Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Did they mention where she grew up or did I miss that?

Cavan, I think Ballyjamesduff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

dee_mc wrote: »
    Cavan, I think Ballyjamesduff?

Her accent didn't give her away anyhow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Lisha wrote: »
    Bit harsh, now......

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bloodymice

€430k forr the house and another €150k revamp.They must be earning a whack.
    Anyone know what estate this is in Templeogue? €600k is a lot to live in Templeogue.

€600k would not be expensive for Templeogue. Looking to buy there for the last few years and certainly nothing decent below €550. It's a lovely area. House in The programme is In Glendown by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

ligerdub wrote: »
    To be fair, if there's anytime to be a bit demanding and particular it's for the biggest purchase of your life. It's not like that teacher in the last series who was an absolute weapon after being gifted a house by the in-laws.

I agree and i would be very discerning and was when i built my own house but i would never get an architect like Dermot on board if i couldnt relinquish control over the build.

I know nothing of house building i would tend to urge on going with expert advice. If i really did want something i would make sure i called it out in my brief.

I also would have been very clear on what my real budget was as they stretched far too easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

My understanding is that to get on the show you need a budget of e200000 so wouldn't surprise me if everyone knows the available funds and the rest is played for drama.

Can't blame them for being fussy don't get the Keith hate at all, just someone who wants to be convinced that the money being spent is justified and well thought out and not a architects whim / mistake, and being dragged the other side of the country to look at a house with nothing in common with theirs other than there are windows in it I'd be perturbed too. To me it all seemed like normal discussions and wanting to be convinced by the professionals that the right options are being taken.

Very frustrating that again no discussion about insulation etc considering the house being cold was one of the major issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

My understanding is that to get on the show you need a budget of e200000 so wouldn't surprise me if everyone knows the available funds and the rest is played for drama.

Can't blame them for being fussy don't get the Keith hate at all, just someone who wants to be convinced that the money being spent is justified and well thought out and not a architects whim / mistake, and being dragged the other side of the country to look at a house with nothing in common with theirs other than there are windows in it I'd be perturbed too. To me it all seemed like normal discussions and wanting to be convinced by the professionals that the right options are being taken.

Very frustrating that again no discussion about insulation etc considering the house being cold was one of the major issues.

Well then why go with an architect like Dermot if you dont believe he is professional enough to do it right? There was more to him than that as he was trying to understand all the jobs and was making changes without consulting Dermot like the front door section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Bloodymice wrote: »
    €600k would not be expensive for Templeogue. Looking to buy there for the last few years and certainly nothing decent below €550. It's a lovely area. House in The programme is In Glendown by the way.

I remember when those houses were being built in Glendown:o

You have bought them for ............................£50k or €63k new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,771 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

hinault wrote: »
    I remember when those houses were being built in Glendown:o

You have bought them for ............................£50k or €63k new.

Wasn't £50k a lot of money back then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Wasn't £50k a lot of money back then?

Average industrial wage would have been about £7k (€9k) per annum.
    Income tax was 55-65% though, and bank interest rates were at least 5%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I was wondering where it was!!! I was thinking somewhere near Supervalu! Not very familiar with that part of templeogue except to drive to Supervalu!
    Fell asleep half way through it. They said they bought house for €434k. How much did they spend in the end €200k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Evidently it's the going rate for Templeogue alright.It's bonkers bubble prices though.
    What's 'lovely' about the area? It's a vast dreary housing estate, with identikit, badly insulated houses, on the edge of the M50 with a nightmare commute in to the city.
    The price is the price only because of our manipulated housing market.
    Good luck with the house hunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Did they mention where she grew up or did I miss that?

Opposite side of the n11 to foxrock but still Called foxrock:rolleyes: in other words, Cavan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I loved the finished product, apart from another orange pipe :eek: I assume they're structural but with all the steel that went in you'd think it wouldn't be needed.

The light in the house at the end was unreal, huge difference from the original house. I didn't think I would like the porch but I think the half and half worked well, nice shelter when you get to the door in the rain.

Loved the dog's house :D

I loved the finished product.............

Indeed, a really lovely house.
    Wouldn't fancy paying for it though tbh but to each their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I have to say that house came out lovely in the end. They didn't really show the upstairs, the main bathroom or master bedroom. I'm guessing they weren't finished.
    But the house was much brighter and liveable, so much space. Fair play to them for sticking with keeping the fridge in the kitchen, I thought it looked fine, can't believe Dermot was pushing them to change it for an integrated one which are expensive when the QS was the whole time trying to get the budget down.

Thought they were a lovely couple. They were right to involve their neighbours in the decision regards the extension, you don't want to get on the wrong side of your neighbours, you have to live next door to them for the rest of your lives. Gosh they seemed to edit the show to make it look like he was always there, I'd say it was just the way his shifts worked that he probably had more time to be there during the day than his wife had, plus he was only staying down the road, he could probably pop up for 5 or 10 mins to check on things. One thing that was strange on the show was they showed him getting a call for work, but then they show him still going around the house for at least 2 minutes of the show afterwards, did he not have to rush off for work?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Sunny Dayz wrote:
    One thing that was strange on the show was they showed him getting a call for work, but then they show him still going around the house for at least 2 minutes of the show afterwards, did he not have to rush off for work?!

He wasn't called to an emergency, he was just offered an overtime shift!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

dee_mc wrote: »
    He wasn't called to an emergency, he was just offered an overtime shift!
    Oh was that it? That's grand, to me they just showed him getting a work phone call, I assumed it was an emergency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Oh was that it? That's grand, to me they just showed him getting a work phone call, I assumed it was an emergency.

I think that was just an excuse to show off the Superman phone case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭terminator74

Evidently it's the going rate for Templeogue alright.It's bonkers bubble prices though.
    What's 'lovely' about the area? It's a vast dreary housing estate, with identikit, badly insulated houses, on the edge of the M50 with a nightmare commute in to the city.
    The price is the price only because of our manipulated housing market.
    Good luck with the house hunt.

do you actually know Glendown or the surrounding area?
    Its a lovely area and a great place to live
    Glendown is neither vast nor dreary. Close to fantastic amentities, schools, parks, sport clubs. Yes the commute to town is rubbish and its a mile from the M50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

AFAIK in Dublin all firefighters are just on shifts, so are never on call like they are down the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

vicwatson wrote: »
    I saw the man anyway, briefly

My bad, obviously saw someone that looked like him as appatentely they weren't there as they were on holidays:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

do you actually know Glendown or the surrounding area?
    Its a lovely area and a great place to live
    Glendown is neither vast nor dreary. Close to fantastic amentities, schools, parks, sport clubs. Yes the commute to town is rubbish and its a mile from the M50
    You sound like an estate agent.
    I do know it very well. Glendown is part of Templogue which is just a large unremarkable housing estate. Your ideas of 'fantastic' and 'lovely' are different to mine obviously. That's fair enough. It's all subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭terminator74

You sound like an estate agent.
    I do know it very well. Glendown is part of Templogue which is just a large unremarkable housing estate. Your ideas of 'fantastic' and 'lovely' are different to mine obviously. That's fair enough. It's all subjective.

no I'm not an estate agent but yes we obviously have widely different interpretations. On this basis most of Dublin is just one large 'unremarkable' housing estate ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 IrishBelle

Room To Improve is the ultimate in absolute notions :D But I do love it!

Really liked the end result last night. But as with most of the other episodes, I end up spending an inordinate amount of time worrying about how they will clean all the windows. This concern is from personal experience... I had a glass coffee table once.

Keith reminded of a student(probably mature) who never stops asking questions no matter how much something was explained to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

I have to say that house came out lovely in the end. They didn't really show the upstairs, the main bathroom or master bedroom. I'm guessing they weren't finished.
    But the house was much brighter and liveable, so much space. Fair play to them for sticking with keeping the fridge in the kitchen, I thought it looked fine, can't believe Dermot was pushing them to change it for an integrated one which are expensive when the QS was the whole time trying to get the budget down.

Thought they were a lovely couple. They were right to involve their neighbours in the decision regards the extension, you don't want to get on the wrong side of your neighbours, you have to live next door to them for the rest of your lives. Gosh they seemed to edit the show to make it look like he was always there, I'd say it was just the way his shifts worked that he probably had more time to be there during the day than his wife had, plus he was only staying down the road, he could probably pop up for 5 or 10 mins to check on things. One thing that was strange on the show was they showed him getting a call for work, but then they show him still going around the house for at least 2 minutes of the show afterwards, did he not have to rush off for work?!

They waited until the very last opportunity to run the extension by the neighbours and then they only dropped the height by a foot.

He got a call offering an extra shift, he wasn't on call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Enjoyed the show. As with other posters I was surprised no mention was made of insulation and energy efficiency. It was mentioned at the start how cold the whole house was, not just the extension, and yet there was nothing further said on the issue It seemed to be all about light and windows and height as per usual.

The house is Mayo didn't appeal to me and I couldn't see the point of the visit, given that it was as far removed from a surburban semi-d as you could get. Surely Dermot could find a house somewhere in Co. Dublin that might help the clients see what he was trying to do?

The bit with the neighbours looked bad. If you're doing something to your property which will so obviously impact on them, it is common sense to tell them about it in good time. Doesn't matter whether they needed planning or not it was clearly going to make a difference to their property. Maybe it was all for the camera and they knew about it already who knows.

What we've to remember about the neighbors is that Keith was from the area so he probably knew them anyway and would have known how'd they react to the extension. They might have been the type to kick up a fuss over anything so he might have wanted to give them less time as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I know you pay well for houses in Dublin but 436,000 and another 200 k on top of that to do it up is a lot of debt to be dealing with.

He'll need a lot more OT to pay that off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement