Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I liked the house at the end for the most part. Open plan needed exposed beams to give it character. I don't get Dermot talking about keeping it traditional, then doing flat white surfaces.

The window is stupid. Even sitting on it, you need to bend down to look out.

Red roof doesn't suit when it wasn't there is before but it won't be too noticeable after a few years.

Overall a good job, nice people and we got to see more of Lisa, Lovely Lisa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Red Kev wrote: »
    Overall a good job, nice people and we got to see more of Lisa, Lovely Lisa.

I miss Patricia.

Come back Patricia, please.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Big windows don't bother me at all. We did have to put a big f*** off fence on one side of the site after one of the neighbours trimmed down the hedge. We flashed some couple of times from bedroom and decided it's probably safer. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Red Kev wrote: »

The window is stupid. Even sitting on it, you need to bend down to look out.

You could see low down out of a full height window without having to build half a window . Ridiculous mistake I reckon

I wonder was the main builder camera shy or why wasnt he seen much on it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Bullocks wrote: »
    I wonder was the main builder camera shy or why wasnt he seen much on it ?

Was lovely Pascal not the main builder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Anyone know how long it takes to show up on RTE Player?

honeybear wrote: »
    Was lovely Pascal not the main builder?

No , there was a younger lad at the start who was the builder but they said Pascal would be running the show . He was a good character in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,775 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Quazzie wrote: »
    Anyone know how long it takes to show up on RTE Player?

Programmes have to be finished on Plus one for starters, but they generally appear fast enough then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I can't understand how people, who are well educated professionals, put blind faith in Dermot even to choose the colour of paint and window frames. Surely they are capable of deciding for themselves. As for the shed extension, I would raise it to the same level as the main house, and slate it. They could have had more rooms in the wasted high ceiling.

• Advertisement

madmaggie wrote: »
    I can't understand how people, who are well educated professionals, put blind faith in Dermot even to choose the colour of paint and window frames. Surely they are capable of deciding for themselves. As for the shed extension, I would raise it to the same level as the main house, and slate it. They could have had more rooms in the wasted high ceiling.

A lot of people would say he's an architect and he's trained to design houses and pick the right finishes!(that's why they get an architect and don't do it themselves)
    If you read back on posts here and people go against Dermot people begin posting why do you get a professional if your not going to take his advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My own view on it, for the shed extension I would've left a lot of it the same. Raise the roof by about 450mm and have full length windows running all along the eaves. Would've really suited the concept he was trying to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,284 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

It remind me of

Homestead (Homestead)
    Brings Value Hoooooooooooome :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,452 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think the whole septic tank muddle was for TV only.
    Certainly in mayo, any planning application for alterations to dwelling will require upgrade of sewage system unless it's of a good standard. I couldn't imagine that tank having passed any kind of inspection so upgrade would likely have been required as part of planning. In addition, if a septic tank was to placed at a lower level, it is my opinion that full new site assessment would be required involving trial hole and new percolation tests as percolation system would surely have to be renewed at lower level also.
    This was all most likely done as part of planning application imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They did well to get it done for 210 k, I was given a site with a similar house and cattle shed joined to it that used to belong to the grandparents and it would have been a bottomless money pit to do it up.

Also those houses were built for a different time and you'd spent the same on it as building a new one from scratch.

I find it hard to believe they got planning without having the septic tank issue sorted first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Dermot Bannon always does a nice job but by God do the clients pay for it.

I am tired of his constant mistakes and blunders and not discussing matters with his clients.

The window in lasts nights programme was ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Genuine question: if you agree on a finish for a house e.g. window size or roof colour and the architect changes it without consulting you, where do you stand with that? Like are clients meant to just suck it up and accept it? Seems unfair.

I get that this could all be just drama for tv but I cannot decide if Dermot is just a bit ditzy and tries to cover his mistakes, or if he genuinely undermines and ignores his clients wishes for their home for what he would prefer his design to have.

Dermot Bannon always does a nice job but by God do the clients pay for it.

I am tired of his constant mistakes and blunders and not discussing matters with his clients.

The window in lasts nights programme was ridiculous.

said it before and saying it again.... its TV! Controversy and breakdown in communications makes for better viewing and gives an edge. Same with all these type of programmes. It would be very boring if it all went honky dory according to plan with no laughs, no hassle, no disagreements. I for one would hate that! In fact they all had a good laugh last night about poo, no toilets, hobbit windows etc. Its not like anyone comes to blows over stuff.

You need to watch this programme with a pinch of salt, chill out (its a Sunday night!) and if you really don't like it then don't watch it... simples ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,152 ✭✭✭✭Penn

said it before and saying it again.... its TV! Controversy and breakdown in communications makes for better viewing and gives an edge. Same with all these type of programmes. It would be very boring if it all went honky dory according to plan with no laughs, no hassle, no disagreements. I for one would hate that! In fact they all had a good laugh last night about poo, no toilets, hobbit windows etc. Its not like anyone comes to blows over stuff.

You need to watch this programme with a pinch of salt, chill out (its a Sunday night!) and if you really don't like it then don't watch it... simples ;)

I agree, but in fairness, the fact that it constantly happens really makes Dermot look bad, regardless of whether it's fake or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

anna080 wrote: »
    Genuine question: if you agree on a finish for a house e.g. window size or roof colour and the architect changes it without consulting you, where do you stand with that? Like are clients meant to just suck it up and accept it? Seems unfair.

I get that this could all be just drama for tv but I cannot decide if Dermot is just a bit ditzy and tries to cover his mistakes, or if he genuinely undermines and ignores his clients wishes for their home for what he would prefer his design to have.

Option 2 I think, although they are worse to let him away with it.

That window last night was ridiculous, there wasn't even anything to look out at from what I could see so I've no idea what this view he was on about was.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    I agree, but in fairness, the fact that it constantly happens really makes Dermot look bad, regardless of whether it's fake or not.

Dermot couldn't care less I'd say. He has more work from this programme than he can deal with. He is always on shows and at exhibitions. He is a TV personality now as well as an architect. He has little to worry about.

Mistakes, personality quirks or whatever, I would still give anything to have him design a house for me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Dermot couldn't care less I'd say. He has more work from this programme than he can deal with. He is always on shows and at exhibitions. He is a TV personality now as well as an architect. He has little to worry about.

Mistakes, personality quirks or whatever, I would still give anything to have him design a house for me. :)

You'd have to be prepared to. Regardless of the original price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭jos28

Last one of the season this evening. Apparently their furniture comes from here
    https://www.salternativefurniture.ie/

I bought some gorgeous chairs from him - just noticed the 'Room to Improve' mention on his FB page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Volvo have a competition to win a consultation with Dermot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Autosport wrote: »

Ironic considering your end product will look like an IKEA showhouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

jos28 wrote: »
    Last one of the season this evening. Apparently their furniture comes from here
    https://www.salternativefurniture.ie/

I bought some gorgeous chairs from him - just noticed the 'Room to Improve' mention on his FB page

There's one more after tonight but it's not finished yet, it'll be delayed a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭jos28

There's one more after tonight but it's not finished yet, it'll be delayed a few weeks

Great stuff !!

Who's watching the program where the fella put's in the big window!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Is there going to be another teacher - again!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,353 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Autosport wrote: »

Yes he's driving a Volvo this series, he has ditched the A5.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement