took from the room and I felt they should have mentioned /explained it. Thought I might have missed some of the programme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Eyepatch wrote: »

I wonder could we email Dermot with or observations and questions ? IF he would reply they could be good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭skydish79

Bullocks wrote: »
    I wonder could we email Dermot with or observations and questions ? IF he would reply they could be good :D

He's on twitter and does reply to some observations

Fecken teachers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Fecken teachers...

Now! Now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Fecken teachers...
    Minister wrote: »
    They are nicer than last weeks couple - probably because they are not teachers!!!!
    C'mon H B 😊 Every time there has been a teacher there has been a real bossy attitude from them!!! 😉
    They are teachers with their usual sense of entitlement........
    If you've a teacher in the family you'd take no notice of the couple!
    I think so!

Both of them teachers again!
    The next time I hear a teacher crying the poor mouth, I'll send them a link to this programme.

Looking forward to tonights programme. Every second house seems to be for teachers. Wonder how hands on with the physical work will they be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Someone not like teachers :D

I'm not a teacher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Here we go now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement